Ethernet cable. Cat6 or 6a

I’m a biologist!

That made me laugh out loud! Thank you.

1 Like

I agree - measurement vs listening arguments are silly; when given a choice do both. Kit from Naim, Linn & Chord Electronics measures well & sounds great - all you need worry about is which you like best or if you have loads of money then buy the lot and agonise for the next 20 years over which sounds best.

If I based decisions on manufacturers’ demos then I wouldn’t buy the latest kit from Naim or Chord - fortunately I could try before I bought. Shame I couldn’t when buying a cottage: still I was lucky with that choice.

I totally disagree, in my opinion there are not much better cables than the bluejean and designer cable cat6a and I have tried many. It’s really unfair that people inform people this, it creates uncertainty for the people asking advise.

2 Likes

Totally agree…boils down to the same old answer…forget the specifications, just listen.

Doing much better, thanks. COVID huh? Hope YOU are doing better! Thank god it didn’t elevate. My test came back negative as I figured it would, purely routine. Interesting thing though, is the gout medicine they use for pleurisy, colchicine, is currently under trial for early stage coronavirus to see if it prevents it from escalating. Anyway, OT. Back to switches and cables!

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Different knowledge,.Different experience…!!

We have now tested over 31 different ehternet/streaming-cables,.from the most expensive Chord Music and Transparent,down to BJC cat6a.
This in over 100 different music-systems.

We are considered the most experienced group in this area in Sweden,.and our results have also been verified by many.
Have you tested as many cables as us,.equally expensive and down to the cheaper,and got a different result in your music-system,.so it is quite okay for us.

But had you tested with us,.in our installed systems,I can next guarantee that you would have had the same opinion as us.
Because we all were in complete agreement,.in our test-reviews.

As I said…
Different knowledge,.Different experience…!!

:red_circle: If you buy a Chord Music for £4200,.as @BertBird and others has done here.
Yes then you have probably tested and compared properly before buying…or how.

Stay safe…
/Peder🙂

I agree, the BJC Cat 6a is a guaranteed go to. I’m sure the AQ Diamond is a great cable, but that is a cable that would cost more than any one component in my system(s) and I’d rather up my amp etc before that. Another option, which I use for the final leg to my streamer, is the nicely made Ghent cables, which use the Belden Catsnake 6a and a special floating shield faraday configuration (JSSG) named after John Swenson, the Sonore designer. Under $100.

1 Like

Hi Peder,
Again totally disagree. Different knowledge,.Different experience…!! Very condescending.

Different Ears, Different music, Different components, Different room, Different taste, Different expectation bias, Different conclusion. Yes, I have tried Audioquest Diamond and Chord Music, not to my taste but those who bought it, I am sure it was to theirs. If we all came to the same conclusion we would all have the same equipment at each level but its as varied as its ever been. We all like different bands, no-one is right or wrong (except if you like the Pet Shop Boys), we just have different tastes, please accept that.

8 Likes

I agree, the Pet Shop Boys are fantastic and everyone loves them.

3 Likes

I heard Shopping by them earlier and thought there is something worse than this Virus.

2 Likes

The specific systems of course are all important, because the effect will depend on the specific streamer or DAC, and generalised information doesn’t help an individual. Unfortunately that information is not available.

I am curious, however, if I understand you correctly @Peder, that every one of your group (of how many people?) with 100+ systems in Sweden came to an identical preference with every one of 31 cables, when the more varied experience of people on this forum has shown a multiplicity of different conclusions. Someone did ask you in the Mania thread, and I don’t think you answered, Whether everyone independently records their conclusions and then you compare, or whether one or more conclusion was known before others finished deciding. Perhaps you’d care to answer that, to help put these results in context?

2 Likes

I’ve got the virus and I agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, not you agree, hope you are doing ok!

1 Like

Depending on price, I would probably go with the first one, the white 2960C-8TC-L

1 Like

“colchicine” Let’s hope it’s not given to anybody bed ridden with the virus!

@StuW
Did you get your original question answered to your satisfaction?

1 Like

Yes it is great shame these threads get derailed, but I too hope @StuW had his technical questions answered. The cables he has bought are excellent and can be run externally through suitable trunking.

1 Like

I’ve removed the most recent posts as they seem to be just extraneous noise and somewhat off topic from the original question.

Also, please (again) could certain members refrain from posting long criticisms of other members here. Thank you.

Anyway, I think the OP’s question has been adequately covered here, so I’m going to close this thread now.

16 Likes