Ethernet cables - YOUR LISTENING Shooutout Summary

But, from a commercial POV, no manufacturer wants to inform its buyers that their product works better if they spend £xyz on a streaming cable, particularly another company’s product. Also, they don’t want to be seen endorsing one cable brand in preference to another (unless it’s their own, surprise surprise) as it would potentially alienate prospective customers.

My experience (with my second generation Linn Klimax DS streamer/DAC) is that the audio impact of changing ethernet cables (and switches) is minimal, or subtle at best. This view appears to be shared by most Linn Klimax users.

I don’t doubt that the vast majority of others who claim to hear large differences are reporting their findings with their music streaming systems honestly. This leads me to believe that the audio impact of changing ethernet cables or switches is largely system and network dependant. It may simply be that as with the Linn Klimax, DCS streamers/DACS are not susceptible to the adverse effect of network ‘noise’ in the way that some other brands might be.

During testing and evaluation, I have found there to be very obvious sound differences between different streamers/DACs in similar price ranges. I have also found there to be significant sound differences between different ‘analogue’ cables and interconnects. However, swapping ethernet cables or switches has always for me had very little (if any) impact on ‘sound’.

The above is true, but we are not talking about data integrity. No one doubts that the TCP protocol performs as expected.
Where people find sonic differences is mostly due to the (quality of the) current that is tied to the data packet. It is not by chance that connecting a good LPS simply to the switch enhances the sound quality; data packets and network protocol are not the point. Their example on how banks would save millions in a pure IT domain is therefore irrelevant to “us audiophiles” as, again, the integrity of the data packets being sent over a network is not in discussion.
It’s very similar to the “bits are bits” discussion and this would (and does) apply to any digital signal.

2 Likes

Hi Hmack, is yours a Katalyst version? I’m not sure which version of KDS/KDSM that applies to (it was so much easier when we could check on the old a Linn forum :wink:) but, just to say that with my KDSM Katalyst, the quality of streaming cable (and i/c) makes a profound difference.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

I wish my Klimax DS was the Katalyst version - I think. I say this because I have never heard one myself, but opinion appears to be pretty uniform that it is ‘better’ than the earlier versions.

My Klimax DS is the 2nd generation version (i.e. the DS/1).

I’m surprised that you notice a profound difference between streaming (ethernet) cables because the consensus amongst Linn Klimax owners I have come across appears be otherwise. Still, maybe the difference is down to our respective home networks or perhaps my ageing ears, or perhaps we view the effect differently. It’s possible that differences that I would class as subtle to you are audible and therefore ‘profound’.

Perhaps it is because I haven’t indulged in ‘expensive’ options. I have tried bog standard cables from Maplin along with BJC, Catsnake and Audioquest Cinnamon.

In any case, let’s just both enjoy our music streaming systems.

Cheers!

I will take your word for that, :grinning: as I’m not IT savvy, or an electronics engineer. I can set up my own network with a Switch and Ethernet cables, and that’s about it. :grinning:

I actually use AudioQuest Cinnamon, which was recommended to me by @anon4489532 about 6 years ago to connect my ND5 XS. It was only the fact, that I’m making a major purchase, a dCS Bartók, that I popped the dreaded Ethernet question on their forum, and received the above reply.
Personally, I’d never buy a £4.99 one from Tesco, but probably wouldn’t go for a AQ Diamond either.

Yes, the Katalyst is a terrific upgrade, well worth saving up for but the KDS you have is a fantastic device… and it’s a one box player… and it doesn’t rely on a separate power supply… and it has SO :grin:

Quite possibly what I hear is down to network and system variations although I have compared the same cable on other systems and found the same. It could also be down to what we listen for, I accept that (and we probably share the “aging ears” bit).

It may also be, as you phrase it, the “expensive option”, as I’d agree with you that BJC, Catsnake and others seem to make little difference. It was when I tried a Chord Indigo a few years ago that I started to take notice and ended up at the “very expensive option” end, which is where the difference is profound. When all this Covid stuff is over, I’d be delighted to bring it over for you to have a listen.

In the meantime, I totally agree; let’s enjoy our music streaming systems. Have a great weekend.

Do you know that HH recently flogged his AQ Ethernet cables and replaced them with the excellent and inexpensive Blue Jean cat 6a?

1 Like

That’s indeed the case. After the Cinnamons I swapped to Vodkas. It turned out that £20 of BJCs was more enjoyable than £500 of Vodkas. There is little consistency though and one person’s better is another’s worse.

1 Like

As has been stated many times previously, any effect from different ethernet cables and switches will be dependant upon the DAC involved, and some are far far more susceptible to RF carried through or picked up by the network than others. It could well be that the DCS Bartok cited a few posts ago (and maybe other DCS products) is simply one of those that is immune or nigh-on, whereas it appears from the many reports that the first gen Naim products may have been quite susceptible, and the latest gen may be to some extent - though of course any effect on those susceptible will depend on the network and what else is connected, and the electrical environment in which it sits.

4 Likes

I didn’t know that, but I’m not surprised.:grinning:@hungryhalibut does like to ‘change things’. Which is a good thing, as it keeps us on our toes!:+1:

A very good point @Innocent_Bystander👍

1 Like

Agreed with much of what is said in the last few posts. I have a combo of BJC and AQ Cinnamon, but I confess that I just ordered the Vodka because the work I’m in gives me a heavy discount on really nice audio accessories; it’s the only reason for splurging on such a thing at this point in my audio life. I don’t expect much, honestly, given my understanding and somewhat biased view of the tech involved (I’m admittedly a bit skeptical of Ethernet cables vs analog, though there may not be any basis in it), but I’m also open to the possibility of being wrong. Regardless, I am into ancillaries with sound engineering without all of the pomp and circumstance, and have good construction. Subjectivity is in the ear of the beholder and shouldn’t be subject to fault or ridicule. It is what it is. BJC fits that bill whether or not they’re subjectively ‘better’ than something 20x their suggested price. I’m simply trying out the Vodka because it comes cheap-ish to me, and because it may very well prove quite the fit in my system, for whatever reason (SQ first, I say). Without taking off on a rant here, it may very well be the reason for why we keep switching things out like this…to satisfy a curiosity more than anything and move on rather than use a bias to justify the expenditure then move on, if that makes any sense.

3 Likes

Let us know how you find the Vodka…and I don’t mean the one in the bottle! :grinning:

I don’t really think so. All that’s changed in respect of the main system in the last three years is a swap to BJC, getting an EE and getting a MusicWorks mains block. Everything else is exactly the same. Other than buying the Rega of course, but that an addition rather than a change.

Just be prepared for a very long burn in on these cables, especially the AQ.
I have the dcs rossini and clock, plus a melco n1zs/2, i replaced my very cheap cable from the router to melco, with catsnake and did feel that it made a slight difference, but the catsnake is run surface around the room, whereas the cheap cable, runs in the wall and ceiling along with mains cables etc, so this could easily account for the difference, but the catsnake is cheap and its staying.
I do now use a AQ diamond from the melco to rossini and this i found did bring a worthwhile gain, not sure why really, but it was against a 1.5 m catsnake and AQ cinnamon

Long burn in for Ethernet cables???

Sounds strange to me.

It guess, but I may be wrong, that the bits parts won’t improve with time. For what physical reason could Ethernet cables mature like wine and give a better sound?

I am puzzled.

Yep, my cables sounded a bit bright and even harsh, especially the vodka and diamond, i had from new on trial, very different to a well used diamond i was also lent to try, because of how bad i found the new one to be.

Indeed not; bits, packets and network protocol won’t improve with time… :blush:
But neither does the analog signal on an IC, or current in a mains cable.
Gee… what is it then that runs in ??? :wink:

Run in/burn in is a combination of all the changes that occur to the entire system - inc. the item, the room, the listener, the electrical environment, etc.

e.g. electrochemical changes to the dialectric, magnetic and other changes to the metal parts of the cable, whether the listener has lost his hearing aid, etc.