Extinction Rebellion protesters

I can’t make my mind up if you are a comedian or deluded

Why not comment on the article instead of insulting me?

Sorry I maybe should have perhaps phrased it differently, I don’t believe a word that comes out of the mouth of that power hungry fool Boris also his article is from the torygraph, not exactly renowned for it’s independent journalism. That better, no offence intended.

Understood.

I would, however, argue that “independent journalism” is a myth. All publications, irrespective of political persuasion, have a political “stance” and one must obviously take that into account - so I don’t think that accusing the DT of a lack of independence is necessarily a valid criticism. You just don’t agree with their “stance” - which I get.

“Power hungry fool” is an apt description for many politicians (of all persuasions) that display “career aspirations” and it is not restricted to English politicians either. The whole point of that career choice has always been, for many of them, is climbing the greasy pole - so criticising Boris for his political ambition seems somewhat pointless and irrelevant. Criticism of his ideas and beliefs is, of course, a different matter.

I posted the DT article because BJ agrees with many of Extinction Rebellion’s ideas (and can point to a history of such alignment), but makes some strong points about the Chinese. I thought this may be of interest/relevance to the debate …

Excuse me if I don’t take the word of a political maverick published in a poor publication which seems to “argue”, and that’s being kind, that we do nothing because others don’t ?
It’s nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing, it just distracts from the points being made by the protest, which I suspect was the intention.

Have you read the article? If you have, then I would question your conclusion.

It is actually very supportive of ER’s protest, e.g.

It is precisely because I have seen the evidence, over time, that I cannot find it in my heart – no matter how smug, irritating and disruptive they may be – to condemn these protesters today.

Why you would question my conclusion, the article is nothing more than a diversion, suggesting that the protestors take their argument to China, crass politics by a crass politician, typical Johnson, big on pomp poor on content.

2 Likes

If the objective of the protesters is to raise this issue, get media attention and get the public talking about it then they have wholeheartedly succeeded, even if the methods deployed aren’t to everyone’s liking. However, I didn’t think it justified to try and picket Heathrow - you can’t “uninvent” the Jet and newer engines are a great deal more efficient than they used to be. Similarly, picking on Dame Emma isn’t really cricket, how else is she supposed to get to London for crissakes?
Personally, I would like to see ER target the embassies of the most destructive governments, such as China with its thirst for coal, the utility companies using fracking and the supermarkets whose fondness for plastic packaging is deplorable.

Not sure that targeting any specific country will resolve the issue much. Taking China as an example, its the demand for its exports that are the real issue. Will China’s importers fund the increase in costs (I.e. cost of products) for switching away from coal?

Governments are weak, I agree that organisations line ER and NGOs such as WWF should be supported in lobbying multi nationals. For example, how do you influence a polluting Chinese incorporated multi-national operating in Brazil?

Chinese people don’t enjoy free speech and any large scale protests are likely to be dealt with very harshly by the authorities with severe punishments for protesters. That’s why the rest of the free world should put pressure on China to change their ways. It’s also one of the reasons I avoid buying Chinese goods, including hifi products.

Any mention by Boris or DT of the worlds second largest polluter of carbon dioxide emissions, the US, that pulled out of the Paris climate change agreement? At least China is still a signatory.

Don’t get me started on solar panel… hideous thing and an eye sore… sustainable energy sources don’t have to be ugly or damaging to wildlife (ie wind turbines with careful positioning and at sea careful positioning of the undersea power lines )
New houses should have solar tiles… they are available, although currently more expensive … they look like roof tiles, they match the style of the house and they can be incorporated across the whole roof… at least they don’t make your house look like an out of town distribution warehouse. where solar panels would be far better suited.

I am glad it worked for you… did you look at solar tiles by the way… in some areas if you want solar it’s the only way to do it because of planning restrictions. If more people used them the price would come down, the visual amenity would go up, and there would be more renewable energy… though I appreciate it panels worked in your case.

With solar (and to some extent wind) of course we need power storage solutions, as well … and they are far less advanced… and I am not aware of any environmentally friendly solutions… so until that is cracked solar can be only part of a distributed mix of sources.

1 Like

I live in a coastal village in the north east of england. You can image what most people thought here when offshore wind turbines were erected spoiling the natural beauty of our coastline. Just because they are offshore doesn’t mean they are not visible or ugly or damaging to wildlife.

My understanding is our government in its infinite wisdom scrapped solar subsidies and we are still pursuing a nuclear powered agenda. I would like to see more tidal power, not as conspicuous as solar and wind power.

1 Like

I agree about solar panels. Our next door neighbour has them and they look dreadful. In my opinion Government should change building regs so that all new builds have solar tiles. If would add a few thousand to the house price but it’s far cheaper than a retrofit.

1 Like

Since I opened this topic, the focus has predictably shifted to a discussion on environmental issues, and what should be done to improve the outlook for the future.

To address your point though, you’re quite right, it’s difficult to see how Dame Emma could have made it back to London other than by air.

My opening post, however, was that, having done so, she is displaying more than a hint of double standards and hypocrisy, when, within a few hours, she elects to join the ER protests on the day that they were picketing at Heathrow.

2 Likes

I read somewhere, the Guardian I think, that China has a massive reforestation plan in action and photos from nasa can verify this so they are actively trying to do something about climate change. They also have the worlds largest Hydroelectric power station. They still have a long way to go as the smog in their cities clearly shows but they have to be able to supply enough power to their people. Many of their new buildings have roof space dedicated to plant life, even rice paddies, amazing really. That will surely stop heat from a flat concrete roof being reflected back into the atmosphere. In my town there is a lot of building work going on without, it appears, much thought about renewable energy and the impact these new builds will have environmentally. Concrete gives off greenhouse emissions in its chemical reaction during curing. All this glass and concrete I have always felt is a contributing factor to rising temperatures. I feel we should be looking at this in greater depth. Provision for plant life could easily be incorporated into building design.

1 Like

dave-marshall. As the expression goes - “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”, at least she got involved rather than be an armchair critic.

I suppose a similar parallel can be drawn with new homes. Everyone agrees we need more housing just as most people in this country believe we need more measures to control climate change (unless they’re Jeremy Clarkson), as long as it’s somewhere else.

I really don’t get this as an argument. Anyone want to stand up and say there’s absolutely no hypocrisy in any of their act yin’s ever? Is someone amongst us absolutely perfect in the way they life their life?

Thought not.

She has a spotlight and she chooses to use it for something positive. There are no negatives in that. The narrative Ethan we should attack celebrity for their hypocrisy is basically a neo-liberal;, conservative, status quo agenda pursued by a media who contribute absolutely nothing to the debate in terms if action; money or distribution of facts.

1 Like