Ethernet Cable Direction - Advice Appreciated

Yes, agree that is a high level summary of electro interference in general.

I think however that is where Chord, AQ, Nordost etc. are coming from. They’re claiming their cables strip high frequency noise from cables, that can effect the whole audio chain (they say). Whilst I’m no sucker for marketing blurb, there must be something in it, otherwise they are open for trade descriptions infringement and legal issues that could effect their brand.

Chord even claim their most expensive cable (£750 :face_with_peeking_eye:), the Signature Super Tuned Aray strips 5 levels of interference from cables, even addressing issues further back in the chain.

They’re not saying the data is effected, as under TCP/IP it can’t be without a faulty cable.

It’s an interesting subject, I wouldn’t be surprised if cable direction advice is based on ability to pass interference as well, as Chord also say that it doesn’t matter which way round you use their cables, they all work in passing data but some sound better in one direction and possibly are better at cancelling interference.

Chord got hit with exactly that and it’s easy to avoid by clever wording like “some customers say” and “you must hear yourself to believe it”. That’s exactly what they are doing in the link in your post, there is not a single factual and verifyable claim about their cable in there.

“Development was driven by a desire to minimize hf noise”, but they don’t claim to have achieved anything.

“you’ll hear what happens when heavier gauge silver-plated conductors are fitted.” - nothing?

The only factual claims are generic ones, like "The problem with streaming audio can often be the length and the number of cables involved in the process. " - absolutely true if you exceed the Ethernet specs.

Sorry, nobody will protect you, you are on your own there

2 Likes

When and in what way? I’m not aware of anything.

Exactly who do I need protection from? :joy:

I appreciate they are all generic statements however I think the manufacturers are in a Catch 22 with this. SOME networks will pass electronic interference, either box to box or into unshielded cables, that’s why cables are shielded. It’s why some cables are ‘choked’. But every network is different so claiming an absolute change will lead to trouble.

I’ve witnessed interference on my network myself, I fully understand ethernet and TCP/IP, there can be no data corruption. But I have a Sky Q box on my network, same switch as everything else. I changed out the standard Sky cable for a Catsnake (floating shield) whilst trialling a Chord C Stream to my streamer. This brought a very profound, not subtle change. I thought it was the C-stream, but to check I unplugged the Sky (now Catsnake) and retained the benefit, then put the Catsnake back and Sky Q off, the same. Sky Q and Sky cable back on and lost the benefit. I now have a Catsnake to my Sky Q, all is good. But what happened there if it was not electro interference from the Sky box or cable?

I do appreciate that everyone has different boxes and networks and can try alternative cables or not, I don’t knock freedom of choice in box or cable selection. But I’d make the point to not to knock anything unless you have tried it, and if you don’t want to try then let those who do discuss their experiences - positive or negative. It is what the forum is about.

I used to respect Chord as a decent, honest HIFI firm, but not anymore with their snake oil claims/products. I would not come near to them, same with Nordost,

2 Likes

It was you who started talking about consumer protection and that surely there must something to Chord’s claims because else some kind of protection would step in.

I am just telling you that you can’t rely on that because it’s easy to avoid by not making any claims, and that absence of such rulings is not proof that there is truth in whatever you infer based on their ad copy.

About Chords previous advertising claims before they got smarter:

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/the-chord-company-ltd-a14-274211.html#.VLaZ1UyCOrU

The link you posted is just a collection of weasel words designed to avoid a repeat ruling by simply not saying anything concrete.

1 Like

Sorry, but how does that help anyone else?

If you’ve tried any relevant products, please let us have your experiences, positive or negative and maybe someone will benefit. I thought that was what the forum was all about, not an opportunity to anonymous slag off other OEMs? In fact, I think that breaches forum rules.

1 Like

Ok, thank you, I hadn’t seen that article. Have a virtual beer :beer: on me :blush:

I have no Chord in my setup by the way and I’m not affiliated with them in any way, I agree they may be on their own in terms of protection, but the quote was ‘you’re’. Anyway I don’t hold any grudge on that, it’s still an interesting conversation.

I do however know how my system was effected by changing cables. As I said, each network is different and it may not be replicated elsewhere. How anyway does anyone have time to test all these things to infinity, even the OEMs.

Each to their own and in my comments I’m only trying to aid or discover understanding.

Thanks for your clarification. :blush:

Ironically, I have lots of Chord cables :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Same!

1 Like

Don’t bother Rossd. Discussions on Ethernet cables, switches or grounding items are always the same. Some people think they know all on the subject, other denigrate the subject and advocate the snake oil thing. The others, tired by that, don’t post anymore on it, just enjoy their audiophile switches or cables. It’s a lost cause here.

3 Likes

Thanks @frenchrooster , I’m learning that. Possibly too slowly :joy:

I used to believe the Earth was flat by the way :rofl:

1 Like

Show me anything I posted that was wrong.

And there are lots of threads with crazy stuff about switches and cables where nobody says anything because it’s a lost cause and it’s fine if people waste money for fun - or improve SQ by magic, however you want to see it.

But here in this thread a question was asked, and it would be wrong and unfair to the OP if only incorrect answers were allowed. The OP is always free to plug in the cables this way or that, left, right, upside down, and “trust their ears”

And my recent posts only pointed out logical errors regarding Chord’s advertising

2 Likes

That one is interesting! :open_mouth:

Here is something to feed the small talk.

Nordost Valhalla 2 ethernet cable connected to my desktop computer.

As I don’t use it on my hifi I put it there.

And, yes, I followed Nordost’s recommendations regarding directionality.

I have the "feeling" that my file copies are much faster :wink:

6 Likes

Breaking the forum rules by trying to protect you ? Please.

2 Likes

Looks like the cable is quantum tunneling through the wooden block

I’m not sure how you were protecting me, but virtual beer :beer: to you as well if you were :sunglasses:

I think I broke the rules as well linking to a Chord page, but I did so only to try and illustrate a point. Obvs I picked the wrong example :joy:

1 Like

We have Chord and discordance

2 Likes

Single Pair Ethernet is what you need surely?

1 Like

Suedkiez, is it necessary to have again and again that discussion ?
You are a knowledgeable and tekie guy. Your contribution is very often positive on the forum, specially when pc, data, metadata, …is involved.
But one thing I don’t agree with you is on the matter of Ethernet cables and switches. You are not working in the audio streaming domain, are you? PC, data ….in the industry is not the same domain. The engineers searching and working in that area, be it from Chord, Melco, Nordost…know certainly better than you or Simon or Yellow banana …
Or they are just sorcerers and fake engineers, trying to steal money from consumers. I don’t believe in it.

1 Like