External Power Supply Compatibility

Hi,
I have a an old Nait 5 & I’m looking to upgrade with an external PSU, but I can’t find any information on which external power supplies are compatible. Because of its age, the Nait 5 manual only mentions a Flatcap 2; but I was wondering if any of the newer external PSUs are compatible?
Any help, would be much appreciated.

You can use the Hicap or even a Supercap too (both original and DR versions)

1 Like

The Nait 5 is a lovely thing. Any of the later flatcaps will work happily with it, but I’d be wary of a Hicap, which can unbalance things.

1 Like

You can use a Flatcap, Flatcap2, Flatcap 2x, Flatcap2xs, HICAP, HICAP DR, Supercap, or Supercap DR.

Using Supercap on the NAIT 5 probably doesn’t make a great deal of financial sense, but a Flatcap 2/2x/2xs or even HICAP is rather good, and not so expensive. Do note that you’ll need a SNAIC 4 along with the SNAIC 5 that comes with the PSU.

1 Like

Can you use a SuperCap DR with a SN2?

Would it sound the same as the hicap DR?

(Setting up an upgrade in future to the 252)

It would be great it Naim produced a ‘Compatibility/Interoperability Matrix’ illustrating which components will work with which other components.

Yes. It would be better.

2 Likes

The product page on the Naim website, and the relevant manual, tells you what PSU upgrades can be used.

Chris - sadly the Nait 5 is so old, that it doesn’t have a product page on the Naim site (not one I’ve found). My Nait 5 manual, similarly old, only mentions Flatcap 2.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.