Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Some of us just like to cascade Cisco switches. Some people go fishing. I cascade Cisco switches.

3 Likes

Sure, but nevertheless there is certainly a technical reason why people do this.

The audio switch isolates the streamer from the rest of the network. Adding a second switch could (re) introduce noise.

Sorry it was a private joke. :sweat_smile:
In reality I didn’t read the number well this afternoon …
But I have a lot of questions here to ask on this thread, so we will quickly get there with 7000 messages :joy:

1 Like

There must be a technical reason yes, but some of us are happy with taking whatever Placebo can give us, since it is hard to find explanations two people agree on, and it might very well just be in our heads. This thread has 6500 replies and something like 500 were deleted, so many have tried to find explanations and/or share their experiences. Many of us are confused but amused.
I simply tried two Ciscos and in my head/to my ears it made a positive difference. Then I tried three, and again in my head it made a positive difference. Then I swapped them all out with PoE switches and I found that to be even more enjoyable. After all this I simply now sit back and enjoy my cascading PoE Cisco switches.

2 Likes

Are you sure having read all this thread Naim35?

1 Like

I just bought an Uptone Etheregen and Farad 3 lps. And an ex demo Melco n1zh2. Life is short .
I will report when the ER and linear ps will arrive. It will be another comparing vs cascade Ciscos I have, and vs cascade Cisco with ER at the end.
Maybe we will reach the 7000 posts .:fairy:‍♂:running_woman:🧎:man_dancing:but :mask:

4 Likes

I look forward to reading how you find the ER with Farad vs. stock PSU.

2 Likes

On audiophile style, the reviewer found the differences between the Farad and Paul Hynes sr4 minimal.
And the lps on ER clearly better than ER alone.
The Paul Hynes is too risky however to buy.
I will report of course. If not satisfied, I can return

Ah! Silly me, I always thought they did the opposite. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

We are well past 7000 posts made, as I indicated, but only 6508 remaining.

Yes, I read before your post. I am aware of that.

z

? Error typo or a special meaning of « z »?

In the very (very) main lines we will say…

1 Like

Also, I would say…

I noticed like you that the switch was very sensitive to the support on which it is placed. Between two places or supports the difference is really not negligible!
In my case I was forced to put a support decoupled from the rest of the furniture.
And there, wow! It works very well musically!

But hey, that you have certainly noticed during all the tests … :roll_eyes:

Yes, I understand, it’s very long and not easy to catch the principal informations.
I said that to you because you wrote that a second switch should introduce more noise.
However, based on people experiences here , and mine too, 99% of users of cascade switches found an uplift in sound quality vs only one switch.
It’s perhaps the most interesting discovery in that thread. @Darkebear is at the beginning of that discovery.
Cheap Ethernet cables vs expensive ones divide people. So no consensus.
User of Etheregen found it , in general, to be it better vs the Cisco. But some found no benefit for the ER and 1 or 2 users prefer still the Cisco.
Linear ps on switches gave an uplift, be it for Cisco or other switches.

Well, since I have been forced to stay at home because outside :biohazard: :mask:, I have had time to ask myself a lot of questions about improving SQ.

Besides, this is a question that we are exploring here in FR on a nearby Naim forum (switch cascades, various switches like here, RJ …).
The results obtained and test reports are more or less the same across the Channel …

Strange coincidences or established facts? But it is a remarkable fact.

Some irony in your post? Or I didn’t catched it…

Thank you FR, to what I read here, and as usual, you know very well summarize things :+1:
It helps a lot (in reading) long threads … :sourire:

1 Like

No irony at all. why do you say that ?

1 Like