End of my tether

I wouldn’t wish to hassle anyone on this and, to be frank, I should be capable of doing this given my IT knowledge but my vision isn’t great and I’m probably beginning to stress about it too much given that there’s £8k of stuff sitting there unused in boxes and the family just want it sorted for Christmas.

I understand and wish you luck.

Thanks. The irony is huge. It’s taken me more than a year to get to a place where I even wanted to engage with this and now I’ve found something which engaged the whole family and possibly the simplest, but most crucial, element of it doesn’t work.

Buy an Orbi mesh router. Not cheap but brilliant. Get the RBK50. There is a newer more expensive model that supports WiFi 6 but you don’t need that. Dead easy to set up and will give you a bulletproof system pretty much as good as hard wiring.

Just buy it. Forget the cheap extenders and forget the Ethernet over power.

With what money?

This forum is wonderful and the help on this thread has been immense but there is a tendency for people to answer a question with “here is what I would do instead” rather than actually answering the question.

The frustration with the Vonets is that the instructions and video suggest you can set it up via a laptop with Ethernet (which I don’t have) or a smartphone.

What’s not clear to me is whether setting it up on one of those two devices means it’s just set up for one of those two devices i.e. I’m looking to set it up by smart phone/tablet but then want to unplug it from there and plug it into the Innuos knowing/hoping that the Innuos will then be visible on the network without further configuration.

Why not open a thread on that. Some tekies here would be pleased to help.

That’s polite

1 Like

Yes, done just that and on AVForums. On the verge of crying with frustration right now.

Looking at the reviews of the Vonet gizmo it does seem that you have to setup on a laptop to start with.

As you don’t have a laptop with ethernet and wireless maybe it would be worth getting a USB to ethernet adaptor for your laptop to overcome this limitation. We have one and they work well. They cost between £8 and £20 so not too much outlay to overcome all the stress of setup.

Something like this

I suspect that once you have this setting up the bridge will be straightforward.

Well it says laptop or smart phone but I’m not sure what the latter is for. I’ve started a different thread.

Okay, working in bridge mode. Off to do some unboxing. Watch this space.

1 Like

I use my TT2 in ‘AMP’ mode, with ‘Low Gain’ - I use both pairs of Analogue outputs to feed two non-Naim pre-amps of early 00’s vintage (serviced).

On one of the pre’s I can set the input voltage to 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0v - so it is straightforward to set that to 3.0v, and on the other one (an AV version) I use the TT2 inputs into two of the bypass channels (i.e. stereo).

Exactly the sort of thing I need to know thank you. I’m going to start in DAC mode and see how that feels. If there’s not enough travel on the volume then I’ll move like you to Amp mode; go for low gain and try out 2.5v.

Hi, just caught up… I would definitely go HiGain mode on the TT2. the performance in terms of breathability seems to come quite a bit forward… run in Preamp mode, and don’t feel afraid of running the volume around the ‘red’ levels (low levels) into your NAC… it will or should sound wonderful… and by the design of the TT2 you are not effectively losing anything.
I put my TT2 on a top Fraim shelf and pay careful attention to cable dressing. It really does perform pretty damn well.

2 Likes

I would try wifi or wifi mesh… or bite the bullet and use Ethernet… some Ethernet cable is flat and you can lay underneath carpet… I do that in places in SinS towers.

But steer clear of kludges like consumer bridges, Powerline adapters etc… they rarely offer true Ethernet capability and just are a recipe for frustration.

3 Likes

The money you will save on future hard wiring and all the incremental solutions you’ll have tried in-between. And the stress it will ease!

You rightly want a reliable Ethernet connection to a device beyond cabling distance. Mesh devices are designed for that purpose.

@Simon-in-Suffolk thanks for that.

It took a while longer than expected but I’m now live. The Vonets is far too close to the Innuos so there’s some fluttering noises in the background from network activity and it’s not going to be a reliable long term solution but right now it’ll do.

Current order is as follows:

Zenith Empty shelf
202. HC DR
Empty shelf 200
DAC. Empty shelf

The logic was no more than disturbing the least number of boxes; getting the Zenith up top for feeding it CDs

The TT 2 is attached to the 202 via the CD input on RCA using Chord Epic. Not given a thought to cable dressing for now. Nothing is ideal at I]present. Not enough wickets so DAC and bridge running off one socket! For whatever reason it started in low gain mode and muted. For now I’ve left it there and the whole thing can warm up.

Two immediate observations:

1 - I clearly have few room issues. Bass and mids have been restored big time; the presentation is warm and vocals are crystal clear. I could do with it being a but more up front as you suggest but right now it’s just fantastic to have music back.

2 - I was expecting some digital harshness but it’s not obvious.

Is it okay to switch gain modes whilst powered up and muting the relevant input on the 202?

6 Likes

Good work Mike - music at last :+1:

1 Like