Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I confirm that!

2 Likes

Thanks Bluesfan.

A little are tolerance (from both sides) would not go amiss here.

4 Likes

No - got mine via a UK reseller so an all-in cost. I’d considered it a while and was one of those items that I took a punt on trying without audition as - I couldn’t unfortunately, but the reviews from multiple users had a common positive theme.

In fact the day I ordered one was spooky the day I unexpectedly received the Melco switch to try too - this is three times the price of the ER so I’d want to try that definitely before considering it. The Melco switch is a nice reassuringly ‘quiet’ switch - very calm and neutral effect on replay.

I’m finding the ER is also very good but in a different way with a lot of its own character of so far a very positive kind. As with a lot of these things, what the Designer expected it to achieve is in addition to what it actually achieves.

I’m pointing the ‘B’ side port at the Melco-ND555 chain with rather good results and don’t think I’d want it in-between before the Melco direct at the ND555 from present results. The Melco Server has its own character I auditioned an like that I want to preserve in my system.

I found the Ethernet feeding it made too much difference with the Cisco 2960 then dual Cisco switches so a well-considered ‘HiFi switch’ was what I wanted to try to see what the ND555 and Melco could do - so far my results are very encouraging from either ER or Melco switch, but they seem to have different signatures.

DB.

2 Likes

Really pleased I have purchased my PD Series switch on a whim, it seems to have paid off for a worthwhile upgrade for very little out lay. Very highly recommended from me anyway. I didn’t want to go down the two switch route because of all the extra cabling, boxes, and a rather scruffy installation, although only temporary, but the uplift in sound quality is quite remarkable, at least here anyway. BJC Cat 6a throughout with only a AQ Vodka into ND5 XS 2. Worth it? Oh yes, absolutely. I just need now to find a way for a much more neater, tidier and permanent installation. Thanks here to those who have inspired me to go down this route. Merry Christmas All!

1 Like

Thanks…interesting you have the melco already, good on you

I own the Melco Data Server N1zh2 6TB version that I like.

The Melco switch is on loan to try with it and the rest of my system - it is totally new so I found it needed the run-in to open it out - in sounded good immediately but a lot more to come.

The ER was inspired from all the tinkering and wanting to try a switch that had HiFi in its design intent which as good as the Cisco is does not.
Having said that the outlay for the two Cisco switches is about a 5th the cost of the ER which in turn is a 3rd the cost of the Melco.
The Cisco is definitely the least cost way of getting a great result.
The ER and Melco are more capable but different in their presentation and qualities - I have not had either for long enough to be fair to them but they are good products with different signatures so far.

The ER is beginning a bit feisty but incredibly capable with detail and quiet backgrounds - but I’m hearing a strong interaction with cables, so these need to be right for the given system.

The Melco switch has a charming ‘neutrality’ to it and also quiet and detailed. Neutrality can be the most difficult quality to attain and easy initially dismissed but hungered-for later so you need to get used to what that brings to the replay chain and system presentation.

Unfortunately I could see myself liking both for different reasons. But great these products are appearing now.

Both ER and Melco are up-gradable with better PS modules so that is useful, but both come with very capable small dongle SM supplies that seem to be good.

DB.

1 Like

OK I have now substituted the Cinnamon for a Vodka between the two 2960 switches which has transformed the SQ. Installing two switches and listening for the first time with a Cinnamon connecting them robbed all the dynamics, micro-detail and subtle tonal queues from the excellent SQ I was being treated to with the single 2960 (non PD).

Putting the Vodka between the two 2960s (in place of the Cinnamon) immediately restored the SQ to almost where it was with one 2960, and an hour later it has now moved ahead in SQ terms compared to one 2960. I am sure there is more to come….

I conclude that the cable connecting two 2960s is critical, which when you think that it is the penultimate streaming cable in the chain, is not so surprising. Use the wrong one and SQ is demolished and is worse than with one 2960. It is surprising to me how much difference this one streaming cable in this position can make. I would therefore warn those contemplating the move from one to two 2960s to be prepared to put in some leg work to make them work.

I have to say, although the fiddling entailed with two switches can be irritating, when you get it right the results are quite extraordinary. I never truly understood the ultimate capability of all these black boxes until now. What is truly staggering is how capable my little old 250DR is! Absolutely amazing what this little power amp can deliver when fed the sonic goods.

I might tinker a bit more but I want to enjoy what I have for now and if I am tempted to play I will always have this ‘default set-up’ to return to if I make a wrong turn.

So a message for @Gazza and @Stephen_Tate - adding a second 2960 is a bit like going down the gym, ‘no pain, no gain’……

1 Like

Hi Nigel,
I have taken my BJC off the PoE port and gone into one of the 8 normal ports. More gain here for me at least. Glad things are coming together for you at last. Remember, our PD switches have only little warm up time on them, so more to come I think. .

Hi DB,
What power supply do you have on the ER, this makes a big positive difference. I am using Sean Jacob’s top flight murndorf caps etc, and it really is superb improvement on its basic version. Please bare in mind I do not use the melco but our are systems are very similar.

That seems to be the one consistent thing in my system as well.
A screened cable for the link to the streamer has a number of negative effects, most particularly reducing the differentiation of instrumental timbres.

I think you will find that the Cat6 DB refers to connects his second 2960 to his Melco. I believe DB uses a Vodka between this 2960 and his streamer, which of course is screened (but I believe the screen is only connected at one end so is acting as a drain).

@Darkebear, please correct me if I have misunderstood.

That doesn’t apply in the same way for digital cables - price is no indicator of the resulting perceived sound quality, as the matching of the cable’s minor electrical characteristics to the minor electrical characteristics of the audio components is what determines the perceived sound quality in the resulting system. As these minor characteristics are never defined in specifications (it would be nearly impossible and would be a huge ridiculously technical tome should it ever be attempted), these interactions are almost entirely unpredictable.

OK well, the logic, above in this post, still applies to digital cables at any location!

1 Like

Don’t disagree but the vast majority of posts I read where folk are using posh (read expensive) streaming cables appear to get the best results when said cables are used as the last link to the streamer/DAC. That is all the evidence I have to support the so-called mantra.

2 Likes

And my experience is the opposite!

A simple UTP cable has outperformed ALL screened cables - from general screened Ethernet patch leads to screened ‘streaming cables’ from boutique cable suppliers.

2 Likes

Could it possibly be that speakers may be dictating things here also?

Not quite. Yes to first sentence but No to second.

Mine are ‘daisy-chained’ : …from Router Cat5e - Switch 1 - Vodka - Switch 2 - Cat6 - Melco Database - Vodka - ND555

…and now I try other combinations with the ER and Melco switch (which I have for a few more days).

DB.

Interesting results Nigel. I have a router in the back room, with 20 metres or so around the house, then into the lounge. Then a cheap switch handling Tv box etc, then under the fireplace to my Cisco and hifi.

Not sure if any more Cisco would help, perhaps wait for the DB evaluation of Melco vs ethernet regen?

this being a written forum rather than one using recorded voice, it think it’s posters rather than speakers. :smile:

(i.e. I think this is affected more by the person commenting than by the HiFi speakers they use!)

1 Like

It is a serious question. I very much doubt I would be entertaining Vodka cables if I were running my old Credo speakers for instance, especially when they were ‘active’.

I’ve not tried anything other than the default one right now.
My view was that I could gauge what the ER does with that and then consider upgrades if I generally like what that does.

How would you describe the sonic/musical differences the supply options give?

The Melco also has supply upgrades mentioned but comes with the cheap ‘get you going OK’ supply.
That seems a default I’m seeing a lot now. The default cheap supply needs to be good enough that people want to buy the product, but not so expensive that it makes the whole initial package too costly.

Supplies are something I’ll definitely get to later, but wanted to find out what they generally did right now as they arrived.

DB.