Ethernet cables - YOUR LISTENING Shooutout Summary

Fully agree.
:roll_eyes:

Resistance is futileā€¦The Borg.

1 Like

Right
My name is Roy George
Naim amplifiers require speaker cable with a certain inductance for our amplifier to work properly.
Oh , by the way, Iā€™m an engineer

Really?

1 Like

Perhaps I should have included the words ā€˜Forum membersā€™.

1 Like

Didnā€™t mention the title ā€˜engineerā€™ but anyway I reconize your vieuw on this.
:blush:

Maybe Roy used to engineer toasters, no NAPs. Toaster engineers sell a lot of fried air.

60 posts on shielding, floating, millimeter, screen connectionā€¦
In a thread called : YOUR LISTENING shoot out summary
As often, there is more members interested by measurements, numbers, ā€¦than listening impressions.

4 Likes

I guess there are only so many hundred posts you can read, all basically saying ā€˜cable X is better than cable Yā€™ before it gets a bit boring (subjectively, of course!) so a bit of thread drift is inevitable. But yes, a different thread would be appropriate.

1 Like

Multimeters are even more boring!

3 Likes

Well yes, but youā€™d have to get something really imaginitive printed on your Ethernet cable for it to be more interesting than a multimeter display. I feel you are the man to take up this challenge.

1 Like

I have already put forward an advisory message in the form of a limerick to put on the side of a CatSnake.

See post 517.

You canā€™t say I havenā€™t tried.

You are aware that BJC Cat 6a is a floating shield as well, and most here, myself included, found 6a to better than 6.

1 Like

Shakerpeare, eat your heart out!

Thank you. I am aware of that.
The fact remains that I have recently changed my digital source from a Linn KDS to a dCS Rossini.

The network engineer for dCS has specifically stated that UNSHIELDED Ethernet cable should be used for maximum performance ie CAT 6.

I would like to follow the manufacturers recommendations. As I posted above it would be like Roy George telling me to use NAC A5 due to its inductive properties and then me completely ignoring him and using a cable with different properties.

What do engineers know :wink:

And some diversions not directly to do with the cables at allā€¦ but the recent exchange about measurements was actually started by people wanting to know if theyā€™d bought what they thought they had, which is perfectly understandable whethe or not they think it sounds good!

1 Like

And Timing!

1 Like

It doesnā€™t need to create 60 posts on that.

I agree. My post was the only one required.

Ah. Well, let us know what you think since youā€™ll have both (I went from 6 to 6a).

I use 8m of Chord Rumor 2 on my BD 160 and before that 110. Sounds great, as good if not better than the 3.5m of NACA5 I had (now in office on 110). What do engineers know? :wink:

60 post on various technical clarifications, 500 posts on how it all sounds ā€¦ the first has resolved the questions, the second remains ā€¦ ongoing

4 Likes