Ethernet connection within house?

I need to get a better connection to my son’s bedroom so that he can have a more reliable and faster connection for gaming.

We have BT full fibre broadband.

The only wired items in the house from the Router are the TV, and a Cisco switch leading to the HiFi.

The previous owner of the house 10 years ago wired up that bedroom with the socket shown in the photo below.

A normal ethernet cable will not plug into that socket and click home.

It seems to be a phone extension socket.

The socket is fed by the purple cable shown:

“OptronicPlus Cat 6 F/UTP cable 4P Solid 23AWG LSZH ETL Verified TIA/EIA 568 ISO/IEC 11801 2002”.

The plug on the downstairs end of the cable appears to be a telephone plug (RJ11?) as far as I can tell, not an RJ45 ethernet plug?

And the thin plastic connector that should click into place when the plug is plugged in has been broken off.

Is this an ordinary cat six ethernet cable?

If so, do I have to change the socket upstairs to an Ethernet socket, and connect the other end to my router somehow?

Or could I use some form of Plug-in converters?

If you have BT full fibre broadband why don’t you get a BT extension disc which could sit in his bedroom?

Yes, that’s another possibility.

I’m not sure what the pros and cons are of doing that versus the two options I suggested above?

Which will give the best reliability and speed in the end?

I have 150mbps download fibre.

I think for gaming, the ping time is very important:

“Response time, also called latency or ping, indicates how quickly data travels from your device to the server – the quicker, the better.

This is a particularly important consideration for applications where timing is everything, such as interactive video games.

Response time is measured in milliseconds (ms)”.

1 Like

The cable itself is regular Cat6 Ethernet, so you could reterminate it with RJ45 plugs or wall plates.

Alternatively, if the cable is in conduit you may be able to use it to pull through a ready made cable, although the plugs may make this difficult, depending on how smooth the conduit is.

1 Like

You could get a RJ45 wall plate and IDC Punch Down tool from somewhere like Amazon.

Colour coded to show how to terminate.

Pictures courtesy of Amazon.

DG…

1 Like

I have run an Ethernet Cable from near my router to my ‘office’ upstairs, running the wires up the wall outside.

I have an RJ45 Socket wall mounted at each end. I run an Ethernet cable from my Router to the downstairs socket, then another from the upstairs socket into my Win 11 PC.

@DiggyGun has given the terminations, above. Think only 4 wires are needed…? And the insertion tool… (mine is plastic, but it works - or use a screwdriver…)

Works.

As has been suggested, replace the upstairs module with a Cat 6 module, and similarly terminate the other end with a module (ensuring same wiring at each end - T568B is preferred), then use a patch cable to connect to the router.

As has also been mentioned, ping is important for gaming. Bufferbloat is also something to consider i.e., spikes in demand causing latency.

Yes, at peak demand time there can be five people streaming or gaming at home.

But I doubt much can be done about that, unless somehow traffic could be prioritised.

I thought about this today and realised it was a good idea as we are not getting reliable connectivity or high rates of broadband upstairs for any of the various computers and devices there.

So I called BT and signed up for BT complete Wi-Fi, which consists of getting up to 3 BT Wi-fi discs for the grand price of £2.23 per month on top of my BT broadband.

But I will also sort out a wired connection for the gaming device soon as well.

2 Likes

Yes. It called Quality Of Service and a switch that supports “QoS” can do that. But configuring it is non trivial. You need to know the ports and/protocols used by different types of service if you wanted to carve out a chunk of bandwidth dedicated to Netflix.

I doubt you’ll need it. Most content is quite compressed.

To the OP, Reterminating those cables with RJ45 ports should be trivial though. A network cable crimp set, tester and some practice should be sufficient. Maybe a good job for your son.

I snaked 17 Cat6a ports in our house and it’s not that hard.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice to all on this thread.

Good to hear. As for the wired connection - I run my Nova on an Ethernet cable to an extension disc - works flawlessly!

Smart Queues Management is what to look for, rather than traditional Quality of Service. Configuration is trivial for some routers e.g., such as Unifi Dream Machines and Amazon eero, others less so. BT routers support neither SQM or QoS, however.

The following are useful resource for simulating bufferbloat:

1 Like

Oh, that’s a simpler way of doing it than trying to get the in-wall cable to work both ends.

I’ll give that a try when the first disc arrives on Tuesday.

How many discs do you have, and how do they distribute loads between them if multiple devices could access any of them?

I have 3 discs but beyond that I have no idea how they work - magic? :wink:

That’s correct. When you add a disc, you are told to say the words “Izzy Wizzy Lets Get Busy”, then they all sync up

3 Likes

I’ll dust down my Royal Ladakhi cape ready for the occasion. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would always recommend hard wiring devices where possible.

Phone cables and Ethernet cables are pretty identical in design, other than the number of pairs. In fact twisted pair Ethernet cables were derived from phone extension cables originally.

So to your example that cable looks to be 4P, which is what you need for 1Gbps Ethernet.
So I would simply re terminate into an Ethernet wall socket and you should be fine in your son’s bedroom.

Plenty on the web or basic books to show how to wire an ethernet plug and socket up.
Ie RJ45 Pinout Wiring Diagram for Ethernet Cat 5, 6 and 7 - Satoms

Bear in mind the house wiring should be pass through wiring config.