English Electric 8Switch

They do provide a power supply. It’s just that everyone expects they can do better :grin:

1 Like

English Electric provide a power supply for the EE8 switch? Are you sure?

Yep, it’s in the box.

3 Likes

And very well it works too

5 Likes

Hi Patu
Did you get your new ATC scm50a yet?

For months now I have been using router - EE8 - ND5XS2 joined by BJC 6a.

Today I (once again) changed to: router - Cisco 2960 PD using its external smps plugged in with a CHC Powerblack iec cable - EE8 - ND5XS2, all connected with BJC 6a except for the final leg using the free Chord streaming cable that came with the EE8.

Just like last time, this sounded immediately a bit louder, but also better, more forward and slightly more funky and fun. Overall, a fairly subtle change, but definitely better.

When I made this change this afternoon, I’d forgotten that I’d tried this before, so it was interesting for me to look back at what I’d noted last time and find that I got the same result.

This time I will leave the Cisco in, and also the Chord cable as the last leg from EE8 to Naim streamer.

2 Likes

Hi Terry, yeah I did. I’ve had them for ~three months already. Stunning speakers really. Clear upgrade from 40A, as they should be.

1 Like

I still love the MeiCords in my EE 8Switch - a more dynamic, deeper, wider presentation, and better PRaT than BJC 6a. Especially with electronic music.

My thoughts too. I find the Meicord’s to be much more musical than the BJC’s

1 Like

Did they take a lot of running in?

1 Like

Wow!

That little change I made this afternoon - putting in a Cisco PD and adding the Chord cable between EE8 and streamer - has really made a nice impact on SQ.

I think that’s what’s good about this tweaky area of switches and cables - that it can sometimes make a ‘5%’ change that gets you closer to the music.

1 Like

Yes, a lot of running in. It’s only when one takes them out and switch to something else and then go back to them, does one realise how good they are. I normally allow for a few days to adjust before switching…

The BJC’s are good and i could easily hang on to them, it’s just that in my system the MeiCord Opals are infinitely better.

Hmm. Not sure about infinitely better. All these changes are at the edges, and very often you can reverse a change you’d previously made and thought improved things, only to find the change made things worse. Since getting the EE and the BJCs I’ve not thought about the network again. Life’s too short for endless tweaking, which is clearly where you have got to as well.

8 Likes

Yes i’m in a happy place too. Feels good to just sit back and not search for anything like the days of old. Really pleased with my new speakers to finish things off nicely as well.:+1:

2 Likes

I sold my MeiCord Opal. Wherever I used it it seems to make the bass bloaty compared to BJC or others. Anyway, now I have an almost all fiber path to the V1, and use BJC everywhere else and quite happy and no extra tweaking needed.

2 Likes

I don’t tweak - Just plug in and listen. To my ears the MeiCords are more enjoyable than BJC 6a, hard to explain, but more foot tapping-ly better is how i would explain things…

1 Like

I found the Meicord better textured and more organic vs the BJ. It’s definitely, for me, the best value in Ethernet cables, vs a dozen I could heard. It’s more similar to the Catsnake, but with a better controlled bass.

2 Likes

And that’s all that counts!

1 Like

Yes, i have CatSnake here also, not anywhere near as good. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

DUB reggae with the n-SATs man! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes