English Premier League Season 2023/24

Them as lives longest ‘ill see’t most as my old ma used to say.

2 Likes

Sadly I’ve lived it. Never want to live it again. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy despite our current owners being determined to create a worse version of it. Sadly for some here it’s a subject for banter.

Relegation now looks very real prospect for Man City and Chelsea

I still don’t see any alternative to a points deduction, and nobody on here has suggested a viable alternative. In the eyes of the authorities, the owners ‘are the clubs’, but, yes, everyone is affected, including the fans. As for historical administrations, they are typically due to financial mismanagement, deliberate or not, by owners who knew the consequences of their actions.

Having spent a career in Corporate Finance (some of it involved with sports businesses) I accept that football clubs in particular are run on totally different business models than most other enterprises. However, I do believe it is time to get tough on outliers; the rules are there, and everyone knows the consequences…

I too can’t see an alternative and if my club was mismanaged in the way that Everton was or outright cheated in the way that other clubs have I would expect and welcome the same sanctions.

Unfortunately in the case of The Cheats a points deduction or even relegation isn’t enough and would do nothing as they have already been allowed to build a squad that is now dominating European football, have attracted millions more fans and legal revenues because of that squad, the horse has bolted.

Their owner is now under more scrutiny for aiding wealthy Russians who the UK Government had placed under sanctions following the invasion of Ukraine by letting them move their assets to the UAE.

According to a report in the Guardian Lawyers acting for a Ukrainian activist have written to James Cleverly to ask if Sheik Mansour has been investigated over the allegations which should seem him made “designated person” subject to financial sanctions under the Russia (Sanctions) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019, the same sanctions placed on Roman Abramovich.

Readers of the Telegraph should look away as Mansour has now financially backed the Barclay family retaking control of the newspaper. What is next Sky Sports?

1 Like

…and try dealing with a 30 point deduction which effectively did for us (Luton), confirmed us dropping out of the league (ok, we were equally s**t at the time). Mike knows only too well the graveyard of non league football. Our story is one of one heck of a resurrection. Other teams have struggled in recent seasons with less of a penalty…still it gives us a nice ditty to sing: “30 points and who gives a …” - not quite so sure about the “staying up” part though :smiley:

1 Like

Getting back to the beautiful game have a look at this goal from Young Gunner Gabby Martinelli…

2 Likes

Cheeky ! Great feet

When was that? Sublime skill.

Wednesday or Thursday Night I think, we paid £6 million for him at 18 from Ituano in Brazil’s Serie D after he’d been sent back to Brazil after trials at Man U & Barcelona.

The WSL Manchester derby provided much entertaining and quality football yesterday at Old Trafford. I wasn’t able to go, unfortunately. Attendance was over 43,000, showing that the Women’s game is becoming more popular.

1 Like

An outrageously good goal!

2 Likes

I wonder if England will turn up tonight. They went AWOL last week.

Yes, it was well attended and Sky are doing a good job of promoting it, especially when they have the international break of a cup tie.

That was a “fun” goal followed by some very clear lip reading …

5 Likes

And I thought it was only the players (as interviewed on MotD) that spouted such garbage

Talking of garbage, England were playing tonight…

But in reality, it was not much more than a “training” game.

Well they weren’t training very hard then

1 Like

Didn’t need to. Already qualified, it was a waste of ninety minutes - making up time to complete the schedule. Oh, and do try not to get injured….we may need you for real matches.