Ethernet Cable Direction - Advice Appreciated

Dischordant thread

1 Like

When it comes to unfounded opinions, I have just as much a right to mine as you to yours. Why would it be allowed to repeat one side over and over and forbidden to mention the other?

3 Likes

Well sorry if I kicked the hornetā€™s nest, I can only say I wasnā€™t aware of the controversy. There are obviously diverse and entrenched opinions on many topics relating to streaming cables. We wonā€™t find a solution or agreement here.

Back to the OPs question however, there is nothing wrong with how your network is linked together. Last switch to Melco to streamer is recognised by many as the best configuration. Iā€™m not sure why two switches, although some swear by it to isolate other connections and perhaps that is dictated by your rooms. Not an issue either way.

As many have said above, amongst all the other comments, let your ears decide and donā€™t be afraid to experiment. How youā€™d potentially improve the configuration I canā€™t say without kicking the nest again so Iā€™ll refrain.

Enjoy your music, we are all joined in that sentiment Iā€™m sure :blush:

1 Like

Ack/Nack

I think in part the problem is that what all manufacturers have done is utilise an existing and very well established standard, namely Ethernet to make data connectivity for streamers universally compatible and accessible using readily available hardware.

The Ethernet standards encompass a wide ranging set of implimentations and support for a variety of use cases, mainly with a goal to improve link speed and reduce complexity whilst also improving connector density where space is at a premium, like a data centre.

Streamers require relatively modest amounts of bandwidth and there are likely more suitable connectivity options that have yet to be fully realised like multimode optical or perhaps more appropriately Single Pair Ethernet in particular 100BASE-T1, that combined with Audio Video Bridging protocols within the IEEE Ethernet standards, gives you a simpler, cheaper connection medium that can be further optimised for audio streaming usecases.

1 Like

The HIFI equipment manufactures have to comply to standards, but the HIFI cable manufacturers donā€™t.

In the case of an Ethernet cable, they could use any type of wires of their choosing with an RJ45 at each end.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to add that my very first reply in this thread, ā€œit does not matterā€ directly below the OP, was based on the information given in the OP, which said nothing about the OP using boutique Ethernet cables with directional arrows. Hence I took it as a question about normal cables.

As I added later when the information about Audioquest cables had been revealed, in this case it certainly makes sense to follow AQā€™s recommendations. Whether it makes a difference or not, as AQ does not provide any technical reasoning, just like other manufacturers of boutique Ethernet cables, this is the only information to go by. And why would one purchase AQ cables if one didnā€™t have trust into whatever it is that they believe.

Alternatively, ā€œtrust your earsā€ with or without checks and balances. If the choice is to do it without, decide for yourself whether it is wise to ignore 150 years of proof regarding the unreliability of doing so.

If the question is asked, however, donā€™t be surprised if different viewpoints are provided, some of which may contradict oneā€™s own. If all one is looking for is confirmations of oneā€™s own viewpoint, asking a question seems useless.

Not necessarily. Ethernet is a standard, and at least one audiophile cable manufacturer has been pulled up for calling their expensive but non-compliant cables Ethernet. It was shortly after this that the term ā€˜streaming cableā€™ appeared.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.