F1 - 2021 Season

I doubt the F1/FIA will allow that fiasco again, but (thinks) it is F1 so yer never know.

1 Like

Its stopped raining, looks like Qualification all set to go.

Interesting quali if you’re watching highlights later …
Looks like Max made the right decision to sit it out, it was pointless him/RB risking damage when the best he could hope for was 19th with his back of the grid penalty.
As for the rest, nothing of note, I got hints that the new Ferrari engine that Leclerc has might be a bit quicker than the old engine.
Three brits in the top 4 ‘but not necessarily in the right order’
But it’ll be a different track for tomorrows race.

Breaking news this morning …
… Bottas will take a grid penalty for another power unit change, he will start from P17.
Mercedes confirmed that the decision to switch up Bottas’ power unit – which was also changed for the Italian Grand Prix two weeks ago – was a tactical one (whatever that means)

Yes, quali was very interesting - right to the very end. Russell being very last minute in each session! And Hamilton took full responsibility for his errors that allowed Sainz, Russell and Norris ahead of him

It means that he’s in front of Verstappen, to hopefully prevent his advance through the field, and Perez (like Verstappen) will have to start from the dirty side of the track. Both Mercs both start on the clean side. A bit dirty to sacrifice Bottas like that, the gloves have truly come off

That’s just what I was meaning (tongue in cheek) when I said “whatever that means”

But speculation & what the plan actually is something else.
Personally I would like to see Max fight through to the points or even a podium.
But has Valtteri really got the means to keep Max behind, the Merc supposed to be faster at Sochi & he supposed to be a potential winner/podium - he was fastest in both FP’s - but he’s never been a balls to wall racer.
Then at the front, can Lewis see off the young bucks ??
Should be an interesting race.

Bottas should have a better start from that side of the track, and on the long straight the Merc might have the edge and be difficult to overtake. But we’ll see, I expect an entertaining race.

Vamos Fernando!

Hah, Giovanazzi also took a penalty moving Bottas to 16th, so now on the dirty side as well.

At the back of the grid, because they switch around so much in the run to the first corner, position is a lot more important than side of grid.

I feel sorry for Norris if it hadn’t rained he may have won. He probably should come in earlier.

3 Likes

A shame, he really deserved the win. Brave call to stay out, even if it didn’t work out in the end.

2 Likes

He got voted Driver of the Day!

1 Like

Great race - Kimi on P8. Too bad for Lando.

Strangely silent on Lewis’ achievement of 100 wins. It’s a bit arbitrary of course (as in it only has specific meaning because we have a decimal system. Sorry being a bit philosophical there :flushed:), but way ahead of anybody else

2 Likes

This is true, a bit like in the old days when the odometer on my car would trip over to 00000, it was just another mile, but ‘wow’ what an exciting mile that was! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes it has been a bit quiet on the LH100 milestone.
Problem in my mind is he’s been stuck on 99 for so long, it was a long wait.

Max has for sure been responsible for the long wait, as have the RB & Honda developments counterpoised by the Mercedes decision to limit W12 development & focus resources on development of the 2022 spec car & engine.

I have enjoyed, & followed, F1 since seeing my first live F1 race, the British GP at Brands Hach in 1965.

I don’t know why but, unlike my football team, I have never really had a favourite team or driver & have simply just enjoyed the racing & not really be bothered by who wins & looses.

However I do think LH100 is some achievement to be celebrated & find, for no reason whatsoever, that 100 wins is far more significant than a mere 99! I also think that this had been playing heavily on his mind & had been affecting his recent performances, despite him denying it.

I am not a cricket fan but have always thought that Sir Don Bradman must have cursed everyday of his life the day after he was bowled out in his final match about 4 runs (I think) short of the target needed to give him a test average of 100 instead of ‘just’ 99.94.

3 Likes

Neat piece from BBC about the direction of travel for F1.

Interesting that F1 and manufacturers seem to have already decided the future of planet friendly motoring is not going to be electric. At least not in its present form. Which we all kind of know anyway.

2 Likes