Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Mike , after the Zoo and the coffee, you can buy the cisco 2960 switch.
Well hidden, your wife will not notice it but your ears very very probably. :wink:

1 Like

Fair point

But those data specifications are pretty much the same as any off the shelf basic consumer switch at PC World might have - essentially those are the specifications that a regular gigabit switch supports.

For our uses I see no support for IGMP Snooping and which IGMP version is supported which is far more relevant for good performance with handling multicast groups.

I suspect it simply blindly broadcasts all groups out to all ports - which is bad for Ethernet data processing noise isolation.

I really think of lot of these devices aimed at audiophiles are made to look rather bling like - but not really that effective for the jobs they are expected to do over and above a basic switch.

1 Like

You are probably right Simon. I donā€™t know. I have seen only one review on it for nowā€¦ The aqvox se, which costs 800 euros, have some contradictory reviews also. Some say itā€™s the best they have heard, other , like stereophile, found a minimal improvement.

Aqvox se switch specs

1000 Mbit/s - 1 Gigabit, up to 2000 Mbit/s - 2 Gigabit in full duplex mode
Galvanic isolation with signal transformers 1500 V withstanding voltage
Interference Suppression and Optimization
Jitter Reduction, ReClocker, Signal Shaper, De-Noiser.
Shielding Metal Case
Status LEDs for Speed, Active and Lock
Power-saving operation
Modified/optimized original external power supply** worldwide 100-240 V AC input, europlug - UK or US adaptor included - DC cable 120cm
The Phase of the power-supply is marked with the AQVOX logo at one side
Improves video and sound reproduction (all video and audio formats, all resolutions)
Dimensions W x D x H: 16.2 x 10.5 x 3.1 cm (2.7 cm without feet)
Weight: 0.7 kg

1 Like

I would say the Uptone switch will be a different creature from the other audiophile switches if the other devices that John Swenson has engineered are anything to go by (all very very good with no absurd claims). And both he and the owner of Uptone have had Cisco 2960 switches in house to compare and breakdown (and both admit the Cisco 2960 was the best switch theyā€™d heard before designing theirs). That said, I have no interest in it as Iā€™ve gone to fiber optical ā€˜bridgesā€™ for both systems. It would be fun to compare though.

Iā€™m using a Cisco 2960L-16PS as the main house switch - itā€™s 1gb and very good sounding and the largest fanless Catalyst one can get. And in the office, Iā€™ve set up an optical bridge to the UQ using the SFP out on that main switch to the SFP in an older 2960-8TC 10/100 switch. Works a treat and much better than the consumer FMCā€™s with their noisy power supplies. Still not as good as a pair of Sonore opticalModules though, but much cheaper - used Cisco SFPā€™s are about $5, the older switch $30 and the newer 16 port one $150, used.

2 Likes

I had the bad luck to listen to this switch this afternoon. Unfortunately I realized I need to further upgrade when funds become available.
I was amazed that it even outclassed the already good seperation of the Melco.
The test setup was as followsā€¦

• Melco
  • Ansuz Switch
  • Chord Music between the ND555 and the Melco or the switch.

The setup with the switch was to have it connected to the Melco and have the ND555 directly connected to the switch as well.
What happened. Better transcend between notes, more 3D, cleaner sound. No positive or negative effect on tonality of the music. I had hoped to not hear the significance and realized that now listening through Tidal will even further close in on listening through the Melco as a lot of the other things are goneā€¦
I also took a Chord Music cable home to test it against my Audioquest Vodka. So letā€™s see what happens in the next days. I will of course write about it as good as I can.

6 Likes

hopefully Bert proved the contraryā€¦just after your post. But i know Tiberio, you donā€™t believeā€¦

I think everybody serious about getting the best quality for streaming is obliged to listen to this device themselves.

i believe you Bert, unfortunately. However i am not prepared financially to upgrade today in a 2k switch and 8k ethernet cables. Itā€™s the price of the upgrade to an nd555. Or a melco n10ā€¦
Step by step for meā€¦

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@BertBird,ā€¦Very interesting,.but you used the Chord Music-cable too,so then the difference is even bigger.

It will be interesting to take note of your impressions at home of Chord Music vs Audioquest Vodka.
I have an Audioquest Diamond and three Vodka,.but Iā€™m not saying anything about what I possibly think,before you have reported your impressions.

ā€¢ BertBird,ā€¦Another question,.when I look at the picture you added in,see belowā€¦

That several ehternet cables are plugged in with a gap between.

I do the same thing,.see picture of my Ciscoā€¦

The reason I connect the wires with a gap,.is that I think it sounds a bit better.

Do you think it is something that your trader also thinks,.when he has plugged his cables in the same way,with a gap.?

/PederšŸ™‚

i feel that Anzus switch is probably better than cisco 2960, because the sound with my nds to cisco or nds to melco is the same. In your case, nd555 to Anzus sounds better than nd555 to the melco.

I canā€™t tell why he did it like this. But I guess seperation gives a better soundā€¦

1 Like

You also have to realize they put in some of the magic they also included in their power distribution units. So itā€™s not a mere switch.

2 Likes

Just experimenting a bit left and right with plugging the n and out the Chord Music cable. The Chord Music is in the high regions more pleasant, the Vodka tends to be hard there. The best comparison is for me a voice of for instance Jessye Norman on Four Last Songs, where you donā€™t want to have it too loud with the Vodka, where the Chord Music still mentions. Also impression that the timing is slightly better. Notes end more precise.

By the way, I am interested to know why you went the diamond way as you apparently also now the Chord Music, interested in your viewpoint.

Can anyone give me references and goodness of the C1AE category 7 (broadband 600mhz) melco ethernet cable? They look great to me, maybe even a bit better than the one in qed category 6 construction.

Iā€™m using BJC cat6 from the modem to router and router to the switch but still using Cinnamon cables b/w the QNAP and switch and SU and switch.

I noticed significant improvement when I switched to the BJC cables from standard ethernet cables and Iā€™m curious if there are gains to be had ditching the Cinnamon cables.

Is anyone going all BJC cables at the streamer and NAS?

Just as well I havenā€™t got the Cisco, as it has to be the Anzus now I see. Which is exactly the reason my dealer said, stick with what you have.

1 Like

Do you need a test report if you have lugholes?

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll give it a go. Iā€™ve wondered if the metal connectors on the Cinnamons were weak points in the connection.