European Equipment Availability

Does anybody know if equipment distribution in Europe is happening? I am in Hungary and looking for a Muso Qbe II but cannot find any anywhere?

Cheers

Roddy

Also consider that all mu-sos start their life in China, with a 6 week allowance for shipping times to the UK … pre COVID that is. I forget where the EU distribution location is. So that adds extra opportunity for logistical break down.

QBs are out of stock in John Lewis UK too, and not available for online purchase from Richer Sounds. That suggests to me either parts or shipping or both.

Goods are definitely moving around, I had something arrive from the Netherlands to the UK in just over a week.

Robert, Do you know if the items are shipped from China direct to the EU. I did wonder whether it would fall foul of the Country of Origin business that has been discussed regarding the new UK/EU trading arrangements if it were distributed via the UK.

I don’t think country of origin rules in the UK/EU agreement apply here as the item is and always was totally made in China.

David,

Is it imported directly to the EU from China?

Cheers

Roddy

I can’t remember if everything comes to Bristol first and then onward routed.

I don’t know, but it’s nothing to do with rules of origin in any case.

David,

So there would be no duties when importing from the UK to the EU?

That is good to know.

Cheers

I didn’t say that! The rules of origin are about whether something can be regarded as made in the UK when some parts of it were not made in the UK. For example a car made in UK will almost certainly have components made in multiple countries. So a muso made wholly in China is still a muso made wholly in China.

I don’t think the export from UK to EU would attract duty, but the overall duty and tax payable by Naim might vary between directly importing into the EU and importing into the UK and then exporting to the EU. But I don’t know.

You mean on stock? At my dealer in Germany, they nearly always had to order even Mu-sos, and that’s even in normal times. Though usually it just takes a few days from the German distributor. Current delivery times for UK were posted here just recently:

Previously there would have been no duty when selling from UK within the EU. Now since it is not manufactured substantially (at all in this case) in the UK if it is imported into the UK and then to the EU it will now attract tarrifs upon entry to the EU.

That is what I was talking about.

No i mean the dealer cannot order them from his distrubutor. I dont expect things to be on stock. Maybe just a Hungary problem.

I see. Cannot even order at all?

Yes I now see that there are two tariffs that apply if the goods are sourced from China, one into the UK and one from the UK into the EU. I didn’t know that. These must be the sunny uplands that some people looked forward to.

Best

David

Perhaps Naim need a distribution centre on the mainland, somewhere Focal.

No doubt that is what they will do…

Best

David

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have it already.
They would likely have prepared for any outcome, including no deal.

To confirm, Naim is fully sorted on all things Brexit - In the first couple of weeks, we saw a few deliveries delayed for a very short period as paperwork requests were increased on our haulier partners, but that was soon overcome.

So, no issues with European supply - or indeed supply anywhere, other than some stock shortages caused by demand outstripping product availability. @Roddy.Elder this does include Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation being out of stock in a few areas, but more is on its way!

3 Likes

Clare,

This is good to hear. I have been asking since before Christmas and no stock so far. I will ask again.

How long do you think I may expect for Hungary?

Cheers

Roddy

Again, that’s one best answered by your local dealer - their rep will know ETA on specific shipments.