F1 - 2023 Season

Red Bull, easily the best/easiest car to drive. Max, is clear no.1 driver, so will win the drivers championship. RBR probably champs too, if Perez keeps his end up.

Ferrari, looks quick again. Drivers will take points off each other. Won’t win drivers championship, likely 2nd in constructors, unless they have strong reliability and strategy this time around which could see them sneak it.

Merc, definitely still lagging behind. Interesting that the shut lines suggest the bodywork is modular, pointing the way to the expectation that aero changes are likely. Perhaps stronger come European races!

Aston quick. Alonso, brilliant. They will take points off the top three no doubt.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to seeing what HAAS and Alfa-Romeo will do. They also have the retuned Ferrari engine.

Ferrari has supposedly been sandbagging. Rumour is 30-40kg more fuel than necessary on every run. Haven’t been on track with less than 20 at end of their run. If true it would explain their reported tire degradation issues.

Mercedes supposedly has a big update on hand. Hopefully not as extreme as last year between testing and first race. Curious how much performance that will bring. They do have a history of sandbagging, although last year…

I don’t think anyone is showing their true form there, not even Red Bull. The truth will be revealed this weekend.

1 Like

Oh dear! Why do I have a sense of déjà vu.?!

Much as predicted.

RBR
Ferrari
Alonso
Merc
Everyone else

Excellent qualifying, exciting. A good close season ahead I think. Closest from front back ever.

1 Like

Was it really predicted for the whole field to be this close? We have even had a Haas in Q3. Fastest and slowest across all sessions is less than 2.5 seconds.

I wasn’t driving at that, but when you think about it, they’ve had 27 hours practice this time around so it’s not a surprise…

Interesting that the field was so close. Although they have been practising here for a while as @Jamiewednesday points out.

I wonder whether there will be some issues with long run reliability to make tomorrow more interesting

Possibly, but reliability was pretty good in testing.

More likely that some bits will fall of Leclerc’s Ferrari again, while Sainz bins it into a wall somewhere.

Alonso up for a podium if AM get their tactics right and Lewis or George finishing in tandem, the order depending who gets what turns out to be the best of the pit stop arrangements based on hindsight.

Now we have to wait and see how the long-run pecking order sorts itself out. Hopefully, the RBs won’t be as far ahead as predicted.

1 Like

Saw the qualifying this afternoon and saw an interview with Fred Vasseur on C4 this evening. What a lovely guy and a great sense of humour. He’s been around for years and have mentored Le Clerc and Sainz. Looking forward to seeing how this past relationship translates into performance and results during his tenure as chief in charge of one of the most volatile teams in f1. Should be interesting.

Reliable but fragile then. Let’s just hope for a race rather than a procession.

I suspect it will be a good race, for 3rd!

I hope Ferrari put their fragilities behind them, however they’ve been like that for decades now, bar the Ross Brawn years.

I also suspect that the Merc. will indeed now look a bit different in a few races time. They’ve made it a better car, ironing out the bouncing from last year, but it’s fundamentally flawed, Aston Martin have proved that. Frankly, I can’t remember any time when the far and away ugliest car on the grid was also the fastest. It’s just a wrongun’.

It is nice to have Alonso’s talent in the mix though.

4 Likes

U-Huh…

If you removed the Red Bulls, clearly in a league of their own at the moment, it would have been a great race.

3 Likes

Rarely do I give up on a GP race- but todays completely lacked any entertainment for me.
Hopefully future races will be more competitive at the front.
On another note- missing the GOAT - Nick Latiffi- always good for a safety car to make the races interesting :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Yes. Stroll left the track a few times but avoided the wall. And Leclerc managed to park his far too carefully. Bring back Nelson Piquet Jr

2 Likes

Toto and the rest must be kicking themselves. How the heck did Alonso - at 41 - and AM manage to outperform both Mercs with exactly the same engine. :thinking:

1 Like