Extract more punch and tightness from Rega vinyl setup

After a recent upgrade I started missing some things from my vinyl setup.

Currently I have NAC282/HiCapDR/SN2(as a power amp only) and recently upgraded my digital chain with Naim DAC-V1. I was pleasantly surprised by the synergy this DAC has with the rest of the system (which is logical of course - Naim synergy is achieved). The bass is very punchy, forward, tight, the mids and highs open, detailed and spacious.

Comparing the sound from the digital chain with my vinyl setup showed me some flaws in the analogue chain. I use Rega P3 with Rega Exact and Rega Aria. The sound is very pleasant, warm, dynamic but I miss the heavy forward bass punch that the DAC V1 introduced. I know the vinyl chain would sound different since we have different sound signature from the vinyl as a source, but still I think the sound is a bit muddy and lacks tightness.

I think the Rega Aria is a fantastic RIAA phono preamp, but I have a small concern there. I have an early first generation Aria and in a video from the Rega factory I heard Rega’s owner explaining that they found an improvement in the circuit, which they included in the preamp, without having a new model introduced. So I was thinking that there is a chance my unit might be from the first batches before this improvement. Usually Rega components have a bit more laid back and warm sound signature compared to the tight and dynamic Naim sound. So I’m not sure whether an upgrade for the turntable/cartridge setup or the RIAA phono might be more beneficial for my case.

I wonder what type of an upgrade would bring me those missing pieces the most:

1. Rega Exact → Rega Ania Pro
  2. P3 → P8 (keep the cartridge)
  3. Rega Aria → Naim Superline
  4. P3 + Exact → P8 + Rega Ania Pro

2 Likes

You can achieve more refinement or detail with all of the options but I would first demo another phono stage (and hopefully not too difficult to arrange an audition or try?).

For what you are describing, I believe a Whest phono stage would likely bring the punch and presence in the mid range you are missing. Anything in their range should be good and I find them to fit Naim very well. There are others and the Naim SL and NVC should be of course great in this respect too (your option 3).

What is the Planar 3 standing on?

Can your Planar 3 be fitted with a Neo psu? If so, have you got one?

2 Likes

The Planar is on a wooden pad from IKEA, mounted on anti vibration feet. I have a Neo psu and the ELBT belt.

1 Like

Don’t expect them to sound the same! There are more compromises in the vinyl process than digital, and when both are done well the digital can be the better sounding, though some people still prefer the vinyl sound. That doesn’t mean your vinyl can’t be improved - but be aware that some people spend a lot more on their vinyl source than digital.

+1 here.

Not Expensive, IMO… :expressionless:

You may be experiencing a case of your vinyl source not being good enough for the rest of your system. Also, in my experience, the bass of my digital source (in this case a Rega Saturn Mk3) is more “massive” than that of my vinyl source (P10 with Apheta3), despite the P10 not being lacking in the bass department (and also being a lot better with texture and nuance in the bass whereas the Saturn is more “monochrome”). So it may be a case of getting used to a different sound signature. A P8 would no doubt bring a lot of improvement in terms of detail and resolution but I doubt that it would significantly change the overall sound signature. I was never really a fan of the Exact cartridge whereas the Ania Pro is very good, so that might be an option. If it works out then you can move it to a P8 (or P6) if you want further improvement. Ideally, if you have dealer that would be willing to fit an Ania Pro to your P3 and let you compare the difference between the two cartridges with the same system that would of course be ideal.

1 Like

Also the bass on at least some vinyl is reduced to fit as otherwise it would require wider groove spacing and thus less music per LP side - this is particularly noticeable with LP sides more than about 20 min.

3 Likes

If I were you I would go for options 2 or 4. Going for option 2 doesn’t preclude upgrading to option 4 set-up later if you wish to spread the expense.

1 Like

I agree. I went from a p6/exact/aria to p8/ania pro/aria on a nds 500 system. The improvement is significant and much closer to digital quality, albeit different.

1 Like

You mentioned another thing I’m observing. Most LPs in my system sound a lot quieter and a bit hollow than my digital chain. So, indeed, this could be the different mastering used and its quality as a whole. For sure, upgrading the vinyl setup would bring more detail, realism, bigger soundstage but based on your comments not necessarily bring more weight and authority in the bass/mid-bass.

Upgrading my preamp section to NAC282 showed a lot clearly the difference between the digital and analogue sources I have and interestingly my digital chain started sounding better and my turntable system weaker and more hollow, so my initial thoughts were the preamp showed all of the flaws from the analogue source.

What’s the tracking force on the Exact?

1 Like

I recalibrate it regularly but last time it was between 1.748 and 1.752. I adjust the force by removing the woolen slipmat.

1 Like

Exact mm is warm and sluggish, replace it for a better mm/mc cart.

2 Likes

This doesn’t sound ideal. Regas like light and rigid, much like LP12s. Is this then going onto a heavy bit of furniture.

Also, the Exact is just not that great, IMO (and I’ve had one).

Lastly, a P3 is a bit of a stretch into a 282, IMO. I would think your best course of action is to improve the TT then cart, in that order.

2 Likes

The wooden pad is on a light thin wooden furniture which isn’t massive at all. And the turntable is unfortunately between the speakers around half a meter to each of them.

I disagree with the P3 being a stretch. I have run mine with a Hanna mc (sl) in to a fono mc and in to my 252 before now. It works very well. I think a better cart and phono stage may give you enough.

3 Likes

Rega Exact is an MM cartridge, you’ll need an MC cartridge to use with a SuperLine.

1 Like