Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I see.

Think I will leave the Vodka on the last leg and swap a Cinnamon with another Vodka, so I also have Vodka between the two switches, assuming things still don’t sound right tomorrow.

:small_blue_diamond:@NigelB,…

1. And powercables have a greater effect on a Cisco,.than many want to realize.
    All these powercables below,.affect the soundquality of a Cisco in different ways.

The level of differences may vary,.but the ranking between the cables usually consists,no matter what products they connect to.

1.Jorma Duality w Furutech FI-E50 NCF contacts

2.Swedish cable w Carbon-fibre contacts,.I’m not allowed to reveal the name yet.

3.Jorma Duality w Oyaide P/C 004 contacts.

4.Swedish cable w Rhodium-contacts,.I’m not allowed to reveal the name yet.

5.Entreq Atlantis w Furutech FI-E50 NCF

6.Acoustic Revive w Acrolink contacts

7.Entreq Apollo w Furutech FI-E50 NCF

8.Jorma Duality w Oyaide M1/F1 contacts

1. These powercables can vary in level-differences in different systems.
    But the ranking between the cables tends to be fixed,.between different systems.

2. And @NigelB,.the “fun” never ends :sweat_smile:.

:small_orange_diamond:I can mention,.that the difference between powercable numbers 1 and 8 is quite large.
It’s a similar cable,.it’s just the contacts that are of different brands.

Both at a very high level,.but the musical presentation differs a little bit.

:small_blue_diamond:Cable numbers 2 and 4 have a slightly warmer presentation,.but with much larger soundstage.

:small_orange_diamond:Number 6,.sounds a bit harsh and incoherent. The musical flow is not experienced right

These were just a few brief comments,.so you understand that even on a Cisco,it has significance what powercable you choose.
As usual,.Everything Matters.

So you see NigelB,.the “fun” never ends :wink:.

/Peder🙂

There is Uptone Etheregen review in Audio Science Review (4 Dec 2019). Listening tests are what they are based on really many DAC reviews. I would like to hear listening results, anyone? EDIT: looks like DB is testing, waiting for results…

1 Like

Did you have to pay customs duty at the UK end?

@Peder, I have chosen to discard the power cable that came with the 2960PD and have stuck a chunky Supra LoRad power lead on it. This too is something to look at as the 2960 may not work well with the LoRad.

So today if SQ is not right I will fist swap over the Cinnamon with a Vodka so I have a Vodka between the two 2960’s. If that doesn’t sort the SQ out then I will experiment with power leads on the second 2960PD. (IIRC, I have a standard Naim power lead on the first non PD 2960 and it obviously works well on that).

I have also found power cables have an effect. The Powerline vs. stock brings greater detail, dynamics and control but the PowerBlack from CHFC makes an even greater difference, adding soundstage depth and presence as well as bass extension and treble texture and articulacy. I’ve only tried those 3.

For an innocent bystander this thread is wonderful to watch…Must print it off and frame it for posterity.

5 Likes

That’s a nice option…

Anyone know if you can get the Cisco to do that from the console?

Yes Gazza, just let us lot go through the agony (some call it fun) and you swoop in at the end when it is all sorted out!

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thats pretty much where i am at the moment…don,t forget to put some sorbothane feet on those Cisco’s . Time to play “amused to death by Mr Waters.

1 Like

I have found self-adhesive translucent Wilco door stops to be very effective under the Cisco’s’ which give more clarity than the black or white ones…

5 Likes

I am also thinking of buying an ER and I have been in contact with UpTone. They said put the ER between the Melco and ND555. An option could be to have both internet “in” and the Melco on the A side. The B to the ND555. They also said that on the A side a shielded metal shells could impact the sound negatively .

1 Like

I have mine standing on its end but with a slight tilt of 4 degrees, it’s isolated with wine corks which after extensive experimenting I found to be the best, went through various vineyards but finally went for a small Malbec producer in Mendoza

8 Likes

You might want to experiment with the offset tilt angle. Earths magnetic pole position & magnetic field strength are constantly changing with time & alignment variables relative to location. Over N.Europe declination varies by over 8 degrees so maybe the switch/cork interface angular offset needs to be adjusted accordingly.

4 Likes

Yeh I have done Mike, I found 4 to be the best compromise particularly at this time of year

If I had 4 bottles of wine my declination would vary by a lot more than 8 degrees, but I digress.

2 Likes

DB, have you compared the sound of music stored on the Melco all connected as above with the same played with the network disconnected? That would remove any influence from thee network and allow you to choose the best cable between Melco and ND555, which would provide a reference sound against all variations of the network when connected.

After all, unless the network is superimposing a sound effect that is liked, the network cables and switches before Melco are only correcting the effect of the network.

I confirm that!

2 Likes

Thanks Bluesfan.

A little are tolerance (from both sides) would not go amiss here.

4 Likes

No - got mine via a UK reseller so an all-in cost. I’d considered it a while and was one of those items that I took a punt on trying without audition as - I couldn’t unfortunately, but the reviews from multiple users had a common positive theme.

In fact the day I ordered one was spooky the day I unexpectedly received the Melco switch to try too - this is three times the price of the ER so I’d want to try that definitely before considering it. The Melco switch is a nice reassuringly ‘quiet’ switch - very calm and neutral effect on replay.

I’m finding the ER is also very good but in a different way with a lot of its own character of so far a very positive kind. As with a lot of these things, what the Designer expected it to achieve is in addition to what it actually achieves.

I’m pointing the ‘B’ side port at the Melco-ND555 chain with rather good results and don’t think I’d want it in-between before the Melco direct at the ND555 from present results. The Melco Server has its own character I auditioned an like that I want to preserve in my system.

I found the Ethernet feeding it made too much difference with the Cisco 2960 then dual Cisco switches so a well-considered ‘HiFi switch’ was what I wanted to try to see what the ND555 and Melco could do - so far my results are very encouraging from either ER or Melco switch, but they seem to have different signatures.

DB.

2 Likes