Fascinating Maps and diagrams

The Emperor Trajan made further improvements to the Claudian harbor by excavating an area further inland. Trajan’s harbor was hexagonal, expanding the port by an additional 33 hectares. The depth of the water was five meters. Each side of the hexagon was lined with docks and warehouses. Trajan also installed a colossal statue of himself at the entrance. www.chi-rhogroup.com

4 Likes

Traditional hats of Europe - Love a good hat!

11 Likes

7 Likes

There’s a funny Twitter account @terriblemaps.

That hats map is there . . . and many many other funny ones.

1 Like

It’s reversed in India isn’t it? I remember as a child in the 50s going to a doctor in Chichester and that symbol was on an electric fire or fire place in the waiting room and thinking he might be a secret Nazi.

1 Like

It is indeed. But I still can’t look over it without noticing

I know what you mean - the connotations are just too strong.

We have various maps, atlas and globes. This one is a favourite. Bought in Siberia, one of our 3 trips to the USSR. 1982, 83 & 85. Map cost about 15p ! Please excuse poor photo.

5 Likes

My parents moved to New Zealand. It’s always amused me that my grandmother had a framed world map on the wall… Which didn’t even have New Zealand on it!

2 Likes

This is more like it. Found this with Google. Outside the LSE London.

7 Likes

Cor, look at all that pink!

Didn’t know we owned all that.

2 Likes

Is it upside down for a reason, or have I missed something?

1 Like

@SteveD … it’s a ‘sculpture’ showing NZ, AUS at the top of the world rather than us in the northern hemisphere. I just happened upon it. …the wonder of Google and the web. As @anon39880737 mentioned, some world maps don’t even show New Zealand.

1 Like

I’ve always been interested in the map of Tassie

There was a huge uproar a few years back when it wasn’t included on a map of Australia during the Commonwealth Games.

5 Likes

I remember that. Was it just to annoy Ricky Ponting??

Not sure although it didn’t take much to annoy him.

1 Like

The 13th century Mappa Mundi Hereford Cathedral.

3 Likes

Edward Tufte’s critique of powerpoint is devastating. Sadly before I retired from university teaching we were instructed to create powerpoints for all lectures which could be read by students in their own time. At least there was the making of films, but it suggests that any subject could or should be reduced to to 5 bullet points.

1 Like

Black Country Canal Map
http://www.lockmastermaps.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/12black_country_canals.jpg

3 Likes

I have worked in an organisation where strategy papers and the like were produced on PowerPoint. They were produced as bulleted big chunks of text. Not the easiest of ways to work.

2 Likes