English Premier League Season 2023/24

Calum Chambers.

People who live in glass houses, and the like…

I don’t agree with your statement as we have some excellent youngsters now and I would say the best we’ve had for years, even better than the so called “ the golden generation’. We always get a manager that plays safe. Let them play the way they do for their clubs. We could win something. Or am I being delusional.

3 Likes

Perhaps not delusional. I’d even agree that England have at least two great youngsters in Foden and Bellingham. But I’ve been hearing the same thing from England fans (best team we’ve had for years etc) since 1970. It gets worse whenever a major tournament looms.

Anyway, as the old joke says, I’m a well-balanced Scotland fan: I’ve got a chip on each shoulder :wink:

1 Like

Shaun Maloney’s Wigan can be blueprint for Everton’s great escape

Written as though they’ve escaped going down. Let’s see how the season actually pans out. One to watch for Everton fans.

Big, big game at the top of the table tomorrow lunchtime Liverpool travel to the Emptyhad to play the cheats.

As an Arsenal fan I’m hoping for a draw leaving us the chance to go top should we beat Brentford in the later kick off at 5.30pm it looks as though we’re getting back to full strength with Odegaard, Jesus and possibly Ben White back though still no Tomas Partey.

1 Like

Ole Harry is doing rather well, isn’t he…….

Must be all that Löwenbräu.

1 Like

What’s the German for Timber?

1 Like

Klinsmann.

8 Likes

An excellent result this lunchtime if you’re an Arsenal supporter the 1-1 draw at the Emptyhad gives the chance to go top if we beat Brentford later this afternoon.

A very poor performance (the last 10 minutes excepted) by the Tartan Diego Simeone’s Massive Euro Cup Winning Cockney Bastards at Burnley today.

I’ll take the three points, even if they were not entirely warranted or deserved. Feel sorry for Kompany and Company.

Dropped into thread to check Bob’s expected contribution but nothing to find :man_shrugging:

1 Like

To busy enjoying myself in the real world @Svetty.

Declan ‘Roy of the Rovers’ Rice gave another MotM display but am especially pleased for Aaron Ramsdale and Kai Havertz whose contributions where huge.

1 Like

A great day at the Cathedral On The Hill - fine performance and a slightly unexpected result. 17 year-old Lewis Miley bossing the midfield was a joy to watch. Howay the Lads. :black_heart::white_heart:

3 Likes

Another brilliant substitution by Mikel ‘the Masterclass’ Arteta and Declan ‘Cheap at the Price’ Rice was MotM again like all top midfielders can be both the defensive and attacking midfielder at the same time like my mate texted me last night he’s like sh*t in a cow field…he’s everywhere.

All three attackers where totally out of sorts last night but Saka had one moment of class the assist for Kai Havertz goal the Germans third goal in a week for club a country.

I’m going to the Emirates for the Champions League match this Wednesday the mood in the ground should be brilliant top of the league and top of our Champions League group not bad for an under performing team with a rubbish manager, a striker who can’t score, a £65 million flop, a captain who ghosts in the important games and two unhappy goal keepers.

1 Like

And just a word on Snr Mikel Arteta yesterday’s table topping scrappy one nil to the Arsenal was Mikel’s 200th in charge, he has the highest win percentage after 200 games than any other manager in the clubs history.

It’s easy to forget that he only retired from playing for us just 7 years ago in May 2016 and was our manager only three years later. Yes there have been a few bumps and yes many of us Arsenal fans ran out of patience once or twice but what he has done so far is transformative and in lots of ways more important thus far than winning trophies because he has now brought us to a place where I believe we can regularly challenge for major honours.

He has had lots of money to spend but aside from Kai Havertz and Declan Rice he hasn’t just gone out and spent that money on one or two players he has replaced a whole squad along with Edu Gaspar with only one or two duff signings they’ve built a very strong squad.

Of course just challenging and getting top four finishes was what in the end did for our greatest ever manager Arsene Wenger so Arteta has to do more than that but so far so good.

Gor blimey, you got to admire Ange sticking to his guns - attack as much as possible and don’t worry about the defence… :rofl: All out attack it would seem then - maybe our manager should be re-named Aussie Ardiles… :grin:
Maybe we should play ‘rush goalies’ as well ?

To quote a Spurs fan… “Two full backs at centre back, a winger at no.8, a player returning from long term injury as DM. Don’t ever call Ange a ‘safe’ manager.”

In a few years time, he will be hailed a genius. Or completely mad. :grin:

Despite the best goal of the season so far from Michael Olise yesterday , Palace’s poor run continues. We have some excellent players but have now reverted to dull Royball. Wouldn’t surprise me if Steve Parish isn’t already on the phone chatting someone up

RIP Terry Venables. The thing that seemed to set him apart from all other managers was that he had real, genuine charisma.

It’s a real shame that there can’t be a minutes silence before today’s match. They seem to be a thing of the past, due to unruly disrespectful fans, but I think it would have been appropriate today…

6 Likes

Yes, surprising really after Palace had previously had a decent sequence of away results. Olise was superb and in the first 10 minutes you were passing your way easily through us and we looked way off the pace. Kaminsky made two superb saves to keep us in it but after the 10 minute mark we got into the game and Palace dropped off. We do have a habit of letting in a goal just after we scored and it was the same yesterday: that was a brilliant run and goal from Olise. Amazingly we managed to score again (something we haven’t been used to) from some defensive hesitation and it looked like you resorted to route one. Quite incredibly we were able to see out the 13+ minutes of added time.

1 Like