Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I only use the ethernet over mains for transferring files from one place to another. While the music is being played the connection is from the server PC to a Cisco switch, and from that to the NDX. So that is true Ethernet. I could turn off the ethernet over mains (and will try that this evening, probably).

Hi Simon,

This is Oeschinensee, just above Kandersteg :smiley:

I hope you’re enjoying your stay in Switzerland.

Kandersteg is my ice-climbing playground.

I january, I usually spend my weekends climbing on the Oeschinenwald’s ice falls.

Unfortunately it is not an usual January…

Me leading the first pitch of the “Ratten Pissoir” (Kandersteg, Oeschinenwald) three years ago.

Kandersteg is really a very nice little swiss village. The perfect place in winter to go for a walk, skiing, tobogganing and of cours ice climbing

This takes us quite far from the HiFi and cabling craze. Not so bad I suppose :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a very long Ethernet cable you’re trailing behind you (to keep this on topic!). :rofl:

7 Likes

This is not one but two strands of rope. It’s a 60 meters double-rope.
That makes a very very long Ethernet cable (120m), out of specs!
For such a cable we need some very special switchs :rofl:

1 Like

Congratulations caller, it is indeed :grinning:

And am back in England now… yes always enjoy staying with my brothers.
Yes Kandersteg caters for most… just a little tame for my nephew who is a keen snow boarder… fantastic for an afternoon’s walking… although we take the cable car up…

1 Like

It was a water cooled i7 processing pc with damped drives and a Hdpelx external linear power supply, highspec shielded wires. A second low power i5 controlled playback with a SOtM tX-USBexp USB out with its own external linear power supply. Out to a Sonore USBexD DAC. It used Jplay it was a bit tricky to setup but worked a treat.

Yes, for many ‘boutique’, ‘fashion’, ‘high end’ and ‘luxury goods’ etc. are positively valued terms.

Not for me.

@Darkebear I found the SFP out on the Cisco switches to not be as good as my ‘boutique’ ‘audiophile’ FMC’s from Sonore (the opticalModule). So that may be something worth investigating, going oM to eR.

BTW: the parlance is to refer to the ‘module’ one inserts into the SFP cage as a transceiver. Since there is the branded opticalModule, it could cause some confusion.

My wife’s favourite boutique’s are in Rodeo Drive.

1 Like

If you have a Lear jet it must be a nice ride from your private airstrip in Oxfordshire.

I don’t use the word boutique to be insulting I use it so I don’t have to type out a list of cables/brands, in other words, for economy of language.

2 Likes

Yes, I got rid of it, and was glad I did.

Exactly. It’s a great descriptor and differentiator - ‘cottage’ might be confusing to somebody not from the UK or not knowledgeable with that term; ‘audiophile’ - well some of us have proven that some basic Cat 6a (BJC in my case) can be quite effective ‘audiophile’ cables. Boutique also implies something that is most likely bought from a narrow scope luxury dealer (and how much more manly and drug like that term is than boutique - sexist much?). I think it’s unfortunate that some us it as a pejorative - reclaim ‘boutique!’

2 Likes

All I did was say “that boutique cable was good enough for Jehovah”…:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ooops,

I thought you were referring to me for a moment !

Yes it is a nice ride, but time in the air for so many hours in a small cabin can be tiresome so we frequently stop-over for some days at our Caribbean pad…

2 Likes

While I understand the desirability of a ‘non mains ‘ solution, I nevertheless have no practical alternative at present. The hi-fi is on a dedicated switch (single and cheapo as yet) with connection to the router via a TPlink mains connection. No doubt it would be better without this drawback, but it still sounds mighty fine, with no obvious ‘noise’.
I am currently re-ripping my collection using the new Melco ripper and the improvement is clear to hear (although I have been pilloried in another part of the forest for suggesting this is possible) so I don’t think that anyone should lose heart if the mains solution is unavoidable.

2 Likes

@charlesphoto how are you powering your Sonore OpticalModule? I have mine on a 5v rail of a HDPLEX 200W that also powers my Roon NUC. I changed the Sonore TPlink SFPs for Cisco ones which worked better with the Cisco switch. I’ve sinced moved the OpticaModule to the NUC then out to a Melco S100. The S100 second port is fibre linked to the Cisco.

I believe you as I own one as well and have found the same, though re-ripping will wait for retirement and my top 100 CDs.
Listen to everyones recomendations but only trust your own ears!

Thanks for that Peter, but as to restricting oneself to 100 CDs, impossible! I am at about 2000 now, with 250 or so to go. Once the difference sinks in, it can’t be ignored. As ambassador Joe Kennedy put it to his kids (in a different context!), once you’ve got an itch, you have to scratch it. They didn’t hesitate.