Ethernet Cable and USB type

yes, but noise or other things can be transmitted in these packets, because how can we explain a better sound quality when using a better switch and better ethernet cables. It’s not only bits…

All the stuff you are concerned with is not transmitted with TCP packets. Explaining the perceived SQ variations is complex & involves many other issues outside TCP, timing, crosstalk, phase shift, to mention just a few out of possibly hundreds.

so, are you 100% sure that when you remove the ethernet cable , the sound you hear is not affected by the cable you removed ?

No, I’m only clarifying what TCP is.

Every time the ethernet cable debate is raised we seem to go around the same arguments. It usually gets reduced in a rather unsatisfactory way, due to a lack of knowledge, to the ‘bits is bits’ vs ‘but I can actually hear a difference - honest guv’ facile punch up.

There is no resolving this, we have tried for years. Until someone comes up with credible explanations as to why a bit of cable that transmits and deposits a digital signal into a buffer (which is then converted to an analogue signal after the cable has done its bit) can affect the SQ of the resulting analogue signal, the arguments will continue, unresolved.

I am one of these loonies who have heard the impact of different ethernet cables on SQ, and I am an engineer by trade. I am still baffled as to why an ethernet cable can affect SQ. But I have given up trying to explain it as it is way, way beyond my comprehension, and I would wager beyond the comprehension of the vast majority on here. We can make educated guesses at best, or remain content in the assertion the ethernet cables can’t, and do not, make any difference to SQ whatsoever.

I remember a couple of years ago a Chord demo of ethernet cables at the Bristol Show. There was a IT technician in the audience who was of the ‘bits is bits’ persuasion. As the Chord guy went up the hierarchy of ethernet cables, the IT bloke became more and more uncomfortable, as his belief system was gradually demolished as each cable was demonstrated. Towards the end of the demo he became more vocal and agitated. He eventually got to his feet and peered around the back of the hifi stack, and accused the demonstrator of foul play. It was absolutely hilarious, but very disconcerting for the poor IT guy!

Last I heard, the IT guy was still recovering in a special facility. I hear that this year there will be blokes in white coats in attendance at the Bristol Show, just in case.

True story (well not the last bit - that was for dramatic effect).

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Good

So if you accept that the ‘bits’ aren’t affected by the audio quality of the cable, then you are left with it being an electromagnetic effect. That is why I suggested disconnecting the Ethernet cable if of course the ND555 can buffer a few minutes of music. My Innuos stores and plays music using my nDAC so it can. The music sounds better without the cable connected! A good music cable would be one that doesn’t affect the sound compared with no cable!

Phil

2 Likes

Anyone tried the vertere Ethernet cables ?

That is all managed by network protocols and nothing to do with cable quality per se. Cable quality in the context of per sound quality is more about not letting non-data electrical noise get into the DAC by getting into the cables on the way there.

If the network traffic causes errors the best way to reduce would be to reduce the traffic: one approach might be to have a separate sub-network purely for the music data, connecting NAS and streamer, with the only link to the same network as other traffic being at the wireless access point, with only control data on that leg except when streaming online. And if you do use online streaming, the streamed music data over the internet will likely be going through many more “bottlenecks” and mixed with infinitely more traffic…

2 Likes

No cable can alter the digital content being transmitted it’s either there or it isn’t. The supposed noise that may travel down the cable does not enter digitally and isn’t part of the stream itself. It gets into the analogue stages like rf gets in to analogue normally. So if you remove the source of the supposed noise, the cable interacting with the LAN interface you may remove the noise. This is only possible with a streamer that has a significant buffer which the older streamers do not as you loose you music in a fee seconds. The newer ones have a larger buffer as does the InnuOS.

2 Likes

Don,t fret Nigel we have the men in white coats at the Bristol show just in case you go on a cable “bender” .
I have my SL and a True Audio Signal interconnects sitting here at our holiday lodge…installed very soon. Plan to post when you are too busy at the show😎

Gazza, don’t you fret. I have never been one to say ‘I told you so’…I would never do that…honest! :wink:

Wanted to given the Naim link, but as @JimDog mentions very difficult to get any top end demo cables.

Given the superlumina is basically a Vertere incarnation never Understood why Naim never took rhe Ethernet also.

I guess thats the truth of the matter Naim think its not important.

I should point out that in my system it just happened that a cheap ‘generic’ UTP cable sounded best, in any one system, an expensive audiophile cable may sound best, but it’s equally likely that a much cheaper cable will sound as good or even better.

The one notable thing was that in my system screened cables are consistently poorer performers than UTP cables (and almost all ‘audiophile’ cables are screened!).

2 Likes

I don’t think any of them are unscreened - the main USP in their marketing generally seems to be some sort of fancy NASA/aerospace/military/medical grade screening.

One information, on the ethernet chord c-stream cable there is a plug with a black dot. Where is the black spot to be inserted? I have a power line behind the ND5 xs2. Does the black dot go to the naim ND5 xs2 or to the power line ethernet? Thanks

The black dot end of the cable is intended to be connected to the source component. For example, when used between a router and streamer, the plug with the black dot should be connected to the router. In your case the “power line” as you call it.

Best advise I can give is remove those poweline things, they are bad sources of noise & pollution. Either install Ethernet all the way or get a full mesh wifi system.

Full sweater? I have fiber at home

Non capisco, provalo in italiano

Sistema WiFi a maglia piena???

This is my power line

Now my ND5 xs2 is on wifi (airport extreme with tecnology ac)
This is the fist power line around modem