Ethernet connection within house?

Even some of the old Catalyst switches were Gb on all ports. Look for one with a G in the model number such as a 2960G.

I did a systematic check of all the connections, including using a RJ45 Cable Tester. Once I had ascertained that up to a certain switch was fine, connected a laptop to that and speed was OK.

I than ran a long cable from that switch to the switch that the PC in the office was connected to and the speed was OK.

Reconnected the original cable and the speed dropped. So it was either the long cable to the switch, the switch itself or the short patch cable to the PC.

Changing the short patch cable, no difference, connected the laptop to the long cable no change. By process of elimination that told me it was the long cable.

Swapped out the long cable and the speed was OK. Only problem was that the faulty cable, which was installed and terminated by me went from one room via the loft to the room with the PC in. Cut off and replaced the RJ45 plugs and tested again, same slow speed.

Instead of removing the faulty cable, I just ran a new pre-terminated cable and eventually put it in trunking to hide it.

For information, the original cables were CAT6, apart from the faulty one, which was CAT6a. The replacement cable was CAT6.

The end result was that when the faulty cable was in place, the speed dropped from 70mbs down to around 24mbs.

Over the years I had had mice in the loft and whether the cable had been chewed, causing damage creating the issues, so assuming that may be what happened.

But it was all fixed and tidied up to make it look as discrete as possible.

DG…

Thanks DG.

I’ve just done equivalent test and proof here: unplugged everything in the Cisco except the key connection between the router and the XBox.

Turned off WiFi on the XBox and it said it was connected wired - and it worked fine - but immediately stopped working when I unplugged the ethernet cable.

And connected a laptop into the faceplate in that room and it connected wired at 480mbps.

So that’s sorted.

Just need to improve WiFi speeds and stability now.

But that’s less urgent.

1 Like

Yeah Cisco 2960X switches are gigabit and have been EOL now for many years so are cheap used.

As far as WiFi avoid extenders as they tend to choke your WiFi throughput. Use proper WiFi access points that cooperate with each other (which is how non point to point WiFi is designed to work) with either wireless back haul or ideally Ethernet back haul.
I would look at Ubiquiti , it is good, reliable, fast, capable and can make WiFi equivalent to Ethernet for practical use. Works well with BT SH2. Just disable the WiFi on the SH2 and use the Ubiquiti wireless lan instead.

1 Like

That’s a very nice offer.

I live up north, but occasionally come to Pershore to see family.

I grew up in Solihull.

Just a note about ubiquiti; I had 3 of their entry level ap units setup correctly. But they were constantly failing, it was a firmware issue and after following threads with many owners complaining, I eventually ditched them for HP Aruba. (Had them for 2 years).
My guess is not all ubiquiti units are equal; I suspect the more expensive ones are the ones to buy, mine were £85 or so each.
(Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE Unif 11ac)

Plenty of videos on Utube

Thanks Robert, that’s interesting to know.

Usually if I check my BB speed on my phone next to the router it’s between 300 and 570 mbps.

For the last couple of days it’s been about 85.

Is this normal with EE fibre BB?

I would pull the mains power on your router, and reconnect it after a few minutes. If that doesn’t help, take a deep breath, put the kettle on, and get on the phone to EE.

Good plan. :+1:

Turn it off and on - and it starts working. :grinning:

1 Like

You had Naim gear for decades then got the Cornwalls.

Did you originally hear them with Naim amps, or did you decide to move away from Naim for other reasons?

Why do most Klipsch owners not use Naim?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.