Ethernet cable wall --> router --> switch

Lots of topics focus on ethernet cables and the last step between a switch and streamer but this thread mainly focus on the steps prior to that meaning from wall/media converter to router to switch.

So, what do you use and what’s your experience?

My BT BB VDSL service is FTTC & the cabinet is apx 250m distant
The line tests at 74mb/s / 19mp/s

From wall socket I have Kenable Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11
This goes to the Surge Protection RJ11 socket on my APS 350 (UPS)
This cable has a TDK (H30) ferrite snap bead with the cable passing thru 5 turns

The same Kenable brand cable from APS surge protection to BT Smarthub-2

I bought the cables mainly to have shorter (1.5m is near correct length) & not the 5m long IPS cables.
TBH I have not detected anything of note in SQ terms or better line ‘speed’ (bandwidth) testing using Ookla & the BT app test.

The BT Smarthub-2 connects to a Cisco switch via Blue Jeans Cable Cat-6, but we have a forum library about all that stuff.
The BT Smarthub-2 also supplies the Digital Voice phone service.

I don’t believe that step is too important cable wise.

Regards
Gary

1 Like

My router sits right next to my ONT box. I use a very short length of Melco ethernet cable to connect it. Router to switch is Chord C Stream, switch to Melco is Chord C Stream.

Only reason I use the Melco cable is that the shortest one Chord do is 75cm - which is inconveniently long and it’s pretty stiff cable.

Was thinking of investigating more expensive Chord ethernet cables but it all sounds so good what’s the point?! And I’m not made of money.

I’ve tried them all as far as Signature Super Aray, and still think the C-stream sounds (works) best!

G

Thanks Graeme, that’s good to know. Puts my mind nicely at rest!

1 Like

I currently use Supra Cat8 on all positions except the last step. I’ve ordered Telegärtner plugs to update (?) them as @Peder highly recommended them. Seems super easy to mount them.

I’ve read that the Supra is rather dull sounding,maybe not worth changing the termination…
This was considered much better:Viablue Cat 6A, 2.0m, £99.99.

Interesting topic.

I use a 3m CHORD Epic streaming cable to connect my modem to my switch (Cisco 2960), and I use a 1m CHORD Epic streaming cable to connect my switch to my network music player (Naim NDX 2).

I have not tried anything beyond the CHORD Epic streaming cable, but it sounds better than the more affordable ethernet cables I have tried.

1 Like

It’s the Lavender of Ethernet cables in my experience. Have had BJC too but lost the mojo and a bit too neutral for me :blush:

The Telegärtner can be reused so might try other cables too :+1:

Will have a look at Viablue :+1:

I have Fiber 1gb to the wall. From there to the router and for everything else I use Beldon Cat 6 and Cat6e (most of it tested Blue Jean Cable brand, some is cheapy Monoprice cable). The hardware includes a pair of Tp-link Deco 6E wireless mesh units (with ethernet backhaul), a couple Linksys switches and a couple Cisco 2960G switches.

I don’t use any fancy pants boutique ethernet cables. They might make things sound different, but not better. My dealer once sent me home with a $1800 ethernet cable to try. My wife and I went back and forth taking notes. She didn’t know which cable was which. Some things we liked better with the costly cable. Some we liked better with the standard Blue Jeans Beldon Cat6 cable. Most of our notes pointed to preference for the standard cable. We saved $1780. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay,never found the Lavender being dull :wink: I have not tested The Supra Cat 8 cable my self, but the Supra cables I have tried has not been anywhere close to the Naim sound.

Some one once convinced me to get a Supra Cat8 cable insisting it was better. It’s laying on the floor next to me unused. It was a complete waste of money.

1 Like

I’m FTP. From the junction box (Gigaclear modem?) I use CAT5 cable to WiFi hub (Linksys) with a wired connection to a Cisco switch that feeds all rooms. All of these boxes are on a separate mains circuit that is shared with the hifi.

Upto now it works fine, although there seems to some WiFi latency with two other WiFi hubs in the house.

I’ve always understood that it’s best to keep the computer stuff on the ring main, and reserve the dedicated mains just for the Naim and other hifi boxes.

3 Likes

That’s mostly what I do. However. I have two dedicated 20amp circuits with their own isolated ground. One for the music room (Naim) and the other for the HT system in living room. The Fiber modem, router, switch, Intel NUC (Roon ROCK) and one of the Deco 6E wifi nodes is on the living room circuit (it all sits behind the TV) . All the other stuff is on the main with the rest of the house.

1 Like

Agree in general but think their ethernet is an exception from the rule :slight_smile: I cancelled the order and will get the Viablue EP-7 silver and terminate with Telegärtner instead and see what happens :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why the need to get Telegartner RJ45 ?
They are industrial metal cased, not great or necessary for domestic. They might look like robust, but recall them getting a negative in an ethernet test and blamed for causing the cable assy to not pass compliance for CAT7.

1 Like

Many high end manufacturers use them I guess for a reason. They are also easy to terminate. Any proposals of other connectors that potentially are better?

1 Like

Not so sure I agree that ‘many’ use them.
They are easy to install because they are made that way, I’ve used them in my previous work life & yes so much easier in field/service sitations than a normal RJ45.
A problem I envisage is the small section of PCB (that is the main installation aid) is a section of straight line & does not maintain the required cable pairs twist.
Suboptimal RJ45 connections such as this negativly affect NEXT (near end cross talk) and RL (reflection loss).
Looking at the Viablue EP-7 RJ45 plugs it seems a shame to remove what looks like a nicely made plug.