Emigrating in Europe

Reaching 65 in a few years and living in the Netherlands and looking for a country in Europe to emigrate to. So very interested in people who emigrated and their experiences specifically about healthcare, housing, and the way of life. So please share your experiences. Interested in Spain, France, Portugal and Greece?

Moved from the UK to rural France. I was looking for the rural life and France has a lot of space. Also a very good health care system and a local community, ground upwards sense of applying legal requirements. France has a large bureaucracy but also a large local resistance to applying it.
I think it largely depends on what you are looking for. City or rural life?

3 Likes

Which of the four languages do you speak? If only one, then maybe that’s your answer… if not Gree, then that might be a more difficult choice given the different alphabet. (I haven’t considered such a move, at least partly because I am useless at learning other languages.)

1 Like

Interested in which part of France you’ve gone to.

Mid France. The Charente, reputedly the second least populated region of France. Excellent for doing nothing and walking in the country. Not so good if you want restaurants and or cafe/bars. Both are within driving distance but there are few nearby and even fewer taxis. I live in a hamlet of perhaps 15 houses, 8 full time occupied. Local town council has a total of 1550 people registered as living within their area. That hasn’t changed much from the year 1600 or so.

4 Likes

Good afternoon Cprdam,

Like bruss, I left the UK (Northern Ireland, actually) to retire to France. I moved as soon as I retired at 65 and have been here for over five and a half years. I’m a bit further south than bruss, I think - I’m near Excideuil, in Dordogne. It’s very rural, relatively unspoilt, but pretty well-served in regard to medical provision, vets, fibre broadband and travel (one hour to Limoges airport and two hours to Bordeaux) airport). Culturally it is very good, but it must be recognised that France has a more-or-less completely self-contained pop/rock scene, which is not to everyone’s taste. There is quite a large ex-pat community - mainly British, Dutch and American.

I like it a lot, but my ex-partner did not. If you pursue the idea of moving away from the Netherlands, I would strongly recommend that you rent for six months, or more, before committing to the big move.

Best wishes,

Brian D.

2 Likes

Have you thought of taking holidays in each of these countries, staying away from tourist spots and hotels, and seeing which you like best. Which way of life do you like? Do you speak any or all of the languages? How important is it to be able to get back to the Netherlands to visit friends and relatives? It’s a TGV from France but harder from Greece or Portugal. Once you narrow down the country, renting for six months or a year is a great idea.

1 Like

Almost neighbours!

Exideuil sur Vienne? If so, around 35 mins north of us, near to Montbron.

Our small community has Dutch, Scottish, Belgian as well as us English. The French are making a comeback though as two properties are being renovated and lived in by two separate young couples with children. That is good to see as although our retirement money helps the local economy a little, they really need young working people to move back in.

Edit: Exideuil, Dordogne is south of us, about 1 hour 15 mins.

1 Like

Being part of the EU and going to another part of the EU, is a lot easier than moving somewhere outside the EU or for someone moving into the EU. I think HH’s suggestion of holidays to a few of your chosen locations followed by renting a property would be a good plan. If after this you decide to remain in the Netherlands you will know that it is a positive choice rather than just staying put and you will have had a chance to live in another country for longer than just a holiday. Or you might find your perfect retirement place in a different country.

Good evening bruss,

Your edit is correct. I’m actually in a village of 14 dwellings, part the commune of Saint Martial d’Albarede. We are English (x2), American, Dutch, Irish (me!), Scots and French.

If you feel like an outing to hear some sounds, let me know and we can arrange something.

Best wishes,

Brian D.

1 Like

Moved 5 years ago within Europe and I advice to invest a lot of your time in studying the local administration and (and certainly the experiences of people who did a move before you) with the local administration) in the destination country of your choice. Learn not only about European legislation but also about possible bilateral agreements. Saves me a lot of money like avoiding double taxes. Spain and Portugal are changing (tax) rules and could be less interesting on financial level. Keep in my mind you’re getting older and maybe less mobile. Being closer to a larger city with a large and easier acces (choice) to offical administration, health services, shopping, sport and cultural infrastructure will be important with growing age. Be also aware that leaving behind close family and friends is not given to everybody. Wish you luck on this journey.

Interesting, as in mid 1990s we had a very enjoyable gîte holiday a little north of there (a village called Le Grande Pressigny. On a cycle ride we stumbled across some sort of country fair, which was delightful. My brother-in-law who speaks fluent French chatted to someone at the fair and was asked what on earth brought us there, an area apparently that no-one goes to for a holiday, with even the French escaping elsewhere. And whilst the choice in fact was the luck of a search for suitable accommodation somewhere loosely in Sud Touraine, the French person’s observation explains why to us the place was perfect! We visited again on a campervan trip a couple of years ago, finding the area has grown some cycle routes, and the villages bar is still there, but shockingly (though we were to find not uniquely), its boulangerie has gone.

Unfortunately that has been the sad decline of these rural places. As the older boulangerie owners, plumbers, electricians and other tradespeople retire, there is little appetite for the young to take up those positions.

South of France would be my choice or the Devon coast of the UK (although that’s not Europe anymore).

Devon is in Europe, but not EU!

3 Likes

Well technically the UK is no longer in Europe, you’re an independent island off the coast of Europe. :grin:

1 Like

Not so! EU and Europe are two distinctly different things! Confusing I know, but Europe is a continent, while EU is a group of European countries that have contracted to work together in many ways. There are other European countries that are not in the EU, e.g. Norway, which is part of mainland Europe. l agree Britain is not part of mainland Europe, however Europe contains many islands, including the separate countries Iceland which like UK is not part of the EU, and Eire (Ireland) which is in both Europe and the EU. Also several European countries are both part of mainland Europe and have islands, such as the big islands of Sicily and Sardinia which are parts of Italy, Corsica which is part of France and Sjaelland which is part of Denmark (those all also in the EU).

As a continent, Europe is akin to Australasia, including NZ as well as Aus, and other islands some of which are separate countries. And of course isn’t Tasmania part of the country of Australia and part of Australasia?

2 Likes

Don’t let the Kiwis think they’re part of Australia they’ll declare war. :rofl::rofl:

I am just pulling your leg due to the UKs exit from the EU.

4 Likes

Leg now detached, just like UK is from its sensible former partnership! And returning to thread theme, now I can’t stay in any part/parts of the EU for more than 90 days in 180 days, and IIUC I couldn’t now emigrate there without a formal application, complying with/ meeting the same criteria as would apply to someone from Aus.

2 Likes

Given the similarity between Dutch and Flemish, I’d think Belgium would be an option. Certainly not having the warm climate of those on your list but healthcare is good and quality of restaurants first rate.

My brother has lived there for thirty years, first in Brussels and later in an old farmhouse put in the country. Sort of became the defacto family HQ.