English Electric 8Switch

It’s great on its own, that’s how I’m using mine. I will try cascading at some stage as I’ve now got the spare Cisco.

1 Like

In my case, Peder, it’s 1m Sarum T from 8Switch to Innuos and then 2m Music from Innuos to KDSM.

I’ve still got the 2m Sarum T that I used before getting the Music, so it might be interesting to see if there’s any mileage in using that from the Cisco to 8Switch.

Like Nick, I swapped back to the Cisco this afternoon and it lasted only a couple of minutes.

1 Like

That’s good to know Dave. Yes i’m only looking to use a single switch. Thankyou.

1 Like

Got one of these today. Early impressions are WOW. Easily sees off my netstream switch which I had preferred over the commonly liked Cisco. Much clearer and much more musical. Given that in my experience it’s hard to get both I think that this is a real achievement for Chord at a modest cost. As others have noted it’s quite small but it is very nicely finished

4 Likes

Murrayh said “Got one of these today.”

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you got from Chord?

Sorry thought it would be apparent from thread title but the English Electric switch is what I got

1 Like

Thanks Murrayh.

These threads drift and it isn’t always too clear where the subject has drifted.

:small_blue_diamond:@murrayh,…Hi,.I agree with you,.I think most people understand that,given how you expressed yourself,.and the title of the thread…!!

A friend has just got home an 8Switch,.and he says like you…WOW.
I’m running myself Cascade Cisco’s,.with dual custom-built Linear Power Supply’s.
These LPS are built and specially optimized against these Cisco’s.

So it will be interesting to later test this combination against 8Switch.

That Chord chooses a SMPS-solution for its 8Switch,.i think it’s more about keeping the price at a reasonable level.
This is to be able to reach large groups of customers.
So I think,.there will later be reports,of those who tested this 8Switch with specially adapted LPS.

I think we can look forward to reading about it, or testing it ourselves.

Stay safe…
/Peder🙂

2 Likes

Yes it would be good to hear it with an improved power supply. I have looked on a few web sites but they do not publish voltage/ amp requirements as far as i could tell. Perhaps one of the new users could post power requirements?

1 Like

5v 1 Amp

I believe Chord were very picky about the power supply, and is a key part of the performance (as one would expect).

1 Like

Agree … plus - a well designed SMPS will be quieter than a LPS.
The EE 8Switch SMPS is, according to the blurb, designed for the purpose.

2 Likes

Thanks Nick.

I have just played Brain Damage from DSOTM. I have been playing this song \ album for 47 years ( gulp ) for the first 33 mainly vinyl then CD (555) and more recently ND 555. I have never heard it sound as good as today. I will put my head out and say that you won’t hear what the 555 is capable of without this switch or something equivalent. Re the power supply I have it plugged in to the end of my tap on stack as part of the system chain. Switch on it’s own Fraim shelf with Ethernet plugged into the socket next to the power inlet and Core and 555 at the opposite end with spare socket between the two. This gives a noticeable improvement over other combinations

3 Likes

I’d finished my chores (cleaning the windows in the shed), so ordered one today. Delivery tomorrow😀.

Looking forward to the fun, as I hadn’t got on board with the Cisco recommendations and the 8Switch will replace my basic Netgear unit.

2 Likes

I’ve also got one of these on order. I need a few more Ethernet connections to the lounge hi-fi rack and I’m looking for a switch with no sonic signature if possible. I’ll caveat that as i don’t want something that produces an audible effect downstream at the digital to analogue conversion stage - switches themselves can’t have a sonic signature.

Putting in another 2960 wouldn’t be good (i prefer the sound of my system with my 2960 located elsewhere) and recent trials with a spare GS105 i had weren’t good, even with the old spec Netgear linear supply. If it makes things worse then it’ll go back and i’ll run a few more cables in but i thought i’d take the easy (if more expensive) approach first…

I’ll award myself a face palm…

6 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Mick_B,…Wow,.then you maybe fall out of your chair,out of surprise. :grin:

/Peder🙂

1 Like

I’ll shall be watching with interest James. I pretty much feel the same way in that i don’t want a switch to impose it’s own sound signature onto my Naim streamer. This is one of the main reasons i have decided to use the excellent wifi capabilities from my ND5 XS 2. I want to enjoy my Naim system from it’s rawest form.

I hope it all works out for you and for the right reasons. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Exactly Stephen. The 2960 was a pleasant surprise and apart from initial experiments with location (Rack or distant location - thanks for the tip there @Simon-in-Suffolk) it’s been left alone as i was pleased with the results and felt no need to fiddle with any network related items. From what’s been already mentioned earlier in the thread, i’m hoping for no loss of performance and maybe a minor gain…

1 Like

Interesting stuff, and I’ll be watching the reaction from the new owners and the soon-to-be owners of the EE 8Switch.

Now what would be very interesting is an A/B comparison between the EtherRegen and the 8Switch.

@Darkebear, @Peder (and friends), anybody?

4 Likes

Nigel good to hear from you, I was a bit worried hadn’t seen a post for a while. :+1:

2 Likes