English Electric 8Switch

I’m just old enough to remember how simple playing a record was…

5 Likes

?
Azimuth, VTA, arm/cartridge combinations, phono stage matching, low mass rigid vs suspended vs high mass, optimum material for the platter and mat, etc, etc :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s always been as tweaky as you want to get.

My NDS is connected via ordinary cable to a bog standard TP-Link switch running from a normal IT Buffalo NAS. It sounds fabulous. Could it sound better? Probably. Can I be bothered to tweak? No, I’ll just kick back and enjoy the music.

I totally appreciate that for some the tweaking is a large part of the enjoyment.

3 Likes

Heretic :joy:

2 Likes

I’m considering replacement of my my basic (cheap) TP-Link switch with the new English Electric 8Switch. My simple system is router cable >TP-Link > 2patches feeding Uniti Core & NAC272. Substituting the TP-Link with the EE8 switch, am I correct in understanding that the router cable should be connected to the EE8 “in” port with patch cables to the Core & 272 connected to any of the other EE8 ports? I want to make sure that using the “in” port will let the Naim app control the 272 & Core over the router’s Wi-Fi. Many thanks

Yes, you are correct. I have a EE switch, to which the router is connected to the “in” port. I also have connected a 272, Core and UPnP bridge (for Roon and Quboz). All works fine.

Had one installed on Friday wired as per your description all works fine with my ND555 and Core.

I’m not sure about that “IN” port.
Define what is “IN” with both Internet & NAS steaming ethernet feeds.
I note the switch mnftr Thunder Data does not have an “IN” on their own (identical) Silent Angel Bonn-N8 switch

Nevertheless that is what Chord say, as per this diagram on their EE website:

Best

David

Yes I saw the diagram when they first launched it; I remain sceptically unconvinced

@davidhendon
I just took a look at the Silent Angel Bonn-n8 user manual … they have the same diagram, only difference is the EE “IN” port is marked “1”, and the port numbers are reversed 8 down to 1.
No reason given, they just say to connect port 1 to LAN

Maybe it’s just a case of keeping the noisier traffic away from the lesser noisier traffic? All the ports are same. Plug streamer and NAS into ports 1&2 - keep router as far away as possible? That is what i do on my Cisco anyhow…

So called ‘noise’ doesn’t respect a few inches between ports. If there is anything that might be logical, it will be crosstalk.
However the EE switch has 32x discrete galvanic isolators, unlike the usual doubled up 2 port blocks used in most commercial switches, so even my crosstalk idea is a bit far fetched.

1 Like

I know the EE and Bonn switches have virtually identical cases, but I’ve not seen anything to confirm the innards are identical. Have you?

Only comparing internal layout & component photo’s.
I’ve also not seen anything that says the EE’s are not the same

Thanks everyone!

I just posted this on other topic but it may be more suitable here.

Hi,
I have a lot of experience on this exact configuration.
Since last November, I have been using the optical rendu with ER connected optically obviously, using the sotm SE clock all powered with Sean Jacobs dc3 feeding my EMM labs DA2 dac.
The results are excellent but I have been trying the sotm switch SE also sotm clock connected which I feel gives a slight edge to the ER being used with it. Also I have been trying it all directly against the EMM labs NS1 all feeding my EMM labs DA2 (ethernet connected designacable cat6a the NS1 connected optical to the dac with the bespoke emm labs optical connection) the NS1 beats the opticalrendu by a small amount when connected directly to the sotm se switch.
I, now, have the opportunity to try the sotm sms200 neo SE (again conncted by ethernet) against the opticalrendu. All these comparisons can by compared directly without getting up, just by switching dac input. So I can forward my findings there if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Perhaps, being so close to the DC power input, the “in” port is more likely to be affected by electrical noise, making port 1 the first choice for your streamer.

Many regular commercial switches (but often not basic consumer grade switches) have an uplink port which you would normally use to connect back to the LAN or router, leaving the regular ports for peripheral devices, but that does not appear to be the case here, and my guess is that if you plug any device into any port, it would still work, as is the case with pretty much any switch unless you configure it not to.

And that’s what I’m asking really. I’ve only seen a picture of the Bonn innards posted here, and the assumption that they’re the same. My suspicion is that they’re from the same OEM but with bespoke alterations… unless you think Chord are fibbing!

I’m not convinced about any ‘bespoke’ alterations; comparing the Bonn & EE spec’s & descriptions I don’t see anything that different, & if there was something that different, why not tell about it.
As for fibbing, lets say I see some marketing speak haze.

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Why at all bother,.that’s how they sound and perform in a music-system that is interesting.

Instead of speculating,.testing and comparing English Electric 8switch against Silent Angel Bonn-n8 instead.
Then you have the answer right away.

I have seen these speculations for a long time now in these threads,.it leads nowhere.
Try and compare instead.

/Peder🙂

3 Likes

Peder, I don’t disagree at all about your ways of thinking & I too apply the same/similar method.
However in my life (& also some others on the forum) we have another dimension to our psyche, a desire to understand how things work.
So please leave us to include this other dimension in our discussions.

9 Likes