Fascinating Maps and diagrams

You’re looking for something that’s not there sir.

I have the British Isles one, it’s pretty hard to photograph to get the names in as they are tiny, so I’ve included a close up of a section of the South West.

2 Likes

I believe that back in the 70s there was in Dorset a Flyford Flavell and North Piddle District Council.

Both Flyford Flavell and North Piddle are in Worcestershire. As is Wyre Piddle. :smiley:
There’s Piddle Brook too.

2 Likes

When I was little my parents had a tea towel. On it was:

“There’s Upton Snodsbury, Peopleton and Crowle, North Piddle, Wyre Piddle and Piddle in the Hole”

2 Likes

My daughter learned to ride at Crowle. All still rural, though Crowle has a small housing estate on the outskirts now.

1 Like

Oh…… :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Interesting story regarding a redesigned version of the London Underground map.

7 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

That’s Wisconsin isn’t it? Where all the breweries are?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Very interesting. The rapid change from Middle English to Early Modern English is amazing (to me anyway!). Chaucer died in 1400 and understanding his tales for a non expert requires a lot of help. If you read a letter from Henry VlI a hundred years later it is easy to understand with just a few archaic spellings. Just as strange is that gender spellings disappeared in just 50 years during the time of King Stephen and Matilda but are still prevalent in European languages.

2 Likes

8 Likes

I’m sending that to my Welsh friend.

1 Like

I feel that Romney Marsh is under represented.

3 Likes

Low density in Iceland? Yet, Icelandic wool is a premium product!

1 Like

We used to study Chaucer for ‘A’ level literature then at university. It is not too difficult to understand the original in an edition with notes. As can be seen the late 14C Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is a tougher read:

'siþen þe sege and þe assaut watz sesed at troye

þe bor3 brittened and brent to brondez and askez

þe tulk þat þe trammes of tresoun þer wro3t

watz tried for his tricherie þe trewest on erþe.’

The poem was written in a South East Cheshire dialect which didn’t develop into modern English, unlike Chaucer’s Southern variety.

1 Like

4 Likes