English Electric 8Switch

@frenchrooster, @Pete_the_painter, hello chaps, I’m well, thanks for the kind thoughts.

Trust you both, and all forumites, are well.

Keep safe and and keep the faith, all.

2 Likes

My EE switch arrived this morning. A neat, well finished little box that doesn’t look out of place on the rack. The activity lights are nice and discreet too - i don’t really want a box twinkling away and visible out of the corner of my eye when i’m listening to some tunes. The power supply is a little wall wart, reminiscent of the type supplied with the Chord Qutest DAC. Apart from plumbing it in, i’ve not really had a proper chance to have a listen but initial impressions are that it doesn’t make things worse - so that’s a good start. I’ll report back in due course.

12 Likes

See, none of us trusted you with that pressure washer😉

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:James_n,…It looks nice in your rack :+1:t2:.

/Peder🙂

3 Likes

I agree, it does look nice in your rack.

I wonder why more people have bought the English electric vs the Etheregen.
The look? Number of ports? Because it’s a uk product?

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…How do you know that…??

/Peder🙂

It’s an impression. The English electric is available since very recent time and already 9 new owners.

1 Like

Count me in

1 Like

I wrote 9, because Stephen T will soon buy one too.
Can you tell me the reason of your choice vs the Etheregen? Just curious

2 Likes

Does I need to add you @Xanthe, as you liked the post?

Not as yet. I liked the post, but I haven’t tried the product.

1 Like

I think that maybe it’s because of it’s wider availability. If i decide i don’t like the product after a trial period then i think the English Electric unit will be a lot easier for a return. Plus i quite like the look if it. I think it has a rather smart and understated appearance.

1 Like

Well, to me, it looks better and it’s about £200 cheaper … so I’m trying it …

2 Likes

Nice write up Pat. Thanks for the detailed evaluation.

Now interested to hear about the outcome of EE run-in and alternative power supplies.

2 Likes

I didn’t heard the English electric and don’t think I will now, as I am very satisfied with the ER.
I heard personally the same as Suzy description of the EE.
The ER, vs Cisco 8tcl, 8 ttl, and Cascade Cisco with vodka, sounds more real, airy, richer on tones and textures, and a bit quicker. More real. ( only with stock smps).
Perhaps the EE is still better, I don’t know. But I could clearly hear the differences.

1 Like

I was in the demo at the Bristol show when they swapped it in for a Netgear X05 (in the blue box). Differences were very apparent, which as we all know, is impossible because it’s all 1s and 0s, and bitz iz bitz innit?

5 Likes

Nice and meaningful comparison, identifying the streamer (critically important), and with some blind testing, too. Of course the reason why - what exactly it is doing - is unknown, but the info you’ve given lends itself to consideration by others, and the reason at this stage can only be speculative.

Given your extensive post I hesitate to suggest more, though it is possible that whatever else is connected to the network could be of significance and therefore a description of the remainder of the network might be of use at some point.

Suzy, it’s a typo / memory error. I wanted to say as PatM. Sorry.
But finally it created an interesting post from you.

1 Like

I was on another thread in the same time…