Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Exactly… they are not by design hence my point. Coupled noise via Ethernet leads, usb leads, Audio interconnects, automation leads and mains leads will still potentially affect audio though.

When it comes to data processing the effects are not going to be that dissimilar to flac vs WAV processing. If you hear no difference here, you are unlikely in my opinion to hear much with unnecessary data processing. If you do hear a change, I would focus on ensuring uneccessary data processing, Some of this is rather technically involved, but a switch that correctly supports IGMP snooping is a good start… especially in a largish consumer network. The Cisco catalysts support IGMP snooping by default.

1 Like

I recently changed from AQ Cinnamon to BJC 6a on all 3 connections and am very pleased with the results. Made a small profit selling on the AQ too!

G

2 Likes

But sorry, instead of criticizing and not believing, do a test … Not even that 'do not use cotton fiok for decades you will see that something different you feel it, of course they are nuances … Music that is, do not change the musical notes but the 'listening atmosphere :ear:

1 Like

But binary data is coded in actual waves of electricity that are not binary!

The data packets are transmitted using a digitally modulated analogue voltage signal & this can be affected by inductance, impedance, capacitance & resultant time variances. This is one of the theories of why a cable might sound different.

100% agree on that, they do have a ‘bling’ factor that is maybe used to ‘big up’ the value perception.
They are very well made & robust it has to be said, but not so good for best performance. I’m concerned with the PCB inside the brand that AQ use. It connects the twisted pairs to the plug pins & means the twisted pair geometry is not carried right up to the plug pins, it risks increase in NEXT
Getting back to your BJC (& my Meicord) Fluke verification test, I wonder if AQ & other patch cables conform to whatever category they advertise.

1 Like

Reading the post before and have the feeling some posters before are just looking at the dimension of what they belief to be true. I just refer as always to my ears, and they decide if things work or not.
That’s also why I took the Chord Music cable home to avoid this I belief I want to hear an improvement and test it over and over again. On this level of performance and costs it’s needed.

The Ansuz switch yesterday was also a significant enough improvement to seriously consider an investment. Are other switches bringing the same benefit, not sure as I didn’t have other options to compare.

2 Likes

Hi, for any device to be Ethernet compliant it must have galvanic isolation to at least 1500 VDC.
Big chunky metal connectors are more a bling honey trap… not necessary for our uses.

1 Like

Indeed, however in the limit the specifications are there so the most demanding installation for that cable type can be supported.
There is no real harm in deviating from the specs if you are open about it (not sure whether boutique cable vendors are) and the use case is less demanding and you test and confirm the installation is valid.

However in such an example I would always test the cable is satisfactory… quality switches like the Cisco 2960 can be instructed to test the connected cables on specific ports such that it meets the requirements the installation puts on it.

But for many without the tech know how I can see it’s simply easier to buy Ethernet conformant cables and terminating equipment. I also suspect it’s the less technically aware customer that is more likely to buy the audiophile type ‘network’ products.

For those that really are interested in EMC in cables and connectors beyond the audiophile bling… these guide is useful. It also addresses cable routing and dressing in equipment and outside. Note this is NOT specific to audio, or networks… it’s the generalised case… and explains why RF can affect cabling and connected equipment. (You might recognize some aspects of Naim product design and layout for EMC decoupling )

Where are you buying these cables? Looking at their website suggests they are shipped tomorrow the US and I was wondering if that was right.

:small_blue_diamond:@BertBird,…I couldn’t say it better myself…100% agree :+1:.

It is so much TiberioMagadino has written today,.which according to us is wrong,and completely goes against my and our knowledge and experience here in Sweden in our group.

But I do not know if I have the strength to sort out all his claims,.perhaps later.

:small_orange_diamond:But one important difference,.I/we Do Not Think.
We Have Tested,.and shared the results of our experience.
This is a very important difference.

As well,.to dismiss parts of a product’s design without knowing,is,.in my opinion very,very odd.

Audioquest or Chord has probably a liiiiittle more experience and knowledge with hifi and ethernet-cables than TiberioMagadino has…Or how :wink::grin:.

But I will come back and respond to some of TiberioMagadino’s assertions.
But it’s such a beautiful autumn-day here in northern Sweden,.so I’ll be out for a few hours.
See below :stuck_out_tongue:

/Peder🙂

3 Likes

That’s correct HH. Very fast service.

G

1 Like

Yup mine were posted from the US.
They spring that on you and the 15 squid delivery costs at the end of the buying process.

1 Like

Where did you listen to Chord and aq cables?
At home or not?
What comparisons did you perform?
Which model cables were they?

E.g. Did you put BJC in at home from switch to streamer and then same length Chord Music and compare?

Thanks Graeme. I’ve no idea where the word ‘tomorrow’ came from: it was supposed to be ‘from’. Next day delivery from the US would be quite something!

1 Like

Thanks TM, I’ll plead guilty to a tiny bit of mischief when I posed the question, I have read the report & others.

1 Like

some here, like @anon35986639 or @Stephen_Tate have the cisco 2960 now and are happy to have added them to the nd5xs2. And their system are less resolving than yours.

2 Likes

One of the best upgrades I have made this year is purchasing a Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable from my switch to streamer. I had it on loan, needless to say I have not returned it. My network cable search is over. I shall be replacing my other two Cinnamon cables in time but that’s it. Back to the music…

Also I was using a Netgear GS105 switch with which I found boring. Replaced it with the Cisco 2960 and this livened things up. A combination of upgrading my Ethernet cables and switch ( on the back of many recommendations here) has brought a very appreciable uplift to my streaming experience.

5 Likes

Given the relatively small amount of data in an audio stream, is it not acceptable to have a cable specifically designed for audio use that doesn’t conform to Cat n standards? Quite what design criteria it does need to fulfil (especially to justify the high prices often charged) is another matter, but high data rates over long distances are presumably not relevant.

1 Like

An Advantage As OP…

Above from the North Harbour.

:small_blue_diamond:@TiberioMagadino,…Thanks :smiley:.

I take the liberty as the OP to put in three pictures from my long bike-tour this afternoon.

Many of you will probably never visit the north of Sweden,.so I thought that some pictures can not hurt.

A canal through the city,.watch as dark the water is.

On the way home,.a moose down in the water.

The cards were taken with my mobile,.so excuse me for the picture-quality.
Now back to switches and cables :grin::joy::grin:.

/Peder🙂

13 Likes