F1 - 2020 Season

His car was working very well on a drying track, set up for a dryish track, Perez and Stroll were running away when it was wet and Hamilton struggled. He was super patient, unlike Max, and made No mistakes, he had the least pressure with nothing to prove, champion while Bottas made many errors, bided his time. As I said Excellent drive.

2 Likes

I think the only other driver to have a realistic claim to being the greatest ever is Juan Manuel Fangio.

The reason I claim this for both is that whilst for Lewis, the headline stats clearly standout, for Fangio it is the percentage of starts converted into wins etc.
Fangio: Wins 47%, Podiums 69%, Poles 57%, Hat tricks 13%
Hamilton: Wins 36%, Podiums 62%, Poles 37%, Hat tricks 6%

Both have a good claim to be the greatest ever, they have both repeatedly shown the ability to dynamically adjust their driving and manage a less than ideal situation. Both have remarkable ‘hard’ statistics and also astonishing, less easily defined, ‘soft’ abilities. Amazing racers both.

5 Likes

I think the modern Era of racing is the highest standard, so it’s very to compare Eras. Fangio was pretty incredible in his, like Nuvalari and Moss but just about every driver from 70/80s onward will have competed basically from the age of 8 years old almost every weekend. Whereas before they mainly started at 16 /17 years in dirt track competition etc. The level of professionalism etc is incomparable. Looking at the sheds Lotus etc used in the 60s to the bespoke mega factories and motor homes of the teams today. Fangio wasnt an athlete like today’s drivers but I am sure he would have adapted in the modern times, Senna changed the standards there and maybe Schumacher higher still. It’s just so different.

Still, I take my hat off to Juan Manuel Fangio and many drivers of that era. It was so much more dangerous back then. Drivers regularly died in race to the extent one reason they don’t wear seat belt (which is fitted) is so they can get out in time in case of fire which is almost guaranteed in an accident. Compound that with wwii, etc, it was a time difficult to fathom.

“My father was always telling me not to become too friendly with the driver, because one day, they die.”

Piero Ferrari recalls his father Enzo Ferrari telling him. Around 1 in 4 would have a major accident in a season, some of them wouldn’t survive.

Totally agree, they were a different breed back in the early 70s and before.

The usual top three in a class of their own, the rest didn’t get close.
I see CH4 highlights is a late start tonite at 8pm.

The cars would move about making it more interesting to watch, these days they are on rails until they aren’t!

All of the cars are now so reliable, perhaps too perfect.

1 Like

Well, since wings and slicks came in, that has been the case, and despite carefully chosen snippets of old footage suggesting cars of old were oversteering everywhere, they weren’t. Tyre wear, temperature etc have been major concerns for decades.

The car advantage has become a joke, to thinkk Bottas is the second best driver is rediculous.

Groundhog day!

1 Like

Groundhog Day was at least funny.

1 Like

True - perhaps a broken record should be in the Music Thread?

1 Like

Lol

F#####g J###s C###t

Thank f*** for that.

Good to see Grosjean is fine. That was scary!

1 Like

Yes scary, apart from the car in pieces, it also looks like the barrier is broken. Might be a long wait to make that safe.

Watching the escape now they’re showing it. That is the scariest thing I can remember. Split in half and the front end through the barrier. That halo has saved him, along with all the other safety measures on top.

1 Like

In consideration … the barrier failed, it was cut through & did not contain the impact.
Does that question the whole track safety ??

He hit a barrier a third of the way down the straight between turn 3 and turn 4. Not a place that the barriers are designed for someone hitting them at such an angle…