F1 - 2020 Season

Just stop it. You’re only embarrassing yourself.

2 Likes

How do you work that out?

I am in good company then becauseI I think your statement last week about George Russell was someone who knows very little but thought it best not to comment

Its not looking so bad for the race, it started dry but a heavy rain shower has just gone through. Looking at the area radar I don’t see any more close by, it might not be so bad.
An Alfa & a Williams slid off in the wet & damaged the cars going around to the grid.
They were talking about a safety car start, but that does not look the case now, might be interesting. ###

No spoilers please! I’ll be watching on CH4 later😉

… as if … :wink:

This is so good I’ll be watching again on Ch4, see you there at 16:00

1 Like

Absolute masterclass!!

1 Like

Lols

1 Like

Congratulations on your seventh title, Lewis. Won it in style!

8 Likes

I am full on humble pie, can’t eat anymore, possibly his best drive.

10 Likes

This is a very special driver. Many congrats Lewis Hamilton - decimated the competition today in a car which ought not to have allowed this to happen - F1 champion for the seventh time. Superb stuff.

Peter

3 Likes

Well, this didn’t age well.

2 Likes

Awesome, undisputed win from Lewis Hamilton, coming from 6th position winning the race, championship (7th times) and levelled the record will Michael Schumacher. He has more wins (94), more poles (97) and more podiums (163) than any one before him.

2 Likes

Merely one of too many to list!

Indeed, the most successful driver in the history of F1.
I doubt, considering how we are moving away from internal combustion, that his eventual career records will ever be broken.

As for the nay sayers, those that believe its easy when you have the best car; yesterday on that tracks new surface & the wet throughout practice, qualifying & the race, the Merc was not the best car, far from it, RP & RB & even a hint that Ferrari were better, go ask Bottas.

1 Like

I am no chemical or mechanical engineer. I used to play with nitro rc cars and then eventually moved to electric. Both are so much fun. So much smoke and roar with combustion engine. With electric, there is so much power. We went from nicad to now lipo, from 2s to 8s. Electric is actually quicker than nitro. No clutch, no transmission, just raw speed until engine burns out. There was always so much waste (energy lost) with combustion engine. Mercedes Benz said it only just managed to yield about 50% of the energy in the fuel.

This is precisely why winning the Turkish grand prix was so great. Behind 5 cars, web slippery condition that opened up the race to many. Yet, Hamilton came out on top - undisputed. The kind of drama and excitement that F1 desperately need.

2 Likes

sorry I don’t follow

His car was working very well on a drying track, set up for a dryish track, Perez and Stroll were running away when it was wet and Hamilton struggled. He was super patient, unlike Max, and made No mistakes, he had the least pressure with nothing to prove, champion while Bottas made many errors, bided his time. As I said Excellent drive.

2 Likes

I think the only other driver to have a realistic claim to being the greatest ever is Juan Manuel Fangio.

The reason I claim this for both is that whilst for Lewis, the headline stats clearly standout, for Fangio it is the percentage of starts converted into wins etc.
Fangio: Wins 47%, Podiums 69%, Poles 57%, Hat tricks 13%
Hamilton: Wins 36%, Podiums 62%, Poles 37%, Hat tricks 6%

Both have a good claim to be the greatest ever, they have both repeatedly shown the ability to dynamically adjust their driving and manage a less than ideal situation. Both have remarkable ‘hard’ statistics and also astonishing, less easily defined, ‘soft’ abilities. Amazing racers both.

5 Likes

I think the modern Era of racing is the highest standard, so it’s very to compare Eras. Fangio was pretty incredible in his, like Nuvalari and Moss but just about every driver from 70/80s onward will have competed basically from the age of 8 years old almost every weekend. Whereas before they mainly started at 16 /17 years in dirt track competition etc. The level of professionalism etc is incomparable. Looking at the sheds Lotus etc used in the 60s to the bespoke mega factories and motor homes of the teams today. Fangio wasnt an athlete like today’s drivers but I am sure he would have adapted in the modern times, Senna changed the standards there and maybe Schumacher higher still. It’s just so different.