European Championships 2020 /21

So far I haven’t managed to watch the England games live, only the later loved up highlights.
Although I have Wednesday night off to watch the semi.
Wondering whether to just go out on a long walk as I’m worried I might jinx it !

Interesting to see the English players celebrations after their 4-0 victory such a contrast to the celebrations after their victory against Germany. I suppose psychology or state of mind plays a part in Football…

What was different, didn’t see it, only the scores.

Shut it… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:grin:

Right up until it’s rammed down their throats the football supporters of this country will still be moaning, as Harry Kane mounts the stairs to collect the European Trophy they’ll be going I bet he picks it up wrong.

We have two huge games ahead of us in our last two meetings with the Danes we’ve lost one, drawn one they are a bigger challenge than both the Germans and the Ukrainians but we have the strength in depth to beat them if we do we will face either Spain or Italy a bigger challenge again but they are beatable.

I moaned like everyone else at Southgate’s negative tactics in the early matches but he’s got it right so far used his squad perfectly and preserved all his major players.
Won 4, Drawn 1, scored 8 conceded 0 no team has ever played 5 European Championship matches without conceding a single goal.

1 Like

This young lady should be on the front pages tomorrow, but unlikely now:

3 Likes

A terrific performance by England this evening. 4-0 didn’t flatter us. Mind you, if the Italian squad were watching the game I suspect they would have been saying to one another ‘if we meet them in the final, we certainly won’t be giving the England players that amount of room in our box!’. (The Ukraine marking for all of England’s goals was awful.)

3 Likes

Only a churl would point out that Ukraine were awful.

Ukraine were awful.

Nothing will persuade me this England team are exciting or brilliant but they are effective, well organised and ultimately doing the business.

Southgate having a blinder over the last few years at getting the squad to play his way and appear so united.

Bruce

England made an admittedly tired Ukrainian look awful by dominating possession.

There are two ways to play football you either play your way no matter what or against who like the dominant Spanish team of a few years ago or you tailor your team and your tactics to suit your opponents like Gareth Southgate’s England and let’s be fair a World Cup and a Euros Semi-Final in the space of three years is proving him right.

Let me tell you Bruce as an Englishman of 51 last night was pretty damn exciting as was the final half hour of the Germany game. So Gareth has his toughest test yet in these Euros to come and I’ll take a workman like win over a hell for leather loss on penalties any day.

4 Likes

I’m old enough to remember 66 and we finally have a manager who, like Ramsey, knows his own mind and doesn’t waste time listening to advice from the media.
Well done Gareth Southgate, well played England!

5 Likes

It was a much better performance against Ukraine than it was against Germany, they looked more relaxed…and a team that was more suited to attack, that was good to see. And Kane finally getting back to his old sharp self.

For me, there still looks to be a fundamental problem between the four defenders and the midfield, particularly the two holders, Rice and Philips. Generally that Rice and Philips seem to struggle to make themselves available when England have the ball and seek to progress, which means there is a big gap between the defence and the more advanced midfielders. Against a team like Italy, England will be completely dominated as we struggle to get a progressive game going.

I would replace Rice with Hendo who has more experience, is a leader and is able to fetch the ball and distribute it better than Rice. Although Philips had an excellent game against Croatia, he seems to have lost his way a bit in midfield, chasing shadows somewhat, against team like Italy, he will be completely lost…on current showing.

And finally the set pieces are becoming effective again.

Anyway, good results so far England.

2 Likes

The players celebration after winning 4-0 was a lot more restrained, nearly like they won a friendly match on a lazy Sunday afternoon. However the celebrations of the players after the win against Germany at Wembley was like they have literally been given a lifeline by God, the relief and joy on their faces was infectious and palpable, with the home fans joining in at Wembley culminated to a crescendo of joy…

1 Like

The England players having some well deserved R&R ahead of Wednesday…

…and enjoying the grooves from a Naim Mu-So QB by the pool :relaxed::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Lets hope they are using the Mu-So QB IP65 Special Edition. :scream_cat:

I agree with this and its demonstrated that when Mcguire brings the ball out his main option is to pass left to Shaw, and there are insufficient options to pass forwards into the middle of the pitch to a midfield player.
I would swap Phillips for Henderson though in the Denmark game.
As a Man Utd supporter very pleased to see Shaw perform superbly and Mcguire has started to direct his headers on target.
Well played England and well played Southgate

I put on The Cricket thread that I saw the whole England Cricket team is in isolation due to positive tests. They have had to pick an entirely new squad for the imminent ODIs.
The implications for the Football squad is scary. They almost need to keep everybody completely separate. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Isn’t ‘collywobbles’ precisely the right term for that feeling?

13 Likes

Don’t cough - they all might fall! Didn’t they have mums learning them to walk?

Anyhow, I’ll be supporting Italy tonight.

brilliant, it is going to take a strong ref to keep control tonight.

2 Likes