Fascinating Maps and diagrams

Not the easiest to present either. If you have large blocks of text your audience spend their time reading that and ignoring you.

Best to have a few key words or a diagram

3 Likes

I’ve used Microsoft Sway a couple of years ago. But this seems to be discontinued from further developments! Anyway, back to maps.

1 Like

There is an ongoing project to digitally map Church of England graveyards in England. So far there are two pilot sites. You can zoom in to see who is buried and their dates.

https://kirkburton.burialgrounds.co.uk/mapmanagement/#/

https://shelley.burialgrounds.co.uk/mapmanagement/#/

Potentially this could be linked to family histories, but there’s a long way to go.
https://agintl.org/burial-ground-management-survey/

1 Like

Also my black cat Luigino owns a map!
cat's map

10 Likes

As defined by the United Nations

2 Likes

3 Likes

One great technique when presenting is to black out the presentation when you really want to audience to listen to you and not stare at / read your slides.

A friend of mine who’s a trial lawyer taught me that. He does it a lot in the courtroom when he really wants the judge or jury to pay attention to what he’s saying. It works.

2 Likes

Map of Germany at sometime during WW2

3 Likes

Map of west Arnhem.

Interesting that it is dated Sept 44, Operation Market Garden commenced on the 17th Sept 44.

4 Likes

The Roman road network extended into Cornwall new research by Exeter University has revealed.

1 Like

In a bar in Arnhem in 1977, we had beers bought for us all evening at the locals’ insistence, because of Market Garden. It was not only a generous and warm welcome, but also an educational lesson about the war for us young carefree Londoners.

3 Likes

Hi Fatcat, I’ve been to Arnhem a few times to visit my father’s grave in the Airborne War Cemetery. I have a sizeable amount of history & detail including maps.
This is a section of the grid reference map used in the battle, it only shows land marks such as roads, rail, river & population areas, there is zero other detail other than the all important numbered grid lines.

7 Likes

It surprises me that Fliegerhorst Deelen (important German airfield during ww2) and the rail track to is for supplies is not on the map.

The other way around also existed. There was a German joke to ask in Rotterdam at the tourist office ‘where is der Altstadt?’. This usually ended up in a fight.

1 Like

Hi @Ardbeg10y … the airfield at Fliegerhorst Deelen is/was located aprx 10/12km north of Arnhem and beyond the map range.
Prior to the Market Garden it was bombed a number of times causing it to be inoperable as an airfield at the time of the battle in September.
I am not sure about any rail line to the airfield, its not shown on any maps that I can find.
Whatever the only purpose of this map is grid references in relation to the area around Arnhem.

1 Like

Useful for some, interesting for others …

And this site is interesting too:

4 Likes

Relief map of the Lakes.

Makes it easy to see a route that suits the weather before we jump in the car and head to the lakes, which are about an hour away from my house.

However long I look at this map, I can still never get a clear map of the Lake District in my head, despite going walking there since the 1960s.

5 Likes

I have a similar relief map @JimDog and also a stylised map of the fells which Mrs. G. and I were marking off as we did them together. We lived on the western edge of the Lake District for 10 years. Alas arthritis got the better of me and I could no longer safely get down the fells. Eventually we moved south for the sake of my knees. Turned out to be a good move.

5 Likes

So you know Lal Ratty, then.

And the wonderful YHA at Eskdale.

And the Wasdale Head Inn…

A wild and woolly part of England that I love.

1 Like

Yes to all. I was frequently found at the Wasdale Head Inn testing beers for Howard from his micro-brewery there. Used to get press ganged into helping restock the mountain rescue emergency boxes at Sty Head and Mickledore. So many stories…

1 Like