Fav Jools Holland Discoveries and Performances

Not a discovery but what a performance; Paolo Nutini Live No Other Way HD Jools New Year's Eve 2014 - YouTube

Yes, Paolo Nutini, great artist but so little output. Not even sure if he is still making music?

He is due to start singing live later this year.

For me my most notable discoveries are

Alabama shakes
Future islands
Christine and the queens &
Margo Price

1 Like

I enjoy seeing Future Islands play, never a dull moment with Mr Herring

2 Likes

Seeing Jools’s shows reminds me of how few decent music shows there are. Old Grey Whistle Test had some wonderful stuff, and after that The Tube was good. Jools these days seems self indulgent and more of an opportunity to play his bloody piano when it’s not required.

3 Likes

Lots of great Reggae performances over the years from Gregory Isaacs, Buju Banton and Junior Murvin but the one that really sticks out is Jimmy Cliff and more recently Chronixx

1 Like

The best thing about Jools where the duets and this was about the best and why we are on the subject of Amy

2 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better myself. :0)

The thing about the OGWT was none of the presenters thought they were the stars of the show.

I remember when Bob Harris introduced Sham 69 singing ‘There is gonna be a Borstal Breakout’ saying that maybe your cup of tea but it’s not mine. Bob was gone in few weeks and Annie Nightingale took over.

1 Like

I also remember him describing The New York Dolls as ‘mock rock’

1 Like

Discovered Arthur Lee in 2003.

Managed to see him perform live 3 or 4 times (before he passed :grinning:).

The real-deal. Top notch showman.

1 Like

Well, criticizing your guests, whether you like them or not, is probably not the best idea and you could argue that is in fact making them the star of the show (or even self indulgent perhaps).

I remember seeing them on TV, and the cameraman was having a hard time keeping him in shot!

2 Likes

Souad Massi was so elegant, composed and ethereal voiced compared to the show ponies around her. She of course only got one song but made a real impression. Finally got to see her at the Barbican opening for (I think) Amadou & Mariam - held the audience spellbound.

1 Like

K.T. Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree.

An absolutely stunning first appearance from Kate, and which brought her to the Nation’s attention.

The rest of the bands looking on were very appreciative too, judging from the applause.

11 Likes

Nice one Dave, I was trying to post this the other day but could not get the video to load onto the forum. I also seem to remember that she was a last minute replacement guest and certainly took her chance. You can’t knock her use of the "Wee Bastard Pedal " that’s for sure :+1:

1 Like

She replaced the New York rapper Nas at 24 hours notice … … … phew, that was a lucky escape pour moi.

1 Like

Nas who? :laughing:

Exactly. :roll_eyes:

1 Like