Epos ES14 Anyone?

Ok, so here is my take on my speaker demo.

First off, I had driven for three hours to get there and the demo started shortly after my arrival, so my ears might not have been totally ready at the start. Secondly the speakers were demo’d with a ND5XS2 (as I have) and a brand new, out the box SN3. It was warm, but still totally new. So please bear in mind that this test was to show the differences between the speakers, more than the outright performance of each set i tried.

First speaker was the Spendor A7. Now this was the speaker that I wanted to like. I think it looked great and from what I had read, a great piece of kit. After half an hour or so, I concluded that it wasn’t £3.5k better than the Epos ES14’s. Sure it had more detail and resolution, but not a big enough step up to make me part with my money. I had wanted to love it, but it just wasn’t a good enough step up and made me think how good the 14’s are.

Next up was the Spendor D7.2’s. Now I know I had said my budget was £3.5k, but I realised that I would be daft to not listen to a more expensive speaker that I could possibly own for twenty years or more. I would kick myself if i missed out on the sound I wanted for the sake of a hundred pounds or so a year. My immediate reaction was ‘Yes, this is what I am looking for’. Detail, resolution, imagery, soundstage etc. Beautiful in it’s presentation, smooth yet dynamic. But £2k (ish) more…

Next up was PMC Twenty5.24i. These were in place of the 23’s (they didn’t have those). The PMC’s were the speaker I was most interested to hear due to their transmission line and forward facing port, not to mention their reputation. It took ten minutes and the start of three tracks for me to stop this PMC demo right there. Midrange seemed to be lacking any magic at all and every time someone started to sing, i felt as if I had been slapped in the face (metaphorically speaking). I think that is described as forward? Don’t get me wrong, they are probably great speakers, but just not with that system and to my ears. Just not for me.

Next up were a pair of Harbeth C7ES-3 XD standmounts. We decided to add these to the demo as an alternative to the floorstanders I was interested in. They are a lovely speaker. With vocals, acoustic and jazz etc. they just make you want to melt into the sofa. They matched their reputation perfectly, and I loved them, but they were just not what I was looking for.

So finally, I asked for the Spendor D7.2’s to come back into the room. They did and a brand new pair in walnut finish are currently running in in my living room on home demo. Wow, what an amazing piece of kit. Over my original budget, yes, but just in a different league from the others I tried. As far as my 14’s are concerned, I will hold onto them for the time being, but I have a hunch the Spendors might be staying.

The 14’s have an incredible midrange, but lack the scale and finesse I have been looking for for many years. After 30 years of ownership and bought second hand for £400, I think they have served me very well indeed. At £5.5k for a significant replacement, it just shows how good they really are.

Hope that helps some of you in the same position as me.

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
Sound like you had an amazing afternoon.

FWIW, when I’ve tried similar listening sessions, I arrived at the same conclusion.
That is, the need to spend in excess of £3.5K to get something better, (worth upgrading from the ES14’s, etc).

KR
R

3 Likes

I had a similar experience when auditioning speakers, the Spendor D7.2s just seemed in a different league. Bit more than I wanted to pay but certainly worth it in my view. Enjoy.

3 Likes

I had ES14s for many years a stunning speaker took Heybrook Sextets to replace them.

Strangely when I upgraded from Olive to the Classic range several years ago I initially auditioned PMC 25 23 which were the rage back then just could not get on with them the dealer suggested Spender D7 and they were my fist committed purchased (subject to a home demo) of my new system kept them for several yeas and believe me you have to spend a lot more money to better them.

Enjoy them they are an excellent speaker.

3 Likes

Thanks pcd. I’m running them in just now so I know they will improve, but am loving them already.

As to bettering them, I don’t think I’ll need to for a good while yet. Also, prob won’t have the cash! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

From sunnier times, during the summer

20 Likes

Latest…

Never heard these amazing speakers sound so good…
Moving a few things between rooms, here using SN3 + HCDR.

These Epos ES14’s, and their original stands, have been with me 35+ years. I can genuinely count them amongst my best friends.

Over the years, these amazing loudspeakers have been used with a myriad of pieces. On every occasion they have been up to the task and found more to give. Including just now.

Currently playing David Sylvian, Secrets of the Beehive : Orpheus
On vinyl.
Syvian’s voice, piano and string arrangement is just sublime.

20 Likes

Had two sets over the years and preferred the concave single-wire Chesham built ones. They don’t half pull you in to the music.

G

5 Likes

Still love my 14s

2 Likes

Loving them too, today.
They’re really working hard at the moment, loud ish music, driven by SN3, etc.

They really pack an amazing punch, with more of everything coming through.

See you have a 250 DR driving yours. Bet that’s just awesome :+1:

1 Like

Linn LP12 and Epos ES14…

21 Likes

Never liked the look of the 14 but always loved those stands for my 11s.

2 Likes

Great pic, sometimes a picture to me somehow conveys how they sound, I only ever owned the 11’s in a poorly matched system, yours looks the total opposite, bet it sounds superb.

1 Like

Have not read the whole thread so my opinion on the new Epos ES14 N is if they were not called that they bear little resemblance to the originals, the Wharfedale linton heritage JBL 100s and Mission 770 at least look like originals and think this is a major mistake on the new owners of Epos. What people wanted was a near replica, thats the idea. Probably they sound better. They have only look at Naim Nait to show how to do it.

Some good news today
These came in the post…

Managed to find some new old stock of replacement ES14 tweeter units.
So absolutely delighted :grin: as I have tried in the past, with out success.

As the saying goes “Patience is a virtue”.

On a different topic…
This thread was conceived for celebrating the (original) Epos ES14 stand mount loudspeaker, designed by Epos founder Robin Marshal and first sold in the 80’s and 90’s, etc. For current or previous users and owners - of this amazing loudspeaker - to share stories and experiences.

Although anecdotal comments about other relating topics is welcome. Including thoughts on the recent new Epos ES14N, now available in the market.

My wife and myself had the opportunity to listen to a pair at a UK stockists recently. Actually, we thought they were a pretty good speaker and enjoyed the demo’. To the extent we think (we’ve heard a few speakers in £4-5k bracket recently) it is probably priced about right, for what it does.

@swintonlion - Like you, we are a little baffled why a completely new and different design bears the same model number. (It may have been better to call it Epos ES 200 or something). Anyway, FWIW, it is decent sounding speaker. Obviously, much better compared to my original ES14’s. But with the passing of time and advances in design thinking, new materials, better drive unit, etc., that’s probably to be expected. So we wish new Epos - Karl Fink and Fink Team - good luck with their latest product.

Still love my original Epos ES14’s and now have the means to keep them going, (a bit longer).

7 Likes

I had ES14’s in 1988…they replaced my biwired Wharfedale 708’s … the 14’s were not quite as transparent but had good bass and overall were better. A superb speaker and missed…I never used it with Naim equipment…I would think it a match made in heaven…loveley to see a cherished pair… but I still misss my 708’s…

2 Likes

Are there any more of these tweeters available? I have original ES14’s and one of my tweeters gets noisy after a loud session. I want to keep them going and like you, would love some spares.

1 Like

Nice to read someone else loves their ES14’s and wants to keep them going.

Use search terms “Epos ES14 HF diaphragm ” on a well known marketplace …
When they are gone, they’re gone :wink:

There is also the possibility to buy a spare pair of ES14’s, for spares. (In my case, I bought a pair with poor condition cabinets and a broken tweeter - for not much money - for spares only). But these spares would be used. Where as the parts just found are new old stock. So, was delighted to find and buy these.

Good luck
R

2 Likes

No. I looked on eBay, AudioMart & HiFiShark. Maybe you can be more specific about the site you found them at if it’s one I missed?

Thank You! I’ll keep at it then.

1 Like