English Electric 8Switch

The Nuprime Omnia SW8 has the same case design as the EE, both based on the Bonn switch module and clock. I’d put money on EE not doing anything special here over the other units apart from a nicer case (as per the SW8)

1 Like

How much are betting? :smile:

Mike’s house :grinning:

3 Likes

I think I’ll just take a look inside mine this weekend - curiosity has got the better of me…

Perhaps Dave and Pat could save us all the bother by simply telling us what the differences are ?

1 Like

Apart from the feet, the case, power supply and shielding, the EE and Bonn8 are pretty similar :grinning: although I suspect there may be some other differences that aren’t so obvious.

The Omnia, being a deliberate rip off of the EE, appears to be much closer but I‘ve not seen or heard one so couldn’t say for sure. Why not buy one and, when lock down finally ends, bring it round so we can compare them?

1 Like

Same experience for me. The Cisco 2960 definitely brought something to the table (vs. cheap switch / no switch), but left in the chain, it seems to prevent the ER from fully doing its thing i.e. the ER works best in a standalone config for me too.

3 Likes

So for differences we have -
Feet
Case
Power Supply
Shielding
“Other Suspected”

Let’s hope somebody can shed light on the “Other Suspected” differences.

1 Like

Oh, Don. Can’t you apply a little effort yourself?

1 Like

…or perhaps not !

Question was answered, don’t you think?

1 Like

Yes, of course. Just wondered why you mentioned other suspected differences if there aren’t any ?

Everything I specifically mentioned can readily be seen, whereas any change to, let’s say, the clock, I wouldn’t know and couldn’t confirm.

1 Like

That’s fine Dave. You identified four differences and you were, let’s say, keeping an open mind as to whether there might be more.

So I’ll slightly modify my previous comment …

Regarding EE switch I am understanding it does something different than the ER, so I wonder has anyone already tried to sequence them? I hear some people have 2 ER one after the other so why not instead (or before!) an EE8 ?
Independently but did someone achieve SQ benefits by adding an lpsu also to the router itself? I was so impressed when I added the 1.2lpsu to the ER that now I’m considering adding them everywhere possible in the chain…

I understand now that adding lps to any switch will improve much farther the sound

Probably helps any switch

For me the moment my system started to “sing”, meaning best ever emotional connection to the music is when I added the 1.2 lpsu (to the ER). Now finally from my system I ger the connection I had when I listened to analog when I was …much younger!

1 Like

Blimey all that kit and still a PSU for the “ether regen” needed to make it sing ?

1 Like

Since I gave up the cdp555 and cds for remote streaming through Qobuz, with the nd555, I always felt the nd555 was better…but something was not connecting, this better sound did not elicit the real emotional response. Adding ER was a step in the right direction but it is only when I added the lpsu that I felt ok now this is it…no shadow of a doubt, this is a new frontier. I guess, like the rug in “the big Lebowsky” It really tied the room together!

2 Likes