Emojis

One of the things that cause problems online tends to be the difficulty in reading the tone of someone else’s post. Emojis are a way of adding some nuance and tone to the words. I also tend to think they help make up for the lack of non-verbal communication so that posting :grinning::grinning: tells someone that you found their joke amusing in a similar way that a smile or laugh would, without writing “That was funny, I smiled”.
So for me they have value, or maybe my plan to stay youthful into my dotage is working.

10 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Emojis are for twitterface sub teens, not required in adult forums
Yes I’m a fully functioning bah humbug, crusty ol’ git, but if I need to make myself clear in basic simple forum web email communications by using them, time for me to quit.

1 Like

not required in adult focused forums

@Mike-B So emojis are perfect for this one then… :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

The perfect example. I’ve literally no idea what conceit that face is meant to convey.

@Mike-B They are just graphic shorthand, please don’t quit!

:drooling_face:

No clue.

1 Like

A picture paints a thousand words…

Maybe an emoji doesn’t quite have the full impact of 1000 words but it can be an efficient way of communicating sentiment that would otherwise need a rather clumsy rider to be added to the substance of a posting.

4 Likes

No, don’t worry, no intention of quitting, I’m just a crusty ol’ fart, past sell by date & doesn’t ‘get’ emojis, or the LOL stuff.

1 Like

Aw c’mon, they’re just a bit of fun … lighten up, perhaps, peeps. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Would If I could read them.

???.

I agree, though sometimes if making a comment intended to be humorous but potentially capable of being misconstrued it can be helpful to add a smiley (or variant thereof). This perhaps applies most when responding to someone whose first language isn’t English, when nuances may be more likely to be missed.

2 Likes

Mrs AC keeps messaging me with that one - it scares me. It’s horrible.

Edited now.

… we’z is lightenin’’ up, but they ain’t no fun

Course they are, get down wid de kids … or in my case, de grandkids.

It’s all good, just open de mind. :wink:.

I agree, they have a place in forums and other online discussions, simply because they are discussions, not essays. I think they require a different syntax to other forms of written communication to compensate for the fact that you can’t read the tone of voice and facial expressions that enrich a face to face conversation. An emoji can be an effective way to achieve this. All the more so for some of the people for whom English is a second language.

Exploding sausage, anyone…

2 Likes

At an average age of between 50 and 70 we should be able to communicate without using pictures, by no means am I one of the longest users of this forum but even I can remember a time when we all spoke to one another without them but so far it seems I’m in the minority here and have been shown up to be a bit of an old crusty by all of you ‘funsters’ out there.