Favourite Easter Music

Just listening to a recent Qobuz purchase of Handel’s Messiah - the 2007 Davis recording. Rather enjoying it. What is your favourite Easter recording, and why?

1 Like

One of my favourite sets …

1 Like

For a contrast…

1 Like

John Eliot Gardiner’s personal selection of Easter choral music inspired by his family’s annual Easter play at his home in, Dorset. Performed by The Monteverdi Choir.

4 Likes

Here is another one I am enjoying this evening

Stabat Mater dolorosa: Music for Passiontide

2 Likes

Absolutely… and there are some nerve tingling renditions of this wonderful hymn. I must have four different versions of it in my collection.

1 Like

Anything by Echo And The Bunnymen or Bunny Wailer.

3 Likes

St Matthew Passion, live or the Harnoncourt recording.

1 Like

Bit of a cheat since it’s really about the day of reckoning, but it does get a few plays around Easter. Mahler #2. This is an excellent new version.

Images

1 Like

1 Like

Some great choices there but I’m amazed no-one’s yet suggested either the St Matthew or St John Passions by JSB.

A mate of mine is singing the Evangelists’s part in the John Passion at Malmesbury Abbey this Saturday - I may well pop along.

My favourite Holy Week listening is Stainer’s Crucifixion - the very first I ever sung with a choir. Manchester Cathedral, March 1986. This recording does its best to tame St Paul’s excessive acoustic:

Mark

3 Likes

Another Messiah here, but this time the Paul McCreesh & Gabrieli Consort on Archiv from 1997. And, shock horror for yours truly, it’s not on LP but on CD!

1 Like

I suggested Harnoncourt’s Matthew above. I forgot to add a picture.

My first introduction to the Messiah was this LP, and I still find it an absorbing and enjoyable listen. Perhaps after 35 years I should try something different!

3 Likes

Chris, that is a mighty fine Messiah to have on vinyl. Still one of my favourites.

So many versions of the Messiah. I came across this recently, but I still prefer my Beecham and Trevor Pinnock versions.

2 Likes

So you did. My bad.

Sorry, wasn’t meant to sound critical of you, just to plug my favourite version, although I am also very fond of my original vinyl copies of both Gardiners

2 Likes

Indeed, and I still have it on vinyl despite having flogged the LP12, so a CD had to be purchased!

Ooh, nice. I’ve ‘just’ got the box set of Xmas/Matt/John/B minor:

image http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/imgs/s300x300/4697692.jpg

Great value, sure, but worthless when it comes to posting nice pictures.

Mark

1 Like