EtherRegen vs EE?

Do we have consensus yet? :slight_smile:
And then there’s the Ansuz switch for 10x the price…
and the Cisco for 1/10th price…

3 Likes

Excellent topic.

Trouble is I am not sure how many have actually carried out a direct comparison.

I hope I am proven wrong!

Certainly a topic I would like to hear thoughts on from those who have been able to run a direct comparison.

Peter

1 Like

To my knowledge no one on the forum has yet.

I definitely preferred the ER to the Melco switch, though.

Uptone designed the ER from scratch - and they are open about the design rationale e.g. how it works to lower the noise floor.

1 Like

That just about covers it.

1 Like

Ah - I didn’t see that.
Will have a look for it.
Did you get the EE?

I’m sure one of our resident tweekers will step up and take that challenge. :smiley:

Hi ElMarko

I have to say the ER in my system is a substantial upgrade from no switch, or from 2 or 3 Cisco 2960s (e.g. in PoE configuration).

I am yet to try running the signal through my 2 PoE 2960s then into the ER and 272, so will update on that soon.

But just running router - ER - 272 it already sounds great.

Jim

Hi Pat,

You seemed to initially find no effect with the ER but did with the EE, but you were going to do some more listening sessions with SWMBO …did that happen, any subjective thoughts?

M

I’ve been watching your testing and interested to hear what you find. I’m good where I am and won’t be doing anymore tweaking until I get another box or two. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Pat,

Yes, I was hoping you had been able to do back to back listening; but your original posts pointed at a clear ‘winner’ in your system.

Thx

1 Like

The Ciscos were a fun and good value tweak.

But the ER is not in my view a tweak.

It’s a really well designed and important audio component.

I’ll try taking it out in the next couple of days to confirm that.

But I would be amazed if my system doesn’t sound significantly worse without the ER.

3 Likes

Sounds good, I hope you build methods into your process to prevent confirmation bias so you get an honest evaluation.

Well for me the Cisco was marked improvement over my Netgear switch. But I’m not sure I want to spend more just yet.

2 Likes

Humm - could try a blind test…?

IIRC MichaelB did a blind test or two.

1 Like

Yes. On obliging family guinea pigs…

Yeah, but it did nothing for my system.

1 Like

Is that your system 1: ND555/2x555DR/552/500 into Kudos Titans 606s?

Did it literally make no audible difference?

Or it did make a difference, but it was not better?

Perhaps someone will do the test, but not me. I am very satisfied with my Etheregen and don’t need to look elsewhere for now.
The EE should be at the same level, but probably inferior I feel. But may be wrong. ( impressions front what I read in different threads).
If a better switch than the Etheregen will be produced one day, I will probably try it.
But don’t think the EE will be that one. However I may be wrong of course.

1 Like