End game headphone choice

My new Grado GS 3000e definitely do PRaT, and they are really magical with the top end source and amp (NDS/555PS/Trilogy 933) however they also sound pretty fine from just my A+K Kann portable DAP. I would not describe them as unforgiving, they retain their fundamental character with both.

I am not great at technical review language but after a listening session I think they are best described as being rather like my SBLs. Fast, fresh, musical. Clean and detailed bass but some might consider bass light? That is also changing a bit with burn-in too.

If you like the GS1000 (which I have also heard) I think you will love them. One thing they do much better is a very natural soundstage and an extremely integrated ‘picture’ with the music filling your head not coming from one or other side. Quite beguiling. When I emerged after an album yesterday I realise I had been totally absorbed and was a bit disorientated!

They will never displace my system for the majority of my listening but they definitely have a place in my music world.

Bruce

2 Likes

Another choice to consider at that sort of price is the Meze Empyreans.

How do you find the Grado for comfort? I had some RS1’s a few years back, loved the sound but couldn’t bear to wear them for more than half an hour. Sound leakage was appalling too, might as well have used speakers.

Thanks, so maybe the Z1R is worth a listen but I must say visually they look like £200 cans, never found Sony to be good at the wow styling thing. Have you ever heard the Stellia? Now that’s a good looking set.

I find the LCD-XC more than adequate and very good at revealing detail I never knew existed, its just much of my music sounds similar with the LCD-XC and I don’t find myself just listening for long periods. I skip by some over bright tracks and usually flit around rather than just sitting back. For day to day listening they are great and sound isolation is very good too, for really enjoying they are less so.

Thanks, not one I’d considered but will keep it in mind

Very comfy. Looking at pictures the GS series pads are much larger and form a cup that surrounds the ear, rather than sitting on top of them like the RS range. I can also wear them comfortably when wearing glasses. They are light too for a higher end headphone although the cable is a bit thick and unyielding but they do supply a long extension so it can be laid without tension. As ever comfort is highly personal so you’d have to try them!

They leak sound a lot. I think they could be annoying in a room with somebody else who was watching TV or just reading.

Bruce

Utopia + Stellia

Classic and open music in Utopia, dance electronica in Stellia

I had sampled when passing a shop in London about 3 months ago, when they were selling ex-demo at a very good price. I felt that given the cost I had to not give into temptation but wait till I could have a proper audition, there being no urgency to get. I’m glad I made that decision, lest that causes me to feel the same as you.

My GS1000 has the large foam cups that I find quite comfortable. The smaller cups on most models are probably more of a problem… Sound leakage with Grado is substantial, though, no doubt about that.

I’ve had a variety of headphone amps including the Chord Dave, Bryston and others. I just recently obtained a Headline 2 with RCA inputs. I’ve got this powered by a HiCap PS and wired out of my ND555 and I’m happy with it. The HiCap makes a difference that can be heard.
I’m using Sennheiser HD800 S and Audeze LCD-4’s. I’ve tried Grado in the past but felt that they had a U shaped response curve.
I use Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cables. However, the LCD-4 comes with a premium cable from Audeze that’s excellent. It’s a $600 option on their lesser HP’s.
The S version of the HD 800’s has tamed the brightness of the original. It’s very comfortable and has the best sound stage of any HP I’ve tried. The LCD-4’s have superbly realistic bass and a warmth the 800 S lacks.
I may try Sennheiser’s new HD 820’s.

Sennheiser 800"s or Stax. If the Senns, the EAR HP4 amp is recommended.

Thanks. Defo a couple to listen to there

I think the Utopia is a great headphone, as is the LCD-4, but I was totally drawn in by the sound of Stax and in particular the L700. All worth a close listen.

1 Like

Interesting update today. I borrowed a balanced cable as all i have myself is an unbalanced one. I think I need to start with the cable, the LCD-XC harshness has mostly gone and the overall sound balance is much better.

The sound stage is still not huge and I’m sure there is still better out there but as far as enjoying the XC its certainly a much nicer experience. I suspect in relation to other high end closed back HPs these are now much more on par with most.

Not heard Utopia, but agree about LCD4s and Stax: best headphones I’ve heard.

I think the Utopia is probably the best balanced headphone I have heard, it’s just that with an amp that can do it justice the cost was too high for me. The Stax has the speed in the bass and detail In the highs, but doesn’t do slam like a dynamic or planner mag, set of phones.

1 Like

So, I’ve ended up with Abyss 1266 Phi HPs. Early days yet but first impressions are these are not your average cans. Fit them loose, really loose, else you lose all the low base. Do you need a powerful amp, oh yes, the Luxman is on high gain and around 80% volume, if you don’t have a powerful amp then pass these ones by. Do they sound good. Oh yes. :grinning:

2 Likes

Piccies onto the Show us your headphones thread?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.