European Super League

Rumours, and they are just rumours, are circulating that the ‘ringleaders’ in the UK were Man U and Liverpool. They successfully courted Arsenal and Spurs, after the Spanish and Italian teams, along the lines of “join us (and Man City and Chelsea) and everyone will have to take notice, don’t risk missing out now…”

They’ve then sold the package to Man City and Chelsea owners as a done deal, though it seems with a couple of ‘flaws in their communications’ which could see the latter two duck out as the ESL concept was somehow misrepresented to them. Though again I can’t see how that fits as both teams, with the other gang of four, have left the ECA.

Still think it won’t happen. A lot of the players won’t play for one. Imagine if you’re French, German or from any other nation not involved in the ESL. You’re probably not going to put your playing career at risk for this, no matter what the bucks offered. I bet the lawyers will be able to see them out of any contracts too.

Found this quote online. Thought it was interesting.

“We don’t want too many Leicester Citys”, a quote from an anonymous executive at a ‘big six’ side told the Independent last year, and it’s a line that has been etched on to the minds of the club’s supporters ever since.

According to this executive, “a more democratic league would be bad for business”. Note the word business, and not the word football

2 Likes

Poor old Chelsea and Man City, the big boys did it and ran away they tricked us by saying we would get a few billion without any blowback.

This is a great opportunity for all the fair weather fans who came on board during the early Wenger years who subsequently didn’t get the success they thought they would to bail out perhaps the retreating Chelsea and Man City teams can mop them up.

Perhaps it’s best we leave football rivalry aside on this thread and keep it on topic?

2 Likes

Removal noted @Richard.Dane. No problem. I think it’s the case though that the whole thread is “politics”. I just made the mistake of using the word.

Chelsea apparently drawing up documents right now to abandon ESL.

Come on Chelsea, you know it makes sense!

2 Likes

Credit to the Chelsea fan reportedly outside the ground this evening with a T-shirt saying ‘We want our cold night in Stoke’. That’s a fan who understands what the game is really all about.

6 Likes

BBC website now reporting that Chelsea are backing out :clap:

2 Likes

Man City now too.

Chelsea saves Football! Yay.

1 Like

I can’t see anyway that players can be restrained from pursuing their trade - but clubs are a different issue.

Elsewhere I see the Chairman of Real Madrid is saying that maybe 90 minutes is too long for younger fans …

1 Like

The power of football fans…

I was watching an interview with Wenger and he said he’d studied viewing trends and fewer people are watching 90 minutes. More and more younger fans are switching between their phones and watching bites of action.

If my kids and their friends are anything to go by, this seems to hold true. They can’t even watch a film without picking up their phones!

Good on Chelsea though. Possibly a factor is Abramovich in the stands regularly enjoying the game?

It’s also who they won’t be playing, imagine Salford V Mean Utd in the FA cup , or Salford V Mean City in the FA cup

It will be a bit like the Scottish League (no offence meant) when you play the same time numerous times in a season

I would love to know what the fan reaction is in Spain and Italy. I have a heard Perez talk on a number of occasions, he comes over as delusional when he tries to justify his actions.

“Saving football”, he must think we are stupid.

2 Likes

But why would that not be the case? If you give me a choice between MOTD and the Sky Sports app video highlights on Sky Q then it’s the latter every time. Remove the choice.

They need to get this out before the game starts.

Chelsea players play with a swagger, they win, Champions League next year one step closer. All is well at The Bridge.

Ed Woodward has resigned! Tonight’s getting better and better!

6 Likes

Wenger also said that the business model needs to look at players wages in terms of a capping mechanism of a type.

And that is one of the big issues undermining a sensible business model.

4 Likes

Haha looks like they’re dropping like flies now :joy:

1 Like