Ethernet cable oddity?

Who knows what you have with those streaming cables since they’re not spec. :innocent:

Trying to get this thread back off track, I have been trying to find a spelling mistake or gross punctuation error to point out. But I wasn’t interested enough to keep the effort up…

2 Likes

Must remember never to post about cables again…

2 Likes

:dart:

Specs tell you nothing about how something sounds, they are just figures/squiggly lines on a piece of paper…at least the connections on the AQ cables are soldered, of far more importance than any (at that particular time) spec sheet i say.

P.S. i have a certified BJC Cat6a cable here that has gone off spec, it will only do 100mb. When i first plugged it into my brand new EE 8Switch i thought the switch was faulty, but no, it turned out to be the certified cable that was at fault. I’ve never had any other Ethernet cable do this, all my AQ cables have been faultless, and therefore up to ‘so called’ spec (work as intended).

Better not mention DC cabling to switch.

Oops.

G

Hi Hifi-dog

I think on the contrary that it is very interesting to talk about it and especially to exchange our experiences.
The only sour messages are those that come from erroneous experiences and those who expect cables (rj45) to do optimization work without knowing if the system is playing well before the cable change.
When everything is “in place” everything is heard…

If your ethernet’s were within spec., they wouldn’t sound different.
How have you managed your ethernet screen grounding? single point to ground? are you sure? how do you know?

2 Likes

Yes, that was my point. See my post above. I just-plug in and let my ears do the work.

P.S. the thing is they do all sound different, whether certified on paper or not. Hence the OP’s oddity.

lol Your use case doesn’t jibe with your claims which don’t hold up to scrutiny. Specs give you consistency. You have have a streaming cable that may or may not be in spec which is why you’ve struggled so much with your results. And let’s be real, in 6 mos you will have moved on to the next shiny object.

2 Likes

It’s Timmy Mallett! :thinking::wink:

1 Like

On a more serious note… Psychoacoustic/placebo effect? Have you has someone change the cable over without your knowing which is which?

2 Likes

no one in the house has any idea what an ethernet cable is!

1 Like

Its often surprising the small changes you make in a well set up system can give positive (or sometimes negative) differences to the sound.

I agree small changes can make a difference (sometimes) but a so called “well set up system” raises doubts in my mind, given that most forum members are not experts.
Hence why I asked Stephen Tate … “How have you managed your ethernet screen grounding? single point to ground? are you sure? how do you know?”

1 Like

Im referring to someone that has spent time listening to their system and trying various things for themselves, after paying careful attention to the basics that naim recommend. You don’t need to be an expert, you just need to listen and be able to decide whether the sound is better or worse than before.

2 Likes

sorry i thought that was directed at Stephen Tate -im not sure how the AudioQuest cables are screened. either way im regretting mentioning it!

1 Like

Sorry that’s my bad. Not for you at all. Brain fog again.
I’ve edited the post so it makes sense.

I have simply plugged in my cables as AQ recommend to do so. It doesn’t get anymore complicated than that. I’m in broad agreement with Mr Happy - just plug in and listen for oneself. Otherwise what is the point?

1 Like

You don’t need to know how they are screened, just follow AudioQuest’s instructions written on the box and use one’s ears. Have you found your conclusion thus far? If so, i would stick with that and see how you go, and forget about all the mumbo-jumbo…

1 Like