English Electric 8Switch

But why play her favorite track backwards?

More impressions of the 8Switch.

Very nicely packaged (think Apple standard), and very solidly built with discreet channel lights (more on that later).

Very easy to swap in place of my previous Netgear GS105 (very basic) so expecting great things.

On first switch on I thought it wasnā€™t working as the display lights are very discreet and hard to see in daylight, but they were glimmering so all good and time for a listen.

In an abundance of caution Iā€™d powered down the ND 555, so knew there would be a warm up period, but immediately it was better than before. The 8Switch seems to retain the ā€œNaiminessā€, but adds depth, texture and a greater sense of interplay between musicians. An even bigger improvement streaming Tidal than using my Core so far, so looking forward to hear how the system improves further over time.

So is it better than the Netgear? - certainly

Is it better than a Cisco? - donā€™t know, never used one.

Is it worth the money over a Cisco? - well, for me itā€™s given >Ā£450 enjoyment so far and didnā€™t involve me getting involved with buying second hand and any risks there. Plus, it should be optimised for network audio with few compromises.

Happy days ahead.

Stay safe out there.

9 Likes

Sorry for delay - nothing to report on comparative demos - Iā€™ve been rather happy with my ER switch so have not really found that yearning to try another. The ER did take a long time (for me) to come on-song in context of my system - it took more than two weeks to begin to really breath and open-out - Iā€™d say after a few months now it has just done more of all that - and still with the stock ā€˜poorā€™ PS it shipped with! :slightly_smiling_face:

If the EE switch is better, then when things normalize (if that happens) Iā€™ll look forward to listening to what that does - my Dealer also has some supplies for me to try when I feel like it at the appropriate time.

All good here - had a family death to the Covid recently and hearing others on this forum who I like and respect are fighting with it has kind of put a perspective on this stuff for a bit for me.
I think it good to keep-on with hobbies and stuff to keep your own (in-)sanity levels at appropriate level, so I will aim to post a bit more of my own little adventures HiFi ahead. :bear:

DB.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that - and as you say, the virus does put perspective on some other things.

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear your terrible news, and so sorry to bother you with nonsense such as switches, though I note you get some reward from continuing with your hobbies.

Glad you are well though.

3 Likes

Iā€™m fine :slightly_smiling_face:

I enjoy reading on continuing experiments and delights of devices so good we have that here!

I can say that leaving things to settle - which Iā€™m probably over-good at - does help with run-in and cables all settling-in. Iā€™ve found also that not continually experimenting once you have a range of good results helps me set a baseline to assess things better ahead and prevent (hopefully) expensive mistakes.

I like what the ER inserted did with the ND555 and rest of system presentation it terms of tuneful clarity - a spooky 3D image in my room on a lot of old live recordings - and hearing lots more tunes being played where before it was a mush when things got busy or congested on a recording is a delight.

DB.

That all makes a lot of sense.

I too like to leave things to settle and not always keen to move on to the next new shiny thing.

But I have played with Cisco 2960 switches and now have a 2-chain. I have always thought that, although 2960s offer a great VFM uplift, there is more to be had from a switch arrangement optimised for audio replay.

So I will most likely invest in either a EtherRegen or a English Electric 8Switch, hence my seeking some comparisons on here.

2 Likes

Glad you are well and back. Very sorry for your family person loss.
Keep safe :bear:

Very sorry to hear that DB and extend my condolences.

1 Like

Thanks - how are you doing with it?
It was my Uncle on Dadā€™s side - he managed 88 years so it was just the way it ended that was upsetting.

DB.

Sorry to hear that DBā€¦we are doing food runs to our parents of that age,trying to keep them out of harms wayā€¦but at this age anything can happen. My condolences.
Gazza

Out of respect to Nick and to the others who have made constructive and positive contributions to this thread, I have decided itā€™s fairest just to rewind it back to yesterday. Apologies to anyone whoā€™s constructive post got removed along the way.

That way we can move on and I might suggest that to anybody who is in any way sceptical about the marketing of the product or whether it has been properly optimised for audio, it seems thereā€™s a no obligation trial period, so what not take advantage and try it out for yourself; that way youā€™ll know for sure whether it makes a positive difference for you, or not.

Anyway, letā€™s have no more back-biting on here, itā€™s time to move on.

Carry onā€¦

11 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Richard,.I really agree with you on this,.more practice and less theory.

Then we would avoid these unnecessary hypothetical discussions,.about things you have not tried,but still for some reason have strong opinions about.

Anyway,.back on trackā€¦:+1:

Iā€™m interested to hear if anything else has happened in soundquality,.@PatM,@Nick.Lees,@Mick_B and the rest of you here,.who already have EE 8Switch.

/PederšŸ™‚

1 Like

James interested in any feedback about this products Ethernet optimisation for audio. I see no mention of IGMP snooping on their website which in my opinion is essential for devices supporting high quality digital audio on a network Are you able to advise? In fact the web site appears misleading referring to frame jitterā€¦ which is regrettableā€¦ but I guess itā€™s more a marketing sales pitch than any sort of meaningful statement.

I assume you can connect to the switch to validate connections for data quality ?

Look forward to your reply.

1 Like

Glad to see this thread is back on track, and I too am interested in more feedback from actual user experience and any comparisons with the EtherRegen switch, if there are any out there.

I know it is early days for the EE 8Switch, but it will also be of great interest to learn if its performance is enhanced through the use of different power supplies (other than that supplied as standard) and the deployment of certain connected Ethernet cables.

I know I can take advantage of the 30-day money back trial but I would prefer to gather sufficient third party evidence to give me enough confidence to try and hence minimise the chances of a return of the product.

I hope he wasnā€™t on his own.

Iā€™m getting a little better every day, thanks, but itā€™s a long, slow slog and some symptoms that seemed to have gone for good then come back again, so youā€™re never entirely sure where you are. Still, overall, itā€™s onwards and upwards and managing to continue working, albeit at a careful pace, so not bored.

Keep safe and well!

1 Like

Get well soon, Michael.

1 Like

Unfortunately he was due to the current policy - he got the Illness, recovered (he was tough) and then after release from hospital he just died. Probably the damage due to immune response as he was a bit overweight pre-diabetic I think.
Off-topic - but do all the right stuff for yourself with respect to strengthening immune regulation system to limit the collateral damage with respect to extra appropriate vitaminsā€¦you know what to do! :slightly_smiling_face:

Get well - back to HiFi! :bear:

DB.

2 Likes

I am waiting for you, and you are waiting for me? My excuse is i am burning new cables in for a while.

Take care Michaelā€¦we are hoping we have had this virus with mild symptoms. That was bad enough.

1 Like