Ok, I know. But I think it’s time we have a grown up thread on Ethernet cables - seriously, I believe we can. Why would I otherwise do this to you in the face of all recent misfortune?
I suggest the following fairly simple additional rules to adhere to for this thread in particular. Please ONLY participate if you agree:
1. ONLY share YOUR ACTUAL LISTENING experience in YOUR system (no general thoughts, reviews or what others said). This does not necessarily need to be an A-B straight testing or all on the same day, no blind testing required (but welcome, of course).
2. ONLY comment on SOUND quality (not cost, value for money, technical specs discussion etc.)
3. Share the top 1-3 KEY SOUND CHARACTERISTICS that stand out for you for each cable (not long descriptions). Clearly, what you hear is relative to the cables your compare and specific to your mix. Keep it simple.
4. Provide SOME DETAIL - at a minimum: where the ethernet cable comes from (e.g. which switch), the cable model and length, and where it goes to (e.g. which streamer)
5. State your TOP PREFERENCE or if you would like to rank/score the cables you have tried in order of preference, and what made you choose your favourite, if you have one
1. If you have not heard any difference (or very little etc.), just state it but do not explain that this is because it’s not possible to hear a difference (and why). No general statements on the topic of cables (only share your experience (see DOs N1)
2. Do not challenge others’ listening experience, expertise or preference (but ask clarification questions by all means). There are no opinion leaders and super experts in this thread
3. Do not doubt anyone’s system ability to reveal differences
4. Do not engage to reply to posts that you feel do not adhere to above rules to “fix” it, just move on
Ok, I managed more DOs than DON"Ts, good start. I am sure not perfect, may be somewhat overlapping here and there, but hope you get the idea.
… Let’s go.
So, let me start with mine as an example to show what I have in mind:
All my impressions are from cables between a Chord EE 8switch and NDX2. I pulled out several cables I am using around the house. Not compared in a single session, no blind testing:
No Name 5e, 1 metre (a generic cable I found for reference) - does the job, but feels clearly quieter and dull compared to the rest
Audioquest Forest, 3 metres - more detail and life than No Name, feels a bit harsh with some recordings? very acceptable.
Audioquest Cinnamon, 8 metres - similar to Forest, not much to separate, may be better mids?
Audioquest Vodka 0.75 metre - very likeable, nice full, round tones and may be best pianos, top end feels bright rather than transparent
Chord C-Stream, 1 metre - no particular flaws, not particularly exciting either, could live with it in a brighter system? I once previously had a Chord Epic, which I remember I liked, but somehow this one reminded me that the Epic too was not really … well, exciting. I would like to listen to the Signature?
Wireworld Starlight, 1 metre and 2 metres - feels a bit flatter than the Vodka? Best upper mids and highs - transparent and light, great long decays, no harsh brightness. Could not hear any difference between 1M and 2M
My choice between these - the Starlight, for the balance, air and transparency at the top end, lifting the music with no harshness! Next - Vodka, next may be C-Stream but not sure?
I may add a cable or two over the next days … if the thread survives!
That’s it. Your turn. Keep it simple and enjoy the thread, hope useful too!