English Electric 8Switch

Better get yourself an N-Sub then!

Or a pair of Credos in a Naim active system. Been there, done that. Think i’ll stick thanks. Bass lite - keep it tight. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, sorry for the offtopic, but don’t want to create another new thread about Melco servers. You @frenchrooster now the best according to your posts, comparison, reviews and your personal audio equipment. ndx2<-2xbonn8<-dc3 lps. Melco is on the way, where it should be placed in the chain for the best result? Next to ndx2 or before bonn switches?

I, like some here who have Melco and Naim streamers, prefer the direct Ethernet connection between the Melco and Naim, so Ndx2 in your case.
So Melco to second Bonn 8 and Melco to Ndx2 by Ethernet ( the Melco has 2 ports, one is called the player, so that one for Ndx2).
Hope it will help.

2 Likes

Melco N100?

Entry level N1A for changing silent fanless QNAP (2xssd), but at the beginning 1A/2 just for testing, I could swap to different model.

Can’t say, you need to try. Generally people commented on N1h or N1z or N10. Maybe a connection to a switch, if a good one, will be better.
It’s what you have ?

Wouldn’t say that Bonn8 (same as EE 8switch) is good one, they’re entry-level ‘audio’ switches. My LPS for them didn’t arrive yet, so can’t tell. Your one box phoenixNet is a different high-level one box thing with Sean’s LPS inside. By the way, can you please drop a short line about your nds+melco vs. nds+melco+phoenexNet. ? Melco itself works as an ethernet isolator with twin RJ45ports as I understand. Isn’t audio switches redundant then?

I had three different switches the last 2 years. Cisco 2960 , Etheregen / MCRU, and now PhoenixNet.
Each time I compared Nds and Melco both to the switch and Nds to Melco direct. Each time the Melco direct was better.
But the switch itself, from Cisco to Etheregen then Innuos gave a very worthwhile upgrade. The upgrade from Cisco to Innuos is a box upgrade, like going from bare Ndx2 to Ndx2 /555dr. I am not exaggerating.

1 Like

I missed the fact you had the PhoenixNet @frenchrooster, useful feedback thanks, have been considering one myself.

1 Like

How does it work?

What does it do?

Jim, @Gazza can explain too.
As I had already shared, the Etheregen / MCRU was a major upgrade for me, in my system, vs the Cisco.
The Innuos PhoenixNet is still better, by maybe 15%.
So between the Cisco and Innuos, it’s really a big step.
How does it work ? Can’t really say, apart that the Innuos has ocxo clocks, and Sean Jacobs linear ps inside.
It’s a big box, but very expensive. But no more expensive as Etheregen / MCRU pinnacle / additional clock.

1 Like

A new switch, AFTERDARK. Project CLAYX Buffalo BS-GS2016 CASCADE X Giesemann OCXO black modernize edition.
You have, in one box, the Buffalo switch, the linear ps, and the ocxo clock.

3 Likes

How many do you need? Has anyone done a blind test?

3 Likes

The more out there the more chances the prices may drop making them more affordable for all.

1 Like

It’s made in China, the prices are very attractive.
I don’t need it but it may interests some here. Having a buffalo switch ( =Melco), a linear ps and an ocxo clock in one box is attractive too.
The reason I bought the PhoenixNet.

1 Like

Still most good switches (EE8 type) are really expensive here. With all the new ones popping up it may help stabilise the prices.

1 Like

@JimDog Not really much to add I guess the clock is improving the timing which is self evident when listening to say Aja by Steely Dan and others. The extra clarity and detail is good design? , and the Sean Jacobs power supply lowering the noise floor. In the context of the cost of my system i thought the Phoenix net was well worth it, but if too expensive the Etheregen is a bit of bargain. I have not tried the EE8 by Chord.

1 Like

Im impressed that’s the most expensive (well here at least) of all the audio grade switches.

The top Anzus is 5k, and the M12 gold is 6k. For me it’s a great value Pete.