English Electric 8Switch

Yeah, and it’s making them sound like they don’t know what they are talking about. I said this already above, if I go to the EE site and it strongly says X, then I pick a dealer from the same site and the first thing he says is no, the opposite is true, it makes either Chord or the dealer sound clueless or dishonest. You should not expect lower standards in the hifi market than for any other expensive equipment you buy

I’m sorry but this is getting a bit silly. What Chord say and what a Dealer says can actually be quite different - why on earth does this mean they don’t know what they’re talking about? Different views, that’s all.

Does it make Naim sound as if they don’t know what they’re talking about because my dealer prefers non-Naim cabling (and I agree with him)?

1 Like

I found this interview with Alex Crespi of Uptone Audio by the San Francisco Audiophile Society:

Interview contains his views on power supplies as well.
2 Likes

I think you might find that the PS in question is the one that Chord had already identified as being best. Also, as we’ve covered before, it’s not just a different case.

They say an LPS is unsuitable. Their upstream provider says the opposite. Their downstream dealer says the opposite. Just does not make sense to me. I use quite expensive Sarum T cables because I like them, but is it good business for them that when I read something on their website I better doubt it?

The PS thing is not about preferences

As you posted on the Screen Freeze thead :grinning:

Ok, whatever, but I have to say it doesn’t bother me at all. I’m really happy with my 8Switch as it is, out of the box, standard ps. It’s also not in any way causing me to question why I use a Music streaming cable.

1 Like

Can’t see anything wrong with that or contradictory to what I wrote here

Re: dealers knowing better than the manufacturer

I am also happy with my EE and the stock PS, as I wrote further up several times. This is not about that. I would also have no problem with them saying that the SMPS is fine for most, but if you want the absolute best here is the LPS upgrade. Would not be different from them selling Epic and Music cables. This doesn’t change that there is a disconnect between statements and also experiences that is unfortunate, and I don’t think the attempts to explain it with marketing etc are convincing/sufficient. I just think it’s a riddle, don’t see what’s wrong with questioning what is going on. But anyways I already said, before the discussion was restarted, that whatever, I can live with it only bothering me if nobody else cares. It wasn’t me who restarted it by replying to me

I’m not saying here that the dealer is always right and that the dealer is always wrong in the other thread, so I still don’t know what your problem with it is

But they’re not even addressing the issue you’re having, are they? Why would they, it’s only been on the market for less than a year. It’s early days yet.

Chord (and their marketing) simply state that they tried both types of PS and preferred SMPSs based upon listening. This particular SMPS was selected at a price point they felt was reasonable when the switch was being developed. Since it launched, there have been, quite naturally, various attempts by 3rd parties to improve things. All quite normal.

I had a chat with them at Bristol when it was launched and they were adamant that their SMPS delivered better performance than the LPSs they tried. They did also say that it was perfectly possible that there may be a better power supply available in the future.

1 Like

Switches require high speed power supplies so we could not opt for a linear power source due to their speed limitations.

On the website

And:

This clean supply permits an optimum quality network signal, driven by high-accuracy TCXO clock technology.

And I thought my terrier was the king of not letting go…

G

4 Likes

I wonder if actually Suedkiez has problems in getting asleep at night, with such questionings :rofl:

Am I not allowed to reply to replies made to me? I said more than once I don’t really care so much, but I admit that I do find it quite annoying with the nonfactual statements and handwaving, so yeah I will reply to them if posed to me.

IMHO if we are serious about hifi such questionings are quite normal. Or maybe you want to ask the question in the ethernet cable thread. Here we have a well-regarded manufacturer stating something very clearly about their own product and everyone from hobbyists to professionals says that they know better. Not everyone can be right at the same time.

The problem here is no one is able to prove convincingly one way or another, and all judgements are subjective based on personal expectation and preferences.

I find it amusing to say the least that someone or some folks even have multiple ER or EE or CISCO switches in tandem. I say we all live in a mad world.

Money should be spent on something sensible!!!

1 Like

And there is no problem with that either, if we are talking about sound quality. If we are talking about things like marketing, product pricing, or technical specifications given by the manufacturer, there is not much more to say than “yeah it’s odd”, instead of blaming me for pointing out that explaining it away with, e.g., “but Chord cannot say that there is something better” is not convincing in the hifi market or Chord specifically, or that their website contradicts other statements which e.g. they may have made at some hifi show. These are simple facts, get off my back :slight_smile:

Don’t take me seriously, was just kidding. Someone last night called me silly :chicken:. I hope he was kidding :laughing:

:+1: I hope we are all aware that even in the somewhat heated debate I’m sure everyone is in it in a jolly way, I certainly am even if I don’t add emojis every time. It’s not a life and death thing, and it may be normal in hifi, I just don’t think it’s a good state of things and haven’t been convinced otherwise. As a Chord customer I suppose I am allowed to say that it’s confusing to me

2 Likes