Exposing the unaware to the hifi experience

Transformer hum.

2 Likes

In the case of speakers the answer is largely to do with physics! Of course, a solution could be in-wall speakers (of adequate design, which inevitably adds requirements to the wall, e.g internal volume and soundproofing from whatever it separates), and acoustically designed rooms - but that of couse wouldn’t be mainstream due to cost, though potentially much cheaper if mass-produced.

1 Like

We had that fashion earlier this century, when small one-box solutions were v popular. Some were very good, the one I had was. It wouldn’t hold a candle to the current system in my living room but as a neat small system it was pretty good. Do these things still exist?

That’s nice, you’ve met my wife and daughter and can think of little worse :rofl:

1 Like

Silly boy!! They are both an absolute delight.

1 Like

I recall that ‘Stereo’ was much more of a thing in the early 70’s an everyman hobby, a joyous thing. You only have to read a few threads on this forum to find that it is ‘us’ the serious practitioners of this hobby, that have made it a bit of a torment.

Perhaps those who ‘don’t seem interested’ are happy to just letting the music wash over them.

Having said that, my kids, now grown up, don’t seem to be able to listen to their spotify tracks for more than 20 seconds before flicking to the next, and don’t listen to the radio at all. I can’t quite explain that, because despite most current music being essentially produced for them they don’t seem to want to listen, irrespective of the hardware.

Qb? Muso?

I’m rather jealous of my wife and daughter who will happily listen to Spotify or MP3 stuff and be perfectly content with that.

Indeed. I was pondering more generically tbh, the sort of thing you might find in Richer Sounds or the dearer corner in Currys. Point taken tho.

The hifi is just furniture that makes a nice noise, at the end of the day. That’s what I tell them.

I have a friend, a fireman, who bought a three series system with Intros having heard my system.

I also have a small music group where we have a loose theme to choose a variety of tracks to play. Start with beer about 3pm. Curry with beer about 7pm. More music with red wine until late. We rotate venues between my Linn/Naim, friend with a Bose, and another with a garden cabin and Denon. Frankly while they like my system all three venues work just fine…

Good fun and usually followed by a hangover.

1 Like

Me too!

Good sound can come from discrete systems. For example a Chord Hugo and decent headphones.
Sonos is discrete and good enough for many. Or a Muso.

Very good :joy:

1 Like

If you know that they are happy listening to their ‘Transistor’ just leave them in peace!

This is the way I feel. Everybody is into their own thing. Some people are into antiques, some into travel, some collecting cars or whatever. We’re into a weird hobby too. I don’t expect anybody to get it. I don’t really care either. If they do, well then we have something in common. We can argue that cables don’t matter!

I’m forever telling Mrs AC that she’s watching something in SD and can’t fathom why she’s not watching the HD channel version.

I find it very strange as I’m very sensitiive to video quality, others I guess are more interested in the content.

Probably shows how little broadcast TV I actually watch these days - I’m rather surprised I haven’t edited the channel list on the TV but I really can’t be bothered.

Latter includes me. I forget there is HD on broadcast - but then only some channels, and some programs not available in HD so screan gives an error message -irritating, and leads to lack of bothering most of the time. A few programmes benefit, but only detailed imagery (e.g. nature programmes), not dramas/movies. With the projector 12ft wide screen) HD definitely. Blueray I am sure would be better, but at last projector purchase, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, cost was prohibitive - it’ll wait until the projector dies. If I have spare money I have always preferred to get the hifi as good as possible, not dilute with video, where if the content is worth watching I don’t notice the video quality unless something makes it deteriorate further).

1 Like

Always good to let people hear how good music can sound at home. I really enjoy sharing my passion, so I only let the ones in that will enjoy it with me. Saves all the fuss!

A friend of mine of a few years standing, with whom I’ve been to a few gigs, and a sometimes when he has been round we’ve enjoyed a selection of music played through my system as we’ve drunk and chatted, recently sent me a text asking what I thought of a music system he’d seen advertised. That is a question I’ve been asked over the years, and always makes me uncomfortable because when I’ve been asked that before it has generally been about someone’s own system, and the blunt answer “not much”, is scarcely what people want to hear. On this occasion it was a bit different, as I responded to him asking if he already had an amplifier because what was being sold appeared to be just a turntable and speakers. He really hadn’t a clue what is needed.