Ethernet cable. Cat6 or 6a

I’ve had a bit of time to compare chord C stream with BJC 6a and there does seem to be a difference. With the BJC there seems to be an increase in volume and dynamics. I’ve got no idea why. It also seems a little brighter or more open which I’m not sure about as my system can be a little overly bright on some recordings. This is something I plan to address with a speaker change as after trying multiple positions and in three different houses the problem persists. I wonder if a longer length of BJC would make a difference. I plan to move all the network components to an other location, out of the lounge which would require a 10 metre run of network cable.

1 Like

You can’t use ethernet to ‘tune’ a system like an IC or speaker cable. Differences in perceived sound shouldn’t make that much if any difference, or at least not enough to be a system tuning tool

1 Like

Thanks Mike, are there any reasons there seems to be a perceived increase in volume or dynamics?

These wires do make a difference to the sound, for example some are brighter, some sound more natural and so on. Just pick the one you prefer.

2 Likes

Actual (real) volume & dynamic differences is something I’ve not come across, I’ve read reports on forums but can only take these as face value perceptions, & yes I can understand that the differences we can hear in the various cables might give that perception.
The screen on C-Stream is connected (I believe) whereas BLC Cat6a is not (its floating) & this might be affecting how it reacts with your system.

2 Likes

I will listen some more at the weekend but there does seem to be a volume lift etc. Will try swapping cables round again, difficult to know for certain without a dB meter

1 Like

It seems likely that different cables, in letting different noise through to the DAC, effectively cause different or different degrees of modulation affecting the analogue sound. In turn (and this is a guess), that might result in differences to the noise floor, which conceivably could affect perceived dynamics or volume. One effect I have certainly heard described arising from RF ground plane modulation is a change in the perceived ‘brightness’ of the sound, the modulation making it sound ‘brighter’. Some people prefer the brighter sound, even though it is actually a modification of the true signal, though maybe that depends on the overall balance of people’s systems and rooms. Perhaps to some people ‘brighter’ might also be perceived as louder…

You could always put a free sound level meter app on a smartphone or tablet and compare, taking care to have the device (and everything around) in precisely the same position each time.

1 Like

Thanks IB, are these apps accurate/reliable for measuring dB?

I’ve literally just done that using a big old pro level sound meter on a tripod.
I swapped as many cables that I have in my odds’s & sod’s box that fit between switch (SG110D) to NDX, I also included the BCJ Cat6 thats installed between wireless hub & switch
Cables were; the installed MeiCord - swapped with BJC Cat6, Supra Cap7, Lindy Cat6, AQ Forest Cat7 & a battered BT Cat5e freebee

Playing (repeating) tracks from a Test CD with fixed (untouched) volume on amp, set 1st to 70dB at the SPL meter, then reset to 90dB - - - 20/20kHz white noise, 1kHz tone & 100Hz tone
I could not get any measurable difference with any cable at any volume

2 Likes

Accuracy unknown unless you have a means of calibrating, however probably pretty good at comparative measurements. Assuming you don’t have a recording of steady white/pink noise and use music, the app might not give precisely the same readings each time (e.g. due to response time or minor position variations etc). To counter this and enable a better comparison it would probably be best to play the same piece several times and note the readings, change and repeat, and maybe do that at least a couple of times.

The two apps I thought were best on iPhone are Decibel X and dB Volume. Measuring forvthis sort of purpose it is probably best to set to ‘A’ weighting [dB(A)].

1 Like

Did you notice any tonal changes or difference in dynamics?

No, these are flat unchanging test tracks that I used specifically to measure if any volume change existed between different cables.

Dynamics & tone is probably mostly affected by everything else in the system, speakers more than most, & not forgetting room shape, size, layout & sound absorbency. Other than that, considering dynamics & tone IRT ethernet is the same old goats trail on how different cables ‘sound’.

However, considering actual audio dB range & time domain which is close to what we perceive as ‘dynamic’ in music is measurable. This would need an oscilloscope to record both the dynamic range & time of rise & decay & my little meter isn’t man enough for that.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:And,.I have the Greatest respect for Simon-in-Suffolk’s technical knowledge in this field.

However,.optimizing their system for the best soundquality,also requires other experiences and skills.

:black_small_square:AND,.what do we miss in this long post from Simon-in-Suffolk.
NOT a Single Word,.about the only thing that is important in this context,.namely the Quality of Sound…!!

:small_orange_diamond:That’s The Only Priority that I,.Darkebear,Frenchrooster,Nick.Lees has.
Yes,.the list can be made long by name here.

We prioritize/optimize our music-systems for soundquality,.NOT for technical specifications.

This post above I wrote…

for several weeks ago,.but have forgotten to post it.
I think it’s a good time to put it in now.

•And,.never mind in all the so-called technical explanations,it’s just speculation.
They mean nothing,.when to choose the cable that best suits your music-system.

:small_orange_diamond:JUST LISTEN,.in your own music-system.
That’s all that matters…As Simple As That.

Trust your stomach-feeling,.what product gives you the best Musical Experience-Musical Presentation.
It should you be possible to feel inside yourself.

Otherwise,.you can look in the thread…
“Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania”.

Look for,.among other things,Darkebear’s post,.he has very great technical knowledge. However,.he evaluate his ethernet/streaming-cables with his ears as evaluation-instruments.

Which is the only and proper way to do…

Good luck…
/Peder🙂

2 Likes

To be honest - that is either implied or is irrelevant - otherwise we wouldn’t talking about the benefits in terms of SQ, reliability and usability.
There is too much subjective narrative on SQ that really has little value in my opinion, probably why some of those threads seem to ramble for hundreds of posts - I think we need to be a bit more objective here if we are to describe SQ, otherwise we should perhaps limit our comments to replay presentation preference - certainly in my professional world we use formal subjective assessment models to assess and measure Sound Quality that are parametrised against measurable proxy indicators… as well as use the ‘Golden Ear’ assessment. However this is trained listening - ie the listener knows what to listen out for, not least for cognitive bias reasons. There is the science behind SQ assessment, and the AES, an organisation I highly respect in this business and other related audio businesses, has many white papers and publications on this.

4 Likes

Don’t forget that all the persons who answered you don’t believe in Ethernet cable sounding quality. It’s their experience and opinion.
But other have opposite opinions, however prefer not to answer here, because these points divide us.
Personally I believe you when you say that an Ethernet cable can change the sound characteristics of your system. Some cables will give more bass and body, some are a bit bright, other will open your soundstage more, other are lean…etc
Trust only your ears.

2 Likes

I never intended for this thread to become a discussion on SQ of network cables. It more of a technical question regarding what I might require. TBH I wasn’t expecting any change but there certainly seems to be. I could maybe understand if I felt there was a big improvement and explain this away by psychological justification in spending money. At the moment all I can say is that there is a change and I’m still assessing weather I like the change or not.
Strange!

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Wow,.but please Simon-in-Suffolk,this sounded a little too…:roll_eyes:.
Now you really tried to…“Put Me In Place”

:red_circle: I Can Assure You,.That I,and the people I represent know what…“To Listen Out For”.

:small_blue_diamond:Wow,.you also wrote…“and measure Sound Quality”.

And you use this when installing and optimizing a music-system,.for the best musical-presentation at the home of someone…Wow…!!

To the rest you write,.I have only one comment…And…

:black_small_square:It would have been Very interesting to meet,.and install and optimize a given music-system.
You with your knowledge,and I with mine,.and from there do a complete music-system installation and tunning of the speakers.

AND,.also Use The Cables We Prefer.

And then let a select group from the forum,.decide which installation who provides the best Musical Experience.

I’ll take that challenge at any time…
• measure Sound Quality.
• trained listening - ie the listener knows what to listen out for.
• the science behind SQ assessment.
• the AES, an organisation I highly respect in this business.
• and other related audio businesses.
• has many white papers and publications on this.

This above is what I’m competing against.
You are competing against my skills,.and my experience with more organized music-system installation,and testing of products since 1993.
From 1983 to 1993,.I “was in training” :wink:, among the best in Naim and Linn in Sweden.

You then compete not only against me,.but also against the installation-method I use…Tune-Dem.
This method was invented by Linn,.and they use it in their development work of,among other things,.new products and system-installation.

So,.anytime Simon-in-Suffolk.
But I’m actually surprised,.that you tried to “run over me”,by writing your post that way.

Stay safe…
/Peder🙂

Ps: I have no interest in continuing this dialogue.

I’m glad to see you are still reading this. You’ll have observed that the subject of these cables generates all sorts of over the top responses and a level of obsession and competitiveness that is perhaps not entirely rational.

I can happily say that I don’t work in engineering, I am wholly non technical and have had no hifi training. I do however have a PhD in behavioural ecology and a Basic Food Hygiene Certificate if that helps. I also have some Cat 6 and 6A cables, a reasonable stereo and pair of ears. Using the power of all these I will restate my advice that I find the BJ 6A to be better than the 6.

6 Likes

Why is that?

I am talking audio replay systems, which cover a wider gamut than music, but yes. But none of this is unique, its all fairly standard in the industry - perhaps somewhat different to the impressions one might get reading this forum when people often refer to phenomena, and new theories etc.
Sure there are many influences that can affect the performance of the systems we have at home, and yes we are often very sensitive to such changes… and yes there may be some new interaction effects.

My caution would be being categoric about cause and effect - such as cable x sound providing better SQ etc - as in my experience such things will typically be equipment and environment dependent, and also ultimately subjective.

1 Like